Jump to content

'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Having looked at the CAD file for the Hattons carriages when they were available for inspection by the public (I can't seem to find them now) it looked as though the duckets were in fact a separately-fitted part. This would mean that they could be replaced by a ducket closer to the design of the company required, although one would have to match the livery and provide lining where appropriate (although I'd far rather line four duckets than a whole train!). One for the 3D printers, perhaps? 

Certainly that's my intention for my Genesis carriages which will be repainted for my freelance pre-grouping company. 

I think they have to be separate to enable the window aperture to be moulded in otherwise it wouldn't be possible. With a solid lump coring out the interior of the body and slides moulding the external features, there wouldn't be a way to mould the ducket windows in situ.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Having looked at the CAD file for the Hattons carriages when they were available for inspection by the public (I can't seem to find them now) it looked as though the duckets were in fact a separately-fitted part. This would mean that they could be replaced by a ducket closer to the design of the company required, although one would have to match the livery and provide lining where appropriate (although I'd far rather line four duckets than a whole train!). 

 

Alternatively, having removed the ducket, the top could be modified to match your desired profile (usually a convex curve; then only that part would need to be painted, usually matching the body colour; no lining required.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

Alternatively, having removed the ducket, the top could be modified to match your desired profile (usually a convex curve; then only that part would need to be painted, usually matching the body colour; no lining required.

Depending on the style of ducket, possibly, yes. There does appear to be a raised ridge at the top of the Hattons ducket too, which would need some canny work with a scalpel or files to avoid damaging the lining, to which it will be very close (looks like a millimetre or two, or even slighlty less?)
image.png.36b5899314b4442ef1b0c1e83a8dba33.png
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

Alternatively, having removed the ducket, the top could be modified to match your desired profile (usually a convex curve; then only that part would need to be painted, usually matching the body colour; no lining required.

Matching the body colour being the issue; it would be useful if the appropriate colour codes could be given together with application specifications like what colour is the plastic and undercoat, how many layers of undercoat, how many of the body colour; what varnish and again how many layers 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philou said:

I'm probably committing heresy, but I'm looking forward to a rake of GWR coaches (4 and 6-wheelers) to run with my unmodified but repainted shorty clerestories, at a distance it'll pass muster for a quick (and probably dirty) solution. It will all be 'generic'. I shall get a rake of LNWR coaches as apparently the distinctive livery is not simple to do.

 

Just maybe, if I like the overall look, I might, just might, be encouraged to have a go at some kits as well. The generic ones can then be cascaded down to branch-line workings - or even workmen's trains. I have a photo of some GWR 'brown' ones at platform with what looks like workmen waiting to board. I don't know the date unfortunately.

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

 

That's pretty much my plan too - I've already got a rake of Triang clerestories (albeit which could do with replacement bogies to improve their running characteristics) and one full brake but I've ordered a second to enable me to emulate the Aberystwyth WTT.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also note that LSWR duckets had a distinctive ogee shape at the top, which required a bit more height, so the quarter-light-level panels were less tall to allow for this - this would be tricky to do without a complete replacement of the ducket. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/710042704884793414/800356990064263188/20210117_133158.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Matching the body colour being the issue; it would be useful if the appropriate colour codes could be given together with application specifications like what colour is the plastic and undercoat, how many layers of undercoat, how many of the body colour; what varnish and again how many layers 

Some of that may be kept close to Hattons chest. After all, if their spec proves to be particularly successful, they are hardly going to reveal the secret sauce. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@RJS1977 I say 'unmodified' clerestories in that no coach was harmed in giving it newer lease of life. I haven't replaced the bogies, but I did change the wheels to pin-point Jackson discs (remember them? Are they still a thing?) drilling out the axle boxes to take some Peco brass cup bearings - top-hat ones hadn't even been thought of back then!

 

Here's a picture of them with some Graham Farish GWR stock behind. I don't know what period those are but could they go with the 4/6-wheelers as well?

 

DSCF0054.JPG.e1f4f25cb1e4539fa5b64334e75418ec.JPG

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Philou said:

@RJS1977 I say 'unmodified' clerestories in that no coach was harmed in giving it newer lease of life. I haven't replaced the bogies, but I did change the wheels to pin-point Jackson discs (remember them? Are they still a thing?) drilling out the axle boxes to take some Peco brass cup bearings - top-hat ones hadn't even been thought of back then!

 

Here's a picture of them with some Graham Farish GWR stock behind. I don't know what period those are but could they go with the 4/6-wheelers as well?

 

DSCF0054.JPG.e1f4f25cb1e4539fa5b64334e75418ec.JPG

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

 

Farish OO coaches are generic, too, so why not?

 

John

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dunsignalling Well, there you go. Something I've learned today as I never knew the provenance of the GF coaches. I don't even recall when I bought them - though I think one of the packing boxes (very flimsy) still has a price ticket that may give a clue. Only saw them the once - perhaps being 'generic' that's why!

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

 

PS: Out here in the sticks of eastern France, I would be exceedingly surprised if anyone would spot that it was a complete consist of 'generic' coaches - schtum is the word.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2021 at 12:40, Compound2632 said:

The semicircular parts standing proud are the ventilator hoods.

 

The Hattons Genesis carriages are no more accurate as Metropolitan carriages than they are as Great Northern or Lancashire & Yorkshire carriages, to mention a couple of outliers among the proposed liveries. 

I think the main issue with the Metropolitan 6-Wheelers is that the Metropolitan never had any 6-Wheelers...

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

I also note that LSWR duckets had a distinctive ogee shape at the top, which required a bit more height, so the quarter-light-level panels were less tall to allow for this - this would be tricky to do without a complete replacement of the ducket. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/710042704884793414/800356990064263188/20210117_133158.jpg

 

Yes, looking through the collection of Weddell drawings from magazines that I have, it does seem that shape was already established in the days when the LSW was still building arc-roof carriages. But the LSWR lining isn't that complex, so should present no great challenge to you. Anyway, I'd expect you to be printing your own replacement duckets or, better, accurate carriages!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I know that this is the "wrong" thread, but surely Hornby could produce their clerestories in other companies' colours ?

 

They have done - both the non-corridor shorties and the corridor blankies appeared masquerading as Midland clerestories. (The horror! The horror!) The shorties have had a long afterlife in faux teak, as LNER ex-GER carriages but perhaps their greatest honour is to have been repainted by Peter Denny as GCR carriages.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

 

They also appeared in crimson and cream under Hornby a few years back.

One feels that Rules 1(a), 1(b) and 1(c) plus sub-clauses may apply.....let's just play trains....

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Farish OO coaches are generic, too, so why not?

 

John

 

They are generic but the corridor coaches from the Farish range bear a strong resemblance to Maunsell stock, notably the ex-SECR corridor third and the R1 8' 6'' brake third, albeit abbreviated and with incorrect corridor window heights. I made a go of converting the two types to better represent the prototypes but didn't get very far. 

 

On printing replacement duckets and what have you, it appears some historic railway societies may have already raised the notion with their alumni kit or part producers, and I anticipate that the CAD-gifted among us will no doubt foster a range of parts in time, such as birdcage roofs, brake and buffing gear, lamps and duckets and so on. A resurgence of the cottage industry would be fabulous to see. 

 

In the meantime, I think I might add another six-wheel brake to my pre-order... 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

They are generic but the corridor coaches from the Farish range bear a strong resemblance to Maunsell stock, notably the ex-SECR corridor third and the R1 8' 6'' brake third, albeit abbreviated and with incorrect corridor window heights. I made a go of converting the two types to better represent the prototypes but didn't get very far. 

 

I bought one in LMS livery as an innocent teenager but even as a callow youth who scorned all things Southern I could see what was up and repainted it green. As I recall, it ran much more freely than my Triang-Hornby Mk1s. I still have it somewhere...

 

5 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

A resurgence of the cottage industry would be fabulous to see. 

 

The cottage industry is alive and well. I'm not certain many of the cottagers actually live in such picturesque accommodation, though, the way house prices have gone in the last quarter-century.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

With a bit of work the Farish generic stock can also produce half-decent GCR matchboard stock as their overall appearance is about right (it's just scratching in the matchboarding is a bit tedious). 

 

Keeping on-thread with the Hattons carriages, I'm very much looking forward to getting my GNR-liveried 6-wheelers.  I'll probably be removing the insignia and lettering with T-cut and then scumbling over the teak finish to get closer to the GCR dark teak/ not quite mahogany livery. 

  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

 

They also appeared in crimson and cream under Hornby a few years back.

 

The weird thing was that the "teakies" appeared with an LNER livery B12, and the blood'n'custard efforts with a sort of BR "Express Blue"liveried B12...

 

At least the (old tooling) B12s were Chinese manufactured, so they had fairly fine wheel rims and coupling rods, and the lining was more effectively applied than the last batch of Margate models.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

 

They have done - both the non-corridor shorties and the corridor blankies appeared masquerading as Midland clerestories. (The horror! The horror!) The shorties have had a long afterlife in faux teak, as LNER ex-GER carriages but perhaps their greatest honour is to have been repainted by Peter Denny as GCR carriages.

 

I think Hornby ought to issue the clerestories with non-clerestory roofs, as another set of generic coaches.

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Budgie said:

I think Hornby ought to issue the clerestories with non-clerestory roofs, as another set of generic coaches.

 

One could look at cutting the clerestory off the roof moulding and filling in the hole. This would give a shallow 3-radius roof (shallower profile than the Ratio 4-wheelers) not a single arc.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps this ought to be in its own thread .......... we have the 'generic' coaches, but what about a nice 'generic' loco to pull them? I'll start with No6699 - H/D GWR 0-6-2T that I converted to 2-rail and has flanged wheels all round to go with my 'generic' consist (I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment ...............;).).

 

Here it is - bottom row, right:

 

DSCF0039.JPG.d4856c45c06408b2e987ed62d9c0146f.JPG

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Philou said:

Perhaps this ought to be in its own thread .......... we have the 'generic' coaches, but what about a nice 'generic' loco to pull them? I'll start with No6699 - H/D GWR 0-6-2T that I converted to 2-rail and has flanged wheels all round to go with my 'generic' consist (I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment ...............;).).

 

Here it is - bottom row, right:

 

DSCF0039.JPG.d4856c45c06408b2e987ed62d9c0146f.JPG

 

Cheers,

 

Philip

think we had brought up a 4-4-0 made by beyer peacock or sharp stewart to work with some of the under represented companies

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.