'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2020 at 14:59, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Russ,

The full release schedule and latest dates for all the Genesis coaches can be found on the Hattons website via the link below.

Hattons Genesis coaches release information

We'll also put any updates on there too, as well as sending them directly to customers with pre-orders (or registered interest) and of course updating this thread as well.

Cheers,

Dave

Here we go, it was from the link to their page in this post. 

FB92719C-F407-41F1-819A-9092181D09DE.jpeg.d31a3c8546f19ebca2749ad6919341a9.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

If I was Hattons, I would be seeking to avoid a trade war with Hornby.  The Hornby versions actually solve a dilema. I've been thinking of how to buy some GNR ones without duplicating the body forms I already have for the SECR ones I ordered. So buying the Hornby ones solves that issue.

It would be tricky to be a box shifter if you lost two of the biggest sources of boxes to shift! 

Cunning idea - the generic nature of the coaches would be most obvious if you had different liveries on the same bodies, so use different ranges of generics for different companies!  I currently have SE&CR and LB&SCR sets on order from Hattons but given the comments above that the Hornby ones look like Stroudleys...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
To remove an errant apostrophe...
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The other advantage of battery power is that (if the layout uses analogue controls), the lights don't go out when the train stops.

The ideal, to my mind, is to have pickups charging a rechargable battery.

I have tried this but it doesn't work.

i have a vehicle with a rechargable battery which takes pick up power from the track with DC.

DC operation your powering on / off all the time, the battery will only charge above a certain voltage level... in short you need to leave power on high for at least an hour, so the impact of charging in a normal runabout is minimal.

It will charge on DCC too, but drains from the available feed.. put several coaches on charge you’ll soon not have enough amperage available to run a train.

Instead I charge it via USB... admittedly Coincell is better, though imho track powered (with a capacitor) is the best.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

If I was Hattons, I would be seeking to avoid a trade war with Hornby. 

It would appear too late for that.

Best thing any manufacturer can do is say nowt, until you have something to look at.

Hornby have shown repeatedly they can bring war to a market inside a year, with a cheaper, lesser alternative.

I cant help but wonder if there is a delibrate policy of Hornby taking out its biggest customers, to support its retail network, and thus not be unduly exposed to a few customers. The retail network, arguably is sweeter now than its been for a long time, and in doing so, at some point maybe Hornby is going to ask that retail network for some commitments in return.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Here we go, it was from the link to their page in this post. 

So this page shows Batch 3 info, which was updated on Dec 31? The other pages people are showing are from Aug 12th, which have not been updated, like the main page for the range. 

I now see the "Please note - due to a number of factors, our Great Eastern Railway models have now been moved back to Batch 3, details of which will be provided later in 2021." from their site. But all of the upcoming liveries have now disappeared from their article? 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Ribird said:

So this page shows Batch 3 info, which was updated on Dec 31? The other pages people are showing are from Aug 12th, which have not been updated, like the main page for the range. 

I now see the "Please note - due to a number of factors, our Great Eastern Railway models have now been moved back to Batch 3, details of which will be provided later in 2021." from their site. But all of the upcoming liveries have now disappeared from their article? 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594

I suppose it shows batch 3 is still very much alive though as if you move things into it it’s still there in intent. To be fair they were obviously using it to gauge interest rather than not announce anything but as it’s published that comes with big disappointment if it doesn’t go ahead. See the worry about the cl 89 by Rails because it’s still sitting at EOI ;) 

I’m interested in the S&D and Metropolitan ones so I’m hoping the rest are a success. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I suppose it shows batch 3 is still very much alive though as if you move things into it it’s still there in intent. To be fair they were obviously using it to gauge interest rather than not announce anything but as it’s published that comes with big disappointment if it doesn’t go ahead. See the worry about the cl 89 by Rails because it’s still sitting at EOI ;) 

I’m interested in the S&D and Metropolitan ones so I’m hoping the rest are a success. 

Same here! Hattons coaches are good chunk more detailed than Hornby's! I'm getting the GWR Terrier pack for Hornby just to try them out, but everything else I want will be from Hattons! I am hoping they make Batch 3 coaches! Even if I'll be buying just a few of the LMR, Metro, and SDJR ones.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Same here! Hattons coaches are good chunk more detailed than Hornby's! 

As I've said on the Hornby thread, given that they're being offered for the same price, either one is overpriced or the other underpriced!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I have tried this but it doesn't work.

i have a vehicle with a rechargable battery which takes pick up power from the track with DC.

DC operation your powering on / off all the time, the battery will only charge above a certain voltage level... in short you need to leave power on high for at least an hour, so the impact of charging in a normal runabout is minimal.

It will charge on DCC too, but drains from the available feed.. put several coaches on charge you’ll soon not have enough amperage available to run a train.

Instead I charge it via USB... admittedly Coincell is better, though imho track powered (with a capacitor) is the best.

If you want to charge on-board batteries, the answer is to isolate your locos but power up the track under the coaches for however long it takes, before each running session. 

John   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As I've said on the Hornby thread, given that they're being offered for the same price, either one is overpriced or the other underpriced!

Well at actual retail Hattons are £30 yet the Hornby ones £27 so that’s £3 difference already which would be about right by my reckoning as a 10% difference. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Well at actual retail Hattons are £30 yet the Hornby ones £27 so that’s £3 difference already which would be about right by my reckoning as a 10% difference. 

I think that's underestimating the difference. Or, to put it another way, I'm offended that you price the input of myself and others so cheaply!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Hattons unlit ones are £30.

illuminated are £36

Hornby at £32 Hattons are selling them £4 cheaper than their own.

i wonder if Hattons may have a price adjustment coming.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you want to charge on-board batteries, the answer is to isolate your locos but power up the track under the coaches for however long it takes, before each running session. 

John   

Or use another “off line” means (like USB or a charging mat) so you can play with something else whilst it is charging.

[Thats what I do]

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

illuminated are £36.

Hornby at £27 Hattons are selling them £9 cheaper than their own.

The illuminated Hornby coaches are £32.50

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm offended that you price the input of myself and others so cheaply!

And you were ‘paid’ what? to factor into their actual costs ;)

I guess you were tongue in cheek with that despite the lack of emoji but in reality all the help provided here was free so doesn’t factor in retail cost apart from Dave’s time to read it. ;) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

illuminated are £36.

Hornby at £27 Hattons are selling them £9 cheaper than their own.

As Free at Last has noted

Hattons £30 or £36

Hornby £27 or £32.50

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

As Free at Last has noted

Hattons £30 or £36

Hornby £27 or £32.50

Ive got de ja vu now.

gosh this room is trigger happy, is there a shoot out coming ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PaulRhB said:

And you were ‘paid’ what? to factor into their actual costs ;)

I freely gave free advice (privately, having been invited to do so following from comments I had made on this thread). Equally, Hattons were free to take my advice or not; there were several significant points on which we agreed to differ. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

Hattons are selling unlit Hornby at £27 which is £3 cheaper and Hornby with lighting at £32.50 which is £3.50 cheaper. Where do you get the £9 cheaper for similar products from?

Omg...

anyone else ?

:D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got de ja vu now.

gosh this room is trigger happy, is there a shoot out coming ?

No just a time lag in posting as you can’t see what others are editing ;) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Puzzled. The Hornby announcement clearly states RRP £29.99 / £35.99, undercutting Hattons' prices by a penny.

Hattons are selling Hornbys at a discount.

for example:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=619302

its going to get mighty confusing...

Hattons have got 372 coaches listed of their own..

Hornby have 82 + a set...

And you thought there was a lot of class 66’s...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Puzzled. The Hornby announcement clearly states RRP £29.99 / £35.99, undercutting Hattons' prices by a penny.

Yes but actual retail seems to be £26.99 and £32.50/99 so comparing actual shop prices. Hattons aren’t quoting an rrp just selling at a price. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2