'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if this has been covered, but how easy would it be to pull these coaches apart? I'm thinking of people who want to do their own liveries, etc., also sticking passengers inside. I'm mulling over Cambrian possibilities.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/10/2019 at 11:11, Hattons Dave said:

GenesisHeader.jpg.ce8a1ef5fa940aada86ddb18e3b6dad4.jpg

Today we’re excited to announce our new rolling stock project in OO Gauge, Genesis 4 & 6 wheel coaches.

In the mid to late 1800s, the many operating companies in the UK were 

producing their own versions of the 4 and 6 wheel coach, which introduced many features onto the railways - lighting, continuous braking and even upholstered seats for all passengers. This led to them being a very common sight. 

Many designs consisted of only a handful of coaches, built to fill a specific need. These would also only wear the colours of the company they were built for. A good number were absorbed at the 1923 grouping and some found new leases of life on branches that were in need of simple stock to run on them. Some were taken into departmental stock or used by sheds and depots as simple stores vans and used until the 1950s.

Project Genesis faithfully represents the trains of the Era 2 & 3 period and brings modellers the opportunity to run a detailed train of coaches in liveries not normally seen in ready-to-run form.

Product Specification

• Lit and unlit options
  • Lit versions have an 18 pin digital decoder socket
  • Warm yellow LEDs used on lit versions
  • 6 different body toolings
  • 2 fully detailed underframes
  • Optional lower footboards
  • Full brake rigging
  • Fine detailing on panelling
  • Painted interiors
  • Optional semi-permanent coupling bar representing a coupling chain
  • 3 types of wheels (Mansell, 3 hole and disc)
  • 3 types of roof furniture (oil lamps, gas lamps, electric lights)
  • Removable centre wheelset on 6 wheel coaches
  • Sliding centre wheelset on 6 wheel coaches for tight curves
  • Fully lined liveries to the original company specifications
  • Unique running numbers between single coaches and packs
  • Carefully selected running numbers to fit with companies numbering systems
  • Packs of coaches to create an instant train
  • RP25 wheel profile
  • NEM pockets
  • Minimum radius - Radius 2 (438mm)

Tooling Variations

• 4-wheel chassis
  • 6-wheel chassis (features removable center axle and replacement framing)
  • 4-wheel bodies (4 compartment, 5 compartment and brake)

GenesisVariations.JPG.e10d42e5a4123326d9ceaf1d20e9afaa.JPG

• 6-wheel bodies (4 compartment lavatory, 5 compartment and brake)
  • Coach ends (plain, footsteps, 4 wheel brake, 6 wheel brake)
  • Roof furniture (Oil lights, gas lights, electric lights)

Coach Types

Using the above tooling variations we are able to produce a range of coaches. These include:

BT - Brake, Third Class

T - Third Class

S - Second Class

F - First Class

C12 - Composite (First and Second class)

C13 - Composite (First and Third class)

C123 - Tri-composite (First, Second & Third class)

CL - Composite Lavatory

Liveries

Batch 1

For our first batch we are initially releasing 7 main liveries with a mixture of coach types between each livery. These will be available from Q1 2021.
H4-46Pack-101_cat1.jpg.b2439c1b2090af1642f83b30fef7e8dd.jpg
GWR - Great Western Railway - ‘Chocolate and Cream’ livery with brown lining

H4-46Pack-201_cat1.jpg.82f108b50dcec71b061fe3e2a906b405.jpg

GNR - Great Northern Railway - ‘Teak’ livery with yellow and blue lining

H4-46Pack-301_cat1.jpg.d374b7b2cc1adf6bd9fee0995d853096.jpg

LNWR - London & North Western Railway - ‘Plum and spilt milk’ fully lined

H4-46Pack-401_cat1.jpg.1eadb73c34bcfc84230aeae41f482ff8.jpg

SECR - South Eastern & Chatham Railway - ‘Crimson Lake’ lined

H4-46Pack-501_cat1.jpg.4acea1b2723d2b9e6d74d5bb36c84683.jpg

LMS - London Midland & Scottish Railway - ‘Midland style’ crimson

H4-46Pack-601_cat1.jpg.412029ce7d9cb6de938c42ec01c26ce4.jpg

LNER - London North Eastern Railway - ‘Pre-war brown’

H4-46Pack-701_cat1.jpg.ee1ef7e8086e0f7c89b5b44049ed6d25.jpg

SR - Southern Railway - ‘Maunsell Olive Green’ with yellow lining

H4-6BT-901B_cat1.jpg.bb501dd1929aea570308d10eab732cf0.jpgH4-6BT-901C_cat1.jpg.1f00b8c4b31949b3ab2a2a5f58081b53.jpg

British Railways - Departmental

Batch 2

We are also announcing plans for a second batch of coaches with further liveries which are not covered as part of Batch 1. These are available to pre-order but at this time do not have a confirmed release date. We will provide more information following the release of Batch 1 in Q1 2021.

GCR - Great Central Railway brown and grey

GER - Great Eastern Railway chocolate

L&Y - Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway brown and tan

MR - Midland Railway crimson

LSWR - London & South Western Railway brown and tan

BR - British Railways crimson

NCB - National Coal Board blue

Batch 3

We will be producing a third batch of coaches which will be available following on from the release of the first two batches but are not currently available to pre-order. Currently proposed liveries are:

North Eastern Railway

Caledonian Railway

Metropolitan Railway

Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway

Longmoor Military Railway

Further BR Departmental examples

Pricing

Coaches will be available as single items as well as packs of four. Coach numbers will be different between single coaches and those from packs.

Single unlit coach - £30

3 pack of unlit coaches - £85

4 pack of unlit coaches - £110

Single lit coach - £36

3 pack of lit coaches - £99

4 pack of lit coaches - £135

Availability

Delivery for Batch 1 will begin in Q1 2021

Not all models will be available at the same time but all models within a specific livery will be released at the same time.

For full information on the project and to read more information visit www.hattons.co.uk/genesis

Can you guess which ones I am most likely looking forward to as well as getting? If you guessed the LNWR, GWR, Midland, GNR and SECR ones, you are right. Those are the ones I would definitely get hence my love of Pre-Grouping Steam.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just in case any innocents out there might be misled into thinking that slab-sided monstrosity even remotely resembles anything Hatton's are planning, that is "Emily's Coach" from the Bachmann Thomas range....

Goes quite well with Hornby's 4-wheelers.

I once bought one to see if there was anything I could do with it - there really wasn't.:jester:

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought Jenny's (unscripted?) review was a little long-winded and repetitive but the models spoke for themselves and I feel some more pre-orders coming on....

They look way better than I was expecting/hoping.

Would have liked to see some closer shots of the six-wheelers going over some crossovers/slips.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just in case any innocents out there might be misled into thinking that slab-sided monstrosity even remotely resembles anything Hatton's are planning, that is "Emily's Coach" from the Bachmann Thomas range....

Goes quite well with Hornby's 4-wheelers.

I once bought one to see if there was anything I could do with it - there really wasn't.:jester:

John 

No need to say any more. But having said that Bachmann's other 'Thomas' coach, based (vaguely) on the Wisbech and Upwell coaches is not too bad. 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

I had the honour of running the EP samples on my layout and reviewing them.

Here is the video: 

This video was produced with the permission of Hattons and posted after the embargo so no idea why the post was removed Without explanation before. 

I agree with Jenny about the blue/grey livery.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

We’re pleased to share the engineering samples of our Genesis 4 & 6 wheel coaches.

These initial undecorated samples showcase the exquisite levels of detail we're striving for with our new coaches, the different coach type variations as well as some of the more subtle detail differences such as alternative roof furniture and wheel types. 

As with all engineering samples, there are some changes to be made and they are subject to review.

Videos of the samples running as well as detailed photos can be viewed via the following link:

Hattons Originals Genesis coaches - Engineering Prototypes

As ever, please let us know what you think in this thread or via the Disqus box on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

Genesis_sample_RMweb1.jpg.e64ff0a1fa0780243057d061fb41efcd.jpgGenesis_sample_RMweb2.jpg.8e14520ea70683e5c342c69dff8e2248.jpg

These really are looking exquisite. If there's one think that really leaps out at me from these EP photos, it's the roof detail on the gas lit carriages. Are these really £30 models?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

On 18/09/2020 at 21:10, Colin_McLeod said:

The newest camping coach and far from its original home, must be ex BR mk3 sleeper coach No 10651 which is now at Whitehead, Co. Antrim for use as overnight accommodation for RPSI volunteers with an early start to get locomotives steamed up for railtours etc.

The coach was renumbered "Caravan No 26" being the next number in the series of LMS NCC camping coaches.

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/26/26-mk3-sleeper-carriage

20200918_210007.jpg.ce462dabf4ac56cedd3d7e317e49d92e.jpg

Photos from RPSI web site.

Interesting question - is it stood on 4'8.5" gauge track or 5'3"?? 

It would seem extravagant to regauge /rebogie a coach to stand on a detached bit of plain track

• Like 2

These are looking absolutely exquisite, and I can't wait to get my hands on them. I suspect there may be a bit of a clear-out of my stash of stock that's no longer required for the current project. Anyone for a full-length Raspberry Ripple Hornby HST? :jester:

The lighting looks nice, but in Jenny Emily's video it seems to flicker a bit when in motion - will there be some sort of capacitor build into the circuit board to help with this?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

The lighting looks nice, but in Jenny Emily's video it seems to flicker a bit when in motion - will there be some sort of capacitor build into the circuit board to help with this?

Also, I think, a bit on the bright side for oil lighting! I hope the brightness will be appropriate to the method of illumination, viz:

• electric: dim
  • gas: dimmer
  • oil: mostly smell.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

With how easy the roof is to remove, it ought to be less than a minute's work to put a suitable blob of paint over the LED to dim it!

Ought to be sorted at the factory with the appropriate resistor in series. But perhaps with oil paint one might get the oily stink?

• Funny 7

It could be argued that there's little point in adding the lighting if it's so dim you can't see it. That being said, the best of both worlds would be having a small potentiometer to allow the end customer to set their desired brightness level. I assume this is an option if using a DCC decoder, but I'm old fashioned and using DC. 

• Like 2

I was originally going to order a bunch with the lighting in myself, but decided not to on the basis that I’ve actually never been satisfied with the way that model coach lights look under normal conditions - either so dim that they may as well not be on or so bright that the passengers would be clutching their hands to their eyes. So my first rake will be for a mix of liveries with no lighting.

however, among my innumerable future planned layouts, I would like to model a winters night, and this sort of lighting would be utterly perfect. So am going to purchase one or two sooner or later :)

These are looking very good indeed - the sliding centre wheel set is a bit glaring on occasion through the reverse curves of the points but I think that that is possibly a combination of tight radius, close up shot, unsympathetic paint scheme not hiding anything and over critical eye - I do like that the wheel sets are removable though - very handy

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the lit coaches would be perfect for running around the base of a Christmas Tree!

Lovely models, so much better than I was expecting. They seem to have real character.

The sole survivor, that made it into BR blue/grey, gets my vote for "yes please"!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The problem with lighting is that most of us tend not to run our layouts in the dark! Even those of us who like the use of lighting effects (and that can be things like yard lights and street lamps as well as loco and rolling stock lights) tend to do it in light levels that are probably better described as "gloomy" rather than dark. Imagine a layout at Warley that doesn't have its own floodlights, and you get the idea :)

So for coach lighting to be visible at all, it has to be bright enough to work over at least some background lighting. But then it's probably a bit too bright for real darkness. As with all such things, it's a compromise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1