'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I do like the easily accessed if required lighting of the new additions.

They've been available on the aftermarket for years, but nowhere near as accessible.

This is something worth considering by many other manufacturers I believe.

Al.

As I understand it the Hattons lighting is electric from the wheels, which to my mind is better than faffing about with batteries.

I hope Hattons are not put off. I’m looking forward to running some Genesis carriages as a workman’s special.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

It's nice that enthusiastic entrepreneurs and very-long-term enthusiastic dealers / commercial operations like Hattons increase their interests, and assist in increasing the quality of products on the market, and choices available, so definitely agreed, I hope they continue - no reason why not - more and better detailed after all.

Regarding the coach-powered wheels, I agree they are more convenient in the respect of not requiring to change batteries every month, but I find the increased drag a nuisance, and also find that rails can get 'dirty' - an oxide layer more likely - more quickly.  Bit of swings and roundabouts.

I suppose for 'early coaches' a rake of 10 would be the maximum.

I find when you place a good-condition rake of 7 Hornby higher detail / lit Pullmans on, they need something pretty substantial to pull them and are equivalent to 11, perhaps 12 non-lit pin-point-axled coaches.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Regarding the coach-powered wheels, I agree they are more convenient in the respect of not requiring to change batteries every month, but I find the increased drag a nuisance, and also find that rails can get 'dirty' - an oxide layer more likely - more quickly.  Bit of swings and roundabouts.

Al.

Do what Bachmann do on the Birdcages.

Split axles with pin points running in metal bearings which are used for current pickup.

Another way is as on their loco tenders where the pickup bears against the split axle itself, with minimal drag compared other methods such as large metal spring against the axle (Pullmans), I have used this method to convert tenders without pickups but with split axles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

It's nice that enthusiastic entrepreneurs and very-long-term enthusiastic dealers / commercial operations like Hattons increase their interests, and assist in increasing the quality of products on the market, and choices available, so definitely agreed, I hope they continue - no reason why not - more and better detailed after all.

I suppose for 'early coaches' a rake of 10 would be the maximum.

I find when you place a good-condition rake of 7 Hornby higher detail / lit Pullmans on, they need something pretty substantial to pull them and are equivalent to 11, perhaps 12 non-lit pin-point-axled coaches.

Al.

16 4 wheelers was normal for suburban commuter trains (E.g. the GER Jazz trains). 10 6 wheelers maybe :)

• Like 3

I think a fair few of Hattons pre-orders are safe and sound. What Hornby have done is measure up the surviving Stroudleys, and then ruined them with some half baked fittings that shouldn't be there. They would have been better off just finishing off the job of producing a decent set of Stroudleys and sold them as exactly that. Fine if they want to then sell them in various other liveries, but that'd be like selling a Villa shirt in Birmingham City colours. What they've actually gone and done is ruined a nice set of Stroudleys and painted a Man U shirt in Barcelona colours.

My Hattons pre-orders are safe and sound, I just couldn't stomach a damaged City shirt in claret and blue.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

@Great Eastern Lady IIUC, LNER 'teak' for these small coaches is not correct and should be brown. It was mentioned in this thread a little earlier. (Might have been in the Hornby thread).  I stand to be corrected of course.

Edited by Philou
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

The other advantage of battery power is that (if the layout uses analogue controls), the lights don't go out when the train stops.

The ideal, to my mind, is to have pickups charging a rechargable battery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

And sadly, looks like Batch 3 will not go ahead anymore, as it has been removed from their site... was hoping for a LMR coach or two...

Still going to buy some GWR coaches when they are released from Hattons. There’s have better detail below the coaches. Along with some LBSCR coaches! 

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 2

Sticking with Hattons too! Think this was a bit of a petty move from Hornby - if it means they are going to produce more Pre-grouping locos as a result then great, but they've not offered anything new this year which is a shame.

Just worked it out and the Hattons models are only £11 more for the 7 LNWR I've ordered, that's fine by me as the livery and detailing looks better to my eye than the Hornby ones.

Edited by drt7uk
Lnwr
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Hornby ones are, i believe, likely to be cheaper and you do of course get what you pay for. 

Just compared my pre order to the Hornby prices and not too bad, thankfully... Hattons do a pack of 4 that works out at 50p more per carriage. Definitely sticking with my Hattons pre order

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Yes. As in, look at their main page for the coaches. No sign of Batch 3. That article was from August 12th. Below is from December 31st. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594

Batch three is being worked on dude as they need to get through the first two batches, this is needless and false panic from lack of reading proper how they're gonna be doing this and they just got the 2nd batch 3D livery samples.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ribird said:

Yes. As in, look at their main page for the coaches. No sign of Batch 3. That article was from August 12th. Below is from December 31st. 

Batch 3 mentioned on that page: "Please note - due to a number of factors, our Great Eastern Railway models have now been moved back to Batch 3, details of which will be provided later in 2021."

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hatton's don't seem to be too fussed about the competition from Hornby's generic coaches. After all they are advertising the Hornby coaches as available for pre-order. Maybe they've estimated that the market is big enough for both?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hatton's don't seem to be too fussed about the competition from Hornby's generic coaches. After all they are advertising the Hornby coaches as available for pre-order. Maybe they've estimated that the market is big enough for both?

It would be rather shooting themselves in the foot to not sell them, they cannot really afford to lose Hornby as a box shifter, they've already lost Bachmann.

Rails was selling the Hornby Terrier before their own product came on stream and it is only recently they stopped selling Hornby models.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I had an assurance from Hattons my  Bachmann Warflat order was safe but that did not last!

• Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It also gives Hatton’s the retail knowledge of how well each livery is selling and whether any cancelled Genesis orders are buying the Hornby offerings instead.

If I was Hatton’s, I’d be setting my websites algorithms to plonk a Genesis advert at the top and bottom of the Hornby coaches pages, you’d be surprised at how many railway modellers are oblivious about new and forthcoming releases.

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

53 minutes ago, turbos said:

It also gives Hatton’s the retail knowledge of how well each livery is selling and whether any cancelled Genesis orders are buying the Hornby offerings instead.

If I was Hatton’s, I’d be setting my websites algorithms to plonk a Genesis advert at the top and bottom of the Hornby coaches pages, you’d be surprised at how many railway modellers are oblivious about new and forthcoming releases.

Brian.

If I was Hattons, I would be seeking to avoid a trade war with Hornby.  The Hornby versions actually solve a dilema. I've been thinking of how to buy some GNR ones without duplicating the body forms I already have for the SECR ones I ordered. So buying the Hornby ones solves that issue.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ribird said:

Just looked at that link and batch 3 is still mentioned right at the bottom, though noted as not yet open for pre-orders.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, turbos said:

Brian.

You'd be surprised at how many of us are just oblivious!:jester:

John

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just looked at that link and batch 3 is still mentioned right at the bottom, though noted as not yet open for pre-orders.

John

There’s an explanation of that buried somewhere in the thread, Dave basically said they’ll open pre orders once they know the timing. 

• Like 2