'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

In the heyday of the camping coach, many houses - including those of people in an income bracket to whom a camping coach holiday might appeal - had outside loos so there was no particularly unusual discomfort involved. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the camping coach drawings. It appears that the smaller coach was a five compartment third and the larger coach was a brake composite. Bearing in mind that they are general arrangement drawings at best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Looking at the camping coach drawings. It appears that the smaller coach was a five compartment third 

In which case the twin bed rooms are somewhere in the range 5'10" to 6'6" or so  between partitions, which doesn't leave much space between a pair of single bed-frames. No double beds. Would you want "coach" as your middle name?

• Funny 5

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

In which case the twin bed rooms are somewhere in the range 5'10" to 6'6" or so  between partitions, which doesn't leave much space between a pair of single bed-frames. No double beds. Would you want "coach" as your middle name?

Someone I knew many years ago, his middle name was 'Cedric' after the ship he was born on.

These days I suppose it would be something like 'Pride of Bilbao'

• Funny 5

22 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Someone I knew many years ago, his middle name was 'Cedric' after the ship he was born on.

Not a case of being conceived in the back of a Datsun Cedric then?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Back on subject. I've been looking at the inspection saloons thread. Though it deals with more modern rolling stock I recalled a few railway companies had six wheel inspection saloons in the Victorian and Edwardian eras some of which survived into BR days.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

I suppose better that than being called "Queen Mary II"

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I recalled a few railway companies had six wheel inspection saloons in the Victorian and Edwardian eras some of which survived into BR days.

Yes, certainly LNWR and Midland. Open balconies a feature.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

One LNWR Inspection Saloon became the property of the Longmoor Military Railway and I beleive is now on the K&ESR. That is a 30' 1" six wheel double veranda version, for which London Road Models produce an etched kit. IN LMR ownership it was painted "Prussian" blue.

An example of a LNWR 32' single veranda Inspection Saloon is also show on the Buckingham Railway Centre "virtual stock list". This is listed a a body only, mounted on a different underframe. It was withdrawn in 1945 and used as living accommodation (when the u/f was broken up) before going to Quainton in 1982. It was still listed as in storage in 2017. Once again LRM do a kit for it, for those interested in an unusual pre-group model which could be finished in the simple LMS livery.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Back on subject. I've been looking at the inspection saloons thread. Though it deals with more modern rolling stock I recalled a few railway companies had six wheel inspection saloons in the Victorian and Edwardian eras some of which survived into BR days.

I can hear my razor saw stirring in the toolbox at the very thought of such a thing.....

Meanwhile, and only slightly off-topic - I've finally got to work on a new chassis for one of my Dapol-for-Hornby-Magazine Stove Rs. It's based on parts from a Chivers Fish van kit with buffer beams laminated up from assorted Evergreen channel and strip.   It's now up to the rolling shell stage and I've since fitted a pair of #146 Kadees. The screws that hold the lids on them also attach the chassis to the body. Currently, I'm knocking up some panelled doors to go inside the gangways. All the underframe detail bits have come off the Dapol model intact, so that'll save some work.  

I haven't yet plucked up the courage to attempt the sliding axle arrangement the Hatton's coaches will have. It may just get the cosmetic "cheat" the Fish Van kit uses. My other Stove R will get a suitably modified Hatton's chassis as soon as I can get my grimy mitts on one, with the body thus liberated being grounded in due course. 

John

P1050015e4m.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I can hear my razor saw stirring in the toolbox at the very thought of such a thing.....

Meanwhile, and only slightly off-topic - I've finally got to work on a new chassis for one of my Dapol-for-Hornby-Magazine Stove Rs. It's based on parts from a Chivers Fish van kit with buffer beams laminated up from assorted Evergreen channel and strip.   It's now up to the rolling shell stage and I've since fitted a pair of #146 Kadees. The screws that hold the lids on them also attach the chassis to the body. Currently, I'm knocking up some panelled doors to go inside the gangways. All the underframe detail bits have come off the Dapol model intact, so that'll save some work.  

I haven't yet plucked up the courage to attempt the sliding axle arrangement the Hatton's coaches will have. It may just get the cosmetic "cheat" the Fish Van kit uses. My other Stove R will get a suitably modified Hatton's chassis as soon as I can get my grimy mitts on one, with the body thus liberated being grounded in due course. 

John

P1050015e4m.jpg

Please keep us posted on this one (even if not in this thread) - the re-appearance of the fish van means I may finally be able to stop hating that Stove R...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

Please keep us posted on this one (even if not in this thread) - the re-appearance of the fish van means I may finally be able to stop hating that Stove R...

I know it's on the way back, but I don't think the kit has been re-released yet.

My bits were robbed from one I stumbled across in my stash!

If anyone can point me towards an existing Stove R thread as an appropriate destination for my pics/notes, please do. It's always nice to have related stuff in one place. Otherwise I'll try to start a specific thread on the project once I've edited the progress pics,

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I know it's on the way back, but I don't think the kit has been re-released yet.

My bits were robbed from one I stumbled across in my stash!

If anyone can point me towards an existing Stove R thread as an appropriate destination for my pics/notes, please do. It's always nice to have related stuff in one place. Otherwise I'll try to start a specific thread on the project once I've edited the progress pics,

John

On the Five79 website the fish van is listed as “coming soon”...  I also want want one for an Enparts van, so I keep checking...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

On the Five79 website the fish van is listed as “coming soon”...  I also want want one for an Enparts van, so I keep checking...

I must admit, this one is going so well, I'm getting ideas that will need more, including a couple of extra Fish Vans. It must be said that it's a very good kit in its own right. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If anyone can point me towards an existing Stove R thread as an appropriate destination for my pics/notes, please do.

Will this one do?

Edited by truffy
making linky embeddy
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TS_Queen_Mary

You mean this one, generally regarded as the finest excursion steamer to run in the UK?

Limited opportunities for being conceived on that sort of day trip? Or am I being too unimaginative?

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Funny 7