'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

If you wanted to go bogie then just do what the GER (and possibly others) did - take two 4 wheeler bodies 2(27ft in this case) and place them on a 54ft underframe.

Instant bogie coaches at budget costing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

If you wanted to go bogie then just do what the GER (and possibly others) did - take two 4 wheeler bodies 2(27ft in this case) and place them on a 54ft underframe.

Instant bogie coaches at budget costing.

The SECR also did similar although slightly more butchery envolved by combining bodies from multiple vehicles on lengthened underframes.

This coach has the body from 3 different 6 wheelers and the underframe from another 2 joined together. 

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1050b.html

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Also the LNWR, producing 56 ft-ers from pairs of 28 ft-ers, 60 ft-ers from 30 ft 6-wheelers, in the early 20s. 

But, I submit, these are not the carriages we are looking for. The idea would be for short bogie carriages to complement the 4- and 6-wheelers, preserving the short and compact ethos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Are you sure? I can't think of any such LNER vehicles at that time which would be in passenger service on any route compatible with an A4. It might be out on test with some ancient vehicles not in passenger service.

Er... the LNER still had nearly 3000 4 and 6 wheel coaches in passenger traffic at the end of 1934, 90+ % of them 6 wheelers. The great bulk of them were in the Southern Area, and while the GE Section was the biggest user there were quite a few GN and GC 6 wheelers still in use (we did this one early in the thread)

So yes - I can well imagine some minor S Yorkshire branch passenger services with 6 wheelers in 1935-6

The LNER Southern Area was the last redoubt of the 6 wheeler in revenue service

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Er... the LNER still had nearly 3000 4 and 6 wheel coaches in passenger traffic at the end of 1934, 90+ % of them 6 wheelers. The great bulk of them were in the Southern Area, and while the GE Section was the biggest user there were quite a few GN and GC 6 wheelers still in use (we did this one early in the thread)

So yes - I can well imagine some minor S Yorkshire branch passenger services with 6 wheelers in 1935-6

The LNER Southern Area was the last redoubt of the 6 wheeler in revenue service

Yes, a branch train with 6-wheel coaches. But how many branches, close to Doncaster works, could accommodate an A4?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, a branch train with 6-wheel coaches. But how many branches, close to Doncaster works, could accommodate an A4?

In South Yorkshire they would have been colliery branches - so would have to accommodate an ROD 2-8-0

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The SECR also did similar although slightly more butchery envolved by combining bodies from multiple vehicles on lengthened underframes.

This coach has the body from 3 different 6 wheelers and the underframe from another 2 joined together. 

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1050b.html

NOPE ! ......... the story's correct but that was done in Southern Railway days. The principle was then applied to legions of coaches - of all three major constituents - rebuilt for electric sets. Later, the Southern used bogie 'donors' to create the 59' Maunsell rebuilds as modelled by Hornby. ( 1050 was a one-off and never ran in an electric  set.)

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

6-wheelers aren't new to modelling—Roco and others have long modelled the German rebuilt 6-wheel coaches (“umbauwagen") that remained in DB service until about 1980, using a mechanism similar to that Hattons are employing on these models. (DR in East Germany had 4- and 6-wheel rebuilt coaches (“rekowagen") until even later than that.

• Like 2

On 03/10/2020 at 19:01, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think the standard running-in route was Doncaster to Grantham or possibly Peterborough and back. There's a photo of Mallard in 1938 at Askham Tunnel hauling a train with a 6 wheel D.303 full brake at the front.

The 1:40 King's Cross to York, Scarborough, Ripon and Bridlington had a 6 wheel full brake at the front to carry linen for York. It's very possible that this would've been hauled by an A4, if not it would have been an A1/A3 or a C1.

In the '30s the 3:30 Peterborough to Grantham was always hauled by a Grantham pacific as a balancing turn to get the engine home. This would sometimes have at least one 6 wheeler.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

In case you missed it, SamsTrains has also produced an overview view of the Genesis Coach prototypes which provides a number of extra views and closeups.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnd said:

Now for a set in LMS crimson to run behind a Coal Tank, L&Y tank or the forthcoming Johnson tank! 

They are indeed in tranche 1, the livery having been discussed recently - 6 wheelers only, though for some peculiar reason the lavatory composite is being offered as a 4-wheeler, which is most odd.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just rediscovered this and I think, in the workshops of the Lowgill, Sedbergh and Ingleton Railway company a few hard working staff and volunteers are putting the finishing touches to one (or more) of these, to be launched in LNWR livery as the railway’s vintage rake (to run with a LNWR bogie all 3rd that’s also under restoration).  I can see an L&Y example following.  Lovely.

Owain

• Like 3

The lines from Darlington to Middleton in Teesdale and Richmond could, and did.  I've seen 60004 shunting the Grieveson & Whitwell sidings at Faverdale running in from Darlington works.

It would have gone up the line as far as the end of Darlington (Chemical & Insulating Co) and maybe up the Forcett branch as that was still working at the time (just), but Forcett wasn't worked every day so that is possible but not probable. The twig line to Catterick Camp that left the Richmond branch at Catterick Bridge could accommodate big engines and hosted V2s on a regular basis, though I'm not sure if a pacific got up there.  

In the North East most lines were Route Availability 9, so ancient stock and big engines were quite possible.  In Scotland there is a picture I've seen of an A4 at Edinburgh Waverley in BR late crest livery coupled to a celerestory coach that was definitely pre-WW1 in origin and maybe a sight older.  

I also remember a couple of 6-wheeled parcels brakes knocking around the Darlington area, but can't remember exactly which siding they were parked on.  this would be after 1963.

Les

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was once in conversation with somebody who recalled 6 wheelers being used on Doncaster to Leeds stopping trains in the 1940s.

Not really a branch line but 6 wheelers and A4s were certainly seen together for quite a while.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Budgie said:

What? No toilets?

Camping coaches in general were not equipped with toilets. The campers generally had to use the facilities of the station where the coaches were placed. As the majority of coaches fitted with toilets flushed straight onto the track it would not be suitable for a static coach.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5