'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

As a question to those at Hattons:

Regarding the lighted versions of these carriages: Will they have a smoothing capacitor/"stay alive" built in? It would be lovely on analogue control to be able to stop a train in a station without the lights going out!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Regarding the lighted versions of these carriages: Will they have a smoothing capacitor/"stay alive" built in? 

I understand the models will be DC/DCC compatible and there will be capacitors to reduce/minimise flicker, no mention of a stay alive. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 23:52, jcm@gwr said:

You only really need that with coaches that have corridors to connect,

which none of these do.

In relation to corridors and longer coaches they are absolutely required, but also for short 4- and 6-wheel coaches and wagons an articulated coupling mechanism allows close coupling on straight track:

39839833rc.jpg

39839834eb.jpg

Best,

Mark

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

When are these likely to become available?  Hattons are doing a very thorough job to get a really good quality product (ok I know it's generic) it makes me wonder if anybody else might step in with a quickie, much less carefully developed, model to get to market first?

It's either Q1 or Q2, the project page on their website will give the details for projected delivery times ofr each planned batch. 

The only chance of someone else bringing a similar project to market would be a range of coaches from a specific company but even then that's slim (OK maybe more chance of Dapol with a downsized set of LBSC coaches following their o gauge ones) 

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2020 at 19:03, Guardian said:

but also for short 4- and 6-wheel coaches and wagons an articulated coupling mechanism allows close coupling on straight track:

One of those "nice to have" features, but a price-hiker.

I'd stick with what Hattons are offering at present, especially when compared with the old Hornby 4-wheelers!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

When are these likely to become available?  Hattons are doing a very thorough job to get a really good quality product (ok I know it's generic) it makes me wonder if anybody else might step in with a quickie, much less carefully developed, model to get to market first?

Not unless they have a Tardis. It takes years to develop a new range of stock, even a quickie would take a couple of years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

What have you heard?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not unless they have a Tardis. It takes years to develop a new range of stock, even a quickie would take a couple of years.

Unless of course they started at the same time, seizing on Hattons' idea with an aim to come to market earlier.

It's not like its not been done before albeit for different reasons.

• Agree 2

Or on or around Jan 4th 2021.

Personally I'd think it would be a brave move to try and gazump but one thing with coaches is that we tend to buy multiples, more so than a loco so maybe there is room.

But in the absence of any evidence of such a move it is pure unadulterated speculation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

If your modelling independent railways, Col. Stevens for example or even post grouping a mixture of styles would be better than one common style as in these coaches. If another manufacturer produced a similar but not the same as line they could well compliment each other.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

If "anybody else" did have a spoiler in mind (and the presence of the word "quickie" automatically rules out one candidate :rolleyes:) they'd have to decide whether to compete on specification or price. 

From what we've seen so far, I doubt there's any money to be made from trying to do both if  "anybody else" has to distribute through a retailer network. Hatton's exclusivity makes that margin their own, hence the ability to offer the combination of decent specification and low price we are expecting. That said, as we have seen elsewhere, "anybody else's" motivation wouldn't necessarily be monetary...

Of course, "anybody else" could go for a prototypical range, but that would be a massive undertaking  unless they restricted themselves to a single pre-1923 company and its grouped successor, with the inevitable narrowing of appeal that involves. That's the very reason Hatton's decided to go generic in the first place.

Personally, I'd consider "anybody else" would be on a hiding to nothing, both financially and in PR terms.  Such a move certainly wouldn't get me cancelling any of my pre-orders. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

In which case the Hattons carriages are genuine quickies.

Agreed, but what makes them 'quickies' is that they are generic. A lot of effort has gone into getting the basics right including on this thread where feedback has been taken notice of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...