Odd 21ton mineral working.

w124bob

Spotted this unusual working at Crianlarich, an airbrake freight with a single 21ton mineral in the train. Now according to Paul Bartlett a small number had a through airpipe conversion, TOPS code MDW sometime in the 80's . l assume it's been used for coal for Fort William in connection with steamers. Also note in other pictures from this album the vac brake bogie bolsters with airpipes in timber service. Picture is from Ernie Brack

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36367740442/in/album-72157685023339563/

Sadly the excellent Chivers Fineline kit for the vac brake MDV is not around any more.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is this detail any help? It's a detail from a photo David Idle lent me, which I can't post here. The date is 01/09/86, and it is at the front of a northbound freight at Rannoch behind 37085. Of the rest of the train, only a very modern-looking bogie powder/grain wagon of some sort is visible (lettered "????  Kingdom") - almost certainly air-braked. 

image.png.895944ac68d42457dd541bdaed9f15e9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The MDW wagons that went to Fort Bill were for scrap metal, it was an ‘as required’ flow of  used metal strap bindings, I know the chap who had to climb up and in to the wagon with a set of cutters to make sure the springy metal wouldn’t spring out of gauge in transit. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, turbos said:

The MDW wagons that went to Fort Bill were for scrap metal, it was an ‘as required’ flow of  used metal strap bindings, I know the chap who had to climb up and in to the wagon with a set of cutters to make sure the springy metal wouldn’t spring out of gauge in transit. 

Fascinating! Thanks! 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2020 at 07:16, Daddyman said:

It's here again in FW yard, possibly confirming the theory that it delivered coal for the steam-hauled trains. 

Black 5MT 44767 'George Stephenson' backs light ex Fort Wm Shed. Jun'85.

A b&w photo of these 3 wagons taken from the other direction appears in Tom Noble's book The West Highland Mallaig Extension p.109, dated 31st May 1985.

I'm ecstatic to have found this thread as I have just bought kits from the NGS to help recreate them, so a colour photo and the thread's information is invaluable. Many thanks for posting.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

At the cost of a bit of drift, here is an MDV  abut away from home - seen at Thurso in 1981.

723125681_MDVThurso1981.JPG.60410938b6c2995211cc01ff27937248.JPG

In latter days, they seemed to travel far and wide; when built, almost all were dedicated to particular flows. I must congratulate the photographer for a photo of what must be the tattiest example I've seen of this type.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

In latter days, they seemed to travel far and wide; when built, almost all were dedicated to particular flows. I must congratulate the photographer for a photo of what must be the tattiest example I've seen of this type.

Fairly standard condition. And confirms Tim Shackleton's astute observation that there's a hint of purple in rust. 

Edited by Daddyman