'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

58 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

Does anybody know when these are due?- Is it 2021 or 2022?  I'm sure it's noted somewhere in the thread but in all honesty I've neither time nor inclination to wade through 73 pages of discussion largely along the lines of 'the beading doesn't exactly match that on precisely four carriages built in the far north of Scotland in 1877 and scrapped in 1909'. 

I have a Hattons newsletter in my email inbox with their expected dates but I can't be bothered looking for it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

It is my deep suspicion that they will be ready when they are ready. And not every variation will be on sale at once. Hattons have every reason to get them on sale ASAP, but Covid will not have helped. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

No CAD's or further progress since the community feedback on the body shape and the style of each body type. 

How do you know there have been no CADS or further progress? Hattons may have elected not to publish such things, but that does not mean no progress. And given the extended online bickering and conflicting suggestions among factions following the original announcement, who can blame them?

It may be popular when a manufacturer chooses to share development stages, but it hardly reduces the timescale to delivery when each such revelation is greeted with howls of anguish that this or that detail isn't as expected, sending the developer away to check his facts. 

In this case, of course, facts are a bit hard to pin down, so I'm not sure that we would  learn anything useful. The models will appear when they are ready, and the renditions may or may not be to your or my taste. But at the price we have to regard them as bargains, whatever.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

when each such revelation is greeted with howls of anguish that this or that detail isn't as expected,

Yep and showing the CAD of a generic model is sure to elicit more cries of ‘but that’s wrong’ which kinda misses the point of generic :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

they say artwork shown, but that's just the basic livery diagrams

A livery diagram is artwork . . . ;) 

We could realistically have expectEd some slippage due to Covid but it might be that the factory is still confident that barring more local spikes they can deliver as promised. 

It might be that they want to show prototypes next. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

A livery diagram is artwork . . . ;) 

We could realistically have expectEd some slippage due to Covid but it might be that the factory is still confident that barring more local spikes they can deliver as promised. 

It might be that they want to show prototypes next. 

In a rather different field, I'm experiencing some very long delays in getting goods out of China, as are a number of acquaintances. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily expect that to make much difference for digital material, I can see prototypes and, eventually, finished models, taking a lot longer to get to the UK than might have been predicted 6-9 months ago.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These are looking fantastic Dave!!

I was rather surprised when I zoomed in to find the CADs have a full interior as well! I thought they were just a shell at first!

Congratulations to all the team working on these,

Gary

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Very nice.  They will certainly pass muster for the majority of modellers and capture the spirit of late Victorian carriage design with some nice features.  An interior lit GWR rake might be a nice addition to Dolgellau's rolling stock.

Still slightly bemused by the presence of the "Improved Precedent" on the formations diagram which appears to be the only non-RTR loco on the list (in production or announced). Whoever has an "Improved Precedent" in design, 'fess up for goodness sake, I'm nearing completion of my current layout and several would be highly useful for the next project...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Very nice.  They will certainly pass muster for the majority of modellers and capture the spirit of late Victorian carriage design with some nice features.  An interior lit GWR rake might be a nice addition to Dolgellau's rolling stock.

Still slightly bemused by the presence of the "Improved Precedent" on the formations diagram which appears to be the only non-RTR loco on the list (in production or announced). Whoever has an "Improved Precedent" in design, 'fess up for goodness sake, I'm nearing completion of my current layout and several would be highly useful for the next project...

i just hope it's not Bachmann. it would take 5 years to come out

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Beautiful piece of work, not very informative as to how the six wheeler tracks on curvature, however.

Quite and could be the key to how popular the sales are of the particular vehicle. To be fair to Hatton's the spec mentions the central wheelset slides for tight curves.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am so so pumped after seeing these CAD's. What a superb marketing tool. Well done Hattons!! I can't wait to get these in my grubby hands, roll on the new year.

PS must order some more

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A close inspection does show that the axle between the wheels appears rather thicker than the axle outside the wheels, suggesting that they are mounted on a tube which slides on the axle? I'm having a lot of fun investigating various features. I especially like the longer J hangers on the centre axles of the 6 wheelers, the fact they've not fallen into the trap of trying to have brakes on the centre wheelset, and the bolection mouldings. The fact that even the door locks seem to have been represented is a bonus!

I'm hard pressed to find any negatives with the CAD work that jump out - my only slight quibble is the thought that (to me!) the buffer casings look a little long, even for a pre-grouping carriage, but that's a personal preference. Oh, and the three link coupling is a nice touch, but ought to be a screw-link on passenger-rated stock.

I'm now trying to figure out how the thing goes together. How about an exploded photo, Hattons?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 4

They do look nice. I'm planning on getting one in BR breakdown train red to go with the Bachmann Ransomes and Rapier crane, but it did occur to me that one in LNER brown would be a good static feature, heavily weathered and parked in a siding that, too, clearly hasn't seen traffic for a while (lots of grass between the track and very rusty rails) - maybe with a jerry-rigged set of steps to the door, making it look like it's being used as a makeshift mess room or store.

On the latter note, these would also make a good basis for the ever popular "grounded coach" scene. I wonder if Hattons might consider releasing a version with no chassis, just the body, for precisely that purpose. It would save hacking about with a complete one.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Whoever has an "Improved Precedent" in design, 'fess up for goodness sake, I'm nearing completion of my current layout and several would be highly useful for the next project...

Well, on the basis of today's announcement, perhaps EFE??!!  :lol:

(Sits back, opens popcorn...)

Richard

• Like 1

@Hattons Dave Thanks again for sharing the CAD files, they have been most enlightening! As a bit of a carriage nerd, the 4- and 6-wheelers are gorgeous with very little to fault. You seem to have an extraneous door handle and grab rail on one side of the 4-wheel brake third here:
 image.png.1e0e76cf3de451b69bdd79283744366a.png

On a personal-preferences front, the buffer casings (not the shanks) seem slightly long (even for pre-grouping coaches)?

Finally, I notice you've even included the toilets in the lavatory compartments, which made me smile! I am very much looking forward to these, please keep up the good work!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1