'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It just depends on what you want to believe.

From the interweb. "The Oxford English Dictionary lists “rooves” as an alternate to roofs, one of several outdated spellings used in the UK, and in New England as late as the 19th century. It's not stated which source Google Dictionary used but they list both roofs and rooves as correct."

No doubt the OED as an historical dictionary does give rooves as an old form of the plural but I'm sure it lists it as an alternative not an alternate.

Why is mains electricity like a dried fruit? 

Because it's an alternative currant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the plural of loaf is loaves, then the plural of roof must be rooves, and the plural of oaf is oaves.  OTOH since the plural of sheep is sheep, the plural of roof should be roof.  The plural of fish can be fish or fishes, depending on whether they are food or living creatures; not sure what the correct term is if you eat more than one live fish/fishes.

Smoke me a scampo, I'll be back for breakfast...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

If the plural of loaf is loaves, then the plural of roof must be rooves, and the plural of oaf is oaves.  OTOH since the plural of sheep is sheep, the plural of roof should be roof.  The plural of fish can be fish or fishes, depending on whether they are food or living creatures; not sure what the correct term is if you eat more than one live fish/fishes.

I thought the fishy thing depended on the number of species - 2 herrings being fish but 1 and a haddock  being fishes....???

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I thought the fishy thing depended on the number of species - 2 herrings being fish but 1 and a haddock  being fishes....???

Let's skate over that, there's a plaice for everything.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

The plural of 'fish' is only 'fishes' when the boat comes in.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 23/02/2021 at 10:15, Michael Hodgson said:

Yet.

Give it a few years.  They will have run of options once they done them in every crest from IoW Central to Garstang & Knott End and Harry Potter.

I’m crossing my fingers for IOW Central!  (Surely only a matter of time before someone does a Terrier in that livery...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, RichardLong said:

I’m crossing my fingers for IOW Central!  (Surely only a matter of time before someone does a Terrier in that livery...)

Yes please, the red liveried one with Isle of Wight Central Railway and the black just with the IWC initials. Then we need the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport one in LSWR green.

Did either of them buy coaches similar to these ?

Definitely sounds good to me.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I know the FYN had two sets of stock, one Vacuum fitted and one Air fitted, as per their two locos. I seem to recall someone telling me to Vacuum set was ex-Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The plural of 'fish' is only 'fishes' when the boat comes in.

I must apologise. I realise that my allusion was in error. When the boat comes in, one does not get "fishes", but a "fishy"

That's "fishy", as in "sturgeon"

1920px-Acipenser_oxyrhynchus.jpg.26d2707d009a725574a9a25db80aaa4e.jpg

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

I know the FYN had two sets of stock, one Vacuum fitted and one Air fitted, as per their two locos. I seem to recall someone telling me to Vacuum set was ex-Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln.

Pretty sure I’ve read that - based on the photographic evidence - they didn’t always have the right loco matched up with the right coaches!

Incidentally, the FYN’s Terrier was a bit of an oddity as it had a Drummond boiler (fitted when it was owned by the LSWR).  I’m not sure either Hornby or Rails would have the tooling to accurately represent that?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

Pretty sure I’ve read that - based on the photographic evidence - they didn’t always have the right loco matched up with the right coaches!

Incidentally, the FYN’s Terrier was a bit of an oddity as it had a Drummond boiler (fitted when it was owned by the LSWR).  I’m not sure either Hornby or Rails would have the tooling to accurately represent that?

It was one of a pair that had been used unsuccessfully on the Axminster to Lyme Regis branch and they had been fitted with a mechanical form of push/pull gear which featured cranks etc on the rear of the cab roof, as seen in a picture in one or more of the Terrier books. I believe that the FY&NR one stayed in LSWR livery and just had the lettering changed.

All the best

Ray

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

It was one of a pair that had been used unsuccessfully on the Axminster to Lyme Regis branch and they had been fitted with a mechanical form of push/pull gear which featured cranks etc on the rear of the cab roof, as seen in a picture in one or more of the Terrier books. I believe that the FY&NR one stayed in LSWR livery and just had the lettering changed.

All the best

Ray

It was originally leased from the LSWR and apparently ran in full LSWR livery - with no changes to number or lettering -  for several years.  Most sources seem to agree that it was repainted in a new “bright green” livery with black & white lining and FYN lettering circa 1916.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

It was originally leased from the LSWR and apparently ran in full LSWR livery - with no changes to number or lettering -  for several years.  Most sources seem to agree that it was repainted in a new “bright green” livery with black & white lining and FYN lettering circa 1916.

Thanks Richard.

I cannot remember if that is the one that Hornby have already done, or was it the other one ?

Anyway, more variety for them.

All the best

Ray

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Thanks Richard.

I cannot remember if that is the one that Hornby have already done, or was it the other one ?

Anyway, more variety for them.

All the best

Ray

The FYN one was LSWR no. 734 but the current Hornby one seems to be LSWR no. 735 - but even if it were 734 it doesn’t have a Drummond boiler so would be inaccurate for how it ran on the IOW.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1