Firth Road

lincoln40a

Hello everyone.

Following on from the demise of my 'Holmes Yard' project back in Oct 2016. I was reduced to armchair modeling, the new outbuildings were not finished until May 2018. 

I'd carried on Surfing rmweb but I decided to downsize my expectations. 

I looked at recreating one of the lost Lincolnshire branch line termini but even they require a fare bit of space.

So being an enthusiast and former apprentice with 33yrs service  I joined the Ruston & Hornsby archive volunteers  digitising the huge mass of  records 'found' in the old 'Cannons Glue works' on Firth Road. A huge undertaking for just 7 of us! Much of which has been digitised by us but not yet transfered to the 'Lincs to the Past' website. 

Fast forward to early this year and the Hornby announcement of their intention to produce a 48ds  coinciding with the DEMOLITION of the former Ruston, Boultham works .My mojo came back! 

The original works of Wm Foster and Ruston Proctor were at right angles to Cannons Glue on Firth Road so I guessed an L shape layout would suite. There is an aerial photo taken in 1926 online . This area is famous for Fosters developing the ww1 Tank and Ruston Proctors then, newly built aircraft factory during ww1. In ww2 Rustons built Matilda tanks and brengun carriers, so from 1914 to the 1960s when loco building ceased there was plenty going on in this area.

So how big should I go? 

I tried 6ftx6ft by 18ins but the radius into Rustons looked too tight so I increased the depth of 2ft . 

I finished up with 4 boards 4ftx2ft  giving me 10ftx8ft to play with. From the onset viewing would be from inside the L shape. A 22 inch traintable is at  the far end of 'Firth rd'

I have yet to go digital  so I have 4 bus bars, track is left over 00 gauge smp with peco code 75 live frog turnouts.

Regards

Graham

• Like 1

These 3 bays represent the R&H Woodworks, the siding is connected directly to the train table as is the long siding next to the running line.The siding enters the 3rd bay and continues behind the stepped back scene for hidden storage.

8CBCC472-D94F-4FA8-A2D8-D1E45A2B776C.jpeg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, lincoln40a said:

Thanks Neil,

some may think there's too much greenery for a factory as busy as Rustons but with little or no concrete you can make out quite a lot in the b/w photos published in

Andrew Neale's book on Ruston loco's. 

Graham

Think it looks spot on my frend,and nice to be different too...

• Like 1

Well after a mind numbing 3 days I’ve managed to ‘perfect’ a method of forming 4mm scale corrugated sheeting and applying it to my rendition of the original engine test house .

i think though, the effect is more

Col’ Stephens ! than Ruston-Hornsby .

003071F2-4838-40FF-9DBA-CCBD06C9121F.jpeg

712ECD02-216C-491B-B3F6-0A405B4DB5DE.jpeg

• Like 7