'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Crantock said:

I suspect the trick is to keep the delay short enough people don’t rush to the Hornbys.

Those that would do so already have, it would seem. There's some absurdity there: buying the Hornby carriages because the Hattons ones aren't here yet, when 24 months ago there was nothing of the sort available at all.

What's the old saying? Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Those that would do so already have, it would seem. There's some absurdity there: buying the Hornby carriages because the Hattons ones aren't here yet, when 24 months ago there was nothing of the sort available at all.

What's the old saying? Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Indeed

Particularly as the Hornby models are quite clearly air braked stock and are missing a huge amount of underframe detail needed for Vacuum brake using companies - and thats before we get to the weird footboards.

Anyone not modelling the LBSCR and with any sense would be far better served by waiting for the Hattons variant however long they take.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved by this additional delay. I did not by any Hornby ones as  I have the LNER brown coaches on order as they match my proposed WW2 layout and this is not an option that Hornby offered.

The delay gives me extra time to build the layout and indeed I may now even order some more coaches, but it would have been good to see them running on the layout sooner. If Hornby were to reissue an LNER run I would probably buy a rake, 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Batch 2 will now be available after March 2023.

Sooo sad, I'll be 73 by then and running out of time. I'll just have to get all my MR Ratio and LRM kits out and learn to paint and line them. L&YR services are postponed until after March 2023.

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

This is, I suppose, where a lot of things are likely to be at, given how hard it's been for manufacturers to keep on track over the past 18 months or so. I'm not particularly concerned about the delay, given that I'm only waiting for a departmental coach for what will effectively be a cameo scene on a 1950s layout, so it's not as if its absence is holding anything up. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

On the positive side, well done Hattons for holding the prices.  I will be buying a few for a miners’ workman’s service as a nod to the Glyncorrwg train, to run with Ratio brake 3rds, but the train is currently running with cut’n’shut lengthened Hornby shorty clerestories, so the matter is not urgent for me.  It’s worth waiting; I reckon the Genesis coaches will be significantly better then the Hornbys, which have a bit of a ‘Railroad’ feel to them IMHO. 

I’ll be 70 next year though, so fully understand Mr Chuffer’s concerns.   

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I’ll be 70 next year though, so fully understand Mr Chuffer’s concerns.   

I'll be 42 and share some of them...

Anyway, intensely relaxed about the 5 LNWR I've got on order. They're to go with a specific locomotive that I've always loved and wanted something for it to pull. Otherwise they're out of period and geography for both my line and my club's line (and also obviously they're generic but I've literally bought them for the beautiful livery), so when they come they come.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2021 at 19:47, MR Chuffer said:

Sooo sad, I'll be 73 by then and running out of time.

My Dad is 83 in a month and has a couple of locos due on his birthday. He smiled when I showed him posts from 70+‘s worried about time and said he’d rather have them then to enjoy having survived that little bit more ;) 

This from someone who’s had to have his heart re-timed and various other serious health problems the last few years. Popped round for tea last night and we spent a happy hour in the shed running his Stirling Single alongside my new GC D11. 
He has a few of the Genesis coaches on order to go with Hardwicke too. 
Cheer up it’s something to look forward to. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This has left me in a bit of a quandry.

My operating sequence (based on the 1956 WTT) involves a 'mail train' with parcels vans front and rear terminating in the station and the vans being shunted to a different platform. The centre coaches then go out as a separate passenger train, and the process is reversed later in the sequence. As I already had one parcels van (kit built body on a Hornby 6 wheel milk van chassis!), when Hattons announced the Genesis range, I ordered a van for the other end of the train.

Since then, my other van has been withdrawn from traffic as it took a dislike to some of the points on the latest version of the layout. I purchased a Hornby van as its replacement. I notice now that Hornby are showing this van as 'limited stock'. So - do I carry on waiting for Hattons, or order a second Hornby van while I still have chance?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

So - do I carry on waiting for Hattons, or order a second Hornby van while I still have chance?

If that were me, I would buy the second Hornby van so you can carry on with your operating sequence.  You can always sell the Hornby van later, and replace it with the Hattons one when that appears.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Or keep the second Hornby van and 'ring the changes'. You could also apply a slightly different livery/weather the second Hornby coach.

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

My operating sequence (based on the 1956 WTT) involves a 'mail train' with parcels vans front and rear terminating in the station and the vans being shunted to a different platform. The centre coaches then go out as a separate passenger train, and the process is reversed later in the sequence. As I already had one parcels van (kit built body on a Hornby 6 wheel milk van chassis!), when Hattons announced the Genesis range, I ordered a van for the other end of the train.

Since then, my other van has been withdrawn from traffic as it took a dislike to some of the points on the latest version of the layout. I purchased a Hornby van as its replacement. I notice now that Hornby are showing this van as 'limited stock'. So - do I carry on waiting for Hattons, or order a second Hornby van while I still have chance?

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

If that were me, I would buy the second Hornby van so you can carry on with your operating sequence.  You can always sell the Hornby van later, and replace it with the Hattons one when that appears.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have four Hattons LNWR coaches on order that will act as through coaches.  I am/was working my way through building every other coach I need but life is short so I went for these.  Someone mentioned that the six wheel five compartment thirds might be repainted as a Cambrian 5 compartment third.   I want an oil top and the only Hattons oil tops are GWR and I was not going to paint over that lovely livery.  I found that Hornby do more oil tops and I bought one as I found one going cheap(er).  I am not impressed.  The compartments are only half separated up to the top of the seats, so I will have to decide if I want to fill that in.  Also on the adverts it gave the length as 16.  In some cases that was all there was so was a bit confusing.  I found that it meant 16cm over the tension locks.  Fortunately the carriage length is about a scale 32ft which is what I want.

I shall definitely be waiting for my order.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 14:28, Crantock said:

Disappointing and given some were earmarked for Q3 its a bit late in the day.  Still we are buying because building is beyond us.  I suspect the trick is to keep the delay short enough people don’t rush to the Hornbys.

Hattons should be congratulated on their honesty regarding their supply chain. It now carries the risk of course that Hornby can now broaden their spectrum of livery options and rush them out soon after the January announcements (as last year). My personal loyalty (and order) will remain with Hattons, not least as holding the price in the face of increasing costs demonstrates their loyalty to us.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

By 1956, the NPCCS pool had merged to the extent that all and any types of vans, so you can mix and match.  If what you need at each end is a brake van with guard's accommodation, there are the Hornby and Bachmann mk1 BGs, the Stanier 50' BG, Hawkwsorth BG, Southern Van B, and Southern Van C, a 4 wheeler to choose from.  Otherwise any and all NPCCS runing in 1956 will be fine.  I would have thought that a Hattons Genesis full brake would have been a little too early for this, but am willing to be proved wrong.

I'd buy whatever you want for now, and the Genesis van when it's available if you still want it, and not lose any sleep over it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thanks, Johnster (and others).

I'm actually running in 1930s era - it's just that I had a copy of the 1956 WTT available to work from! So although all movements are from the 1956 timetable, rolling stock is definitely 1930s. 

I'm also limited on length to 4 or 6 wheel vans.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. This of course limits you to your chosen prototype railways' 4 or 6 wheel products and those of their pre-grouping constituents. and RTR is a lot less forgiving here.  For the Southern, the Hornby Van C fits the bill, and for the LNER there is the Five79 (Chivers) Pigeon Van, a very easy and satisfying plastic kit.  The GW is served by the Ratio 4 wheeled full brake kit, but I think that's about it for 4 or 6 wheeled brake vans. 

RTR seems not to be good in general at 6 wheelers though the Hornby generics have been well enough recieved.  The Hornby 6-wheel LMS milk vans are not to scale, and the Dapol 6-wheeled LMS Stove R, which only just scrapes in to your period, is a scale foot too wide and has an appalling reputation for derailing.  I've recently built a Five79 6-wheel LMS CCT which cheats by using a dummy centre wheelset, which is pretty discreet unless you make a point of looking for it, but may be more intrusive on setrack curves than my Peco medium radius turnouts.  This is too late for your period but the chassis may be of some use to you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tramshed said:

Hattons should be congratulated on their honesty regarding their supply chain. It now carries the risk of course that Hornby can now broaden their spectrum of livery options and rush them out soon after the January announcements (as last year). My personal loyalty (and order) will remain with Hattons, not least as holding the price in the face of increasing costs demonstrates their loyalty to us.

I have seen the Hornby ones and been somewhat underwhelmed (putting it politely),

I too will have passed my three-score-and-ten by then but trust I'll be around to take my initial deliveries from Hatton's as planned. The LSWR ones are further down the line anyway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 08/09/2021 at 16:06, The Johnster said:

the Dapol 6-wheeled LMS Stove R, which only just scrapes in to your period, is a scale foot too wide and has an appalling reputation for derailing. 

Stays on the track if you fix the swivelling bits and allow some (sprung) up and down movement on the centre set.

Wheels are still scale 7" undersize and normal 3' 7"coach wheels are no good unless you hack the floor and by then the van is too high.

Altogether a mess and I wish I had never bought mine.:sad_mini:

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Stays on the track if you fix the swivelling bits and allow some (sprung) up and down movement on the centre set.

Wheels are still scale 7" undersize and normal 3' 7"coach wheels are no good unless you hack the floor and by then the van is too high.

Altogether a mess and I wish I had never bought mine.:sad_mini:

Agreed. Notwithstanding all of the problems with the running gear; whilst the body detail is good, it's a scale foot too wide and looks vaguely ridiculous next to other coaching stock.

My plan with mine is to put it on a 5Seven9 (or is it Five7Nine - it's still early) 6-wheel underframe when it becomes available separately, and run it as the brake van on a train of milk tankers to try and hide the extra width.

• Like 2