Bonding Kingspan (or similar) insulation board?

I need to bond some sections of foil-backed insulation board (as shown) to a ply baseboard surface, and then once the insulation has been shaped and sanded, bond some 1mm styrene sheet to the exposed top surface.

Now, I know "solvent-free" is essential to avoid a melted gooey mess, but does anyone have any experience of doing this and what did you use? I'm thinking undiluted PVA would be sufficient to bond the insulation to the ply if I use weights while the glue dries. What I'm less sure about is what to use to bond the styrene to the foam? I remember doing it before years ago with no ill-effects, but I can't remember how! Any thoughts? Thanks, Pete.

Edited because I forgot to add the image!

index.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Pete, I used the solvent free type of 'Gripfill' on all the Balcombe boards and it does the job perfectly. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripfill-solvent-free-white-350ml/64958?kpid=64958&ds_kid=92700031524367480&msclkid=c03ef8db37a417cf4bc4a545e040042f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX | Shopping | Sealants %26 Adhesives&utm_term=4583863977261225&utm_content=G - Adhesives&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CK65spCQkeUCFUuDhQodT0ICMA&gclsrc=ds

Allow it to set overnight or maybe a bit longer. I've used it for years on all my baseboards using 'Polyfoam' insulation board of some sort or another.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Pete, I used the solvent free type of 'Gripfill' on all the Balcombe boards and it does the job perfectly. 

Great, thanks John. I had an idea it was something similar that I'd used in the past, but I wasn't 100% sure. I need to pop into Cromer this morning, so Screwfix will get a visit.

• RMweb Gold

I used gripfill (was probably the ordinary one) to bond the board to my ply, I did retain the foil as that kept a flat surface. for the top I stripped the foil off and moulded and sculpted with a surform with a vaccum cleaner on the go all the time,  I topped it off with mod-roc type bandage. Anything else was fitted with dobs of glue from a hot glue gun.

For plasticard I might think about one of the resin glues like Gorilla. but I'd test it first.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to add that a 'dot and dab' application (a small dollop every six inches) does the job when bonding ply sheets to the stuff.

The insulation material is just the best for baseboard construction (sorry, preaching to the converted!) I also use the offcuts for contour forming glued down and held in position by suitable length nails pressed in. For the land itself I use 'Sculptamold' which is a sort of dried papier-mache powder. Also very light.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just back from Screwfix and they were doing an in-store deal on PinkGrip. I'm not sure what the difference is but it's definitely solvent-free so should do the job just fine.

For the styrene, that needs to follow a contour formed into the insulation, so I may bond some thin bendy MDF straight to the foam and then add the styrene to that. Thanks guys.

pinkgrip.jpg

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Just back from Screwfix and they were doing an in-store deal on PinkGrip. I'm not sure what the difference is but it's definitely solvent-free so should do the job just fine.

For the styrene, that needs to follow a contour formed into the insulation, so I may bond some thin bendy MDF straight to the foam and then add the styrene to that. Thanks guys.

pinkgrip.jpg

As long as it's 'solvent-free' you should be fine. they're all much of a muchness.

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I imagine Kingspan is similar to extruded polystyrene? If so, I have found ordinary wood-glue works fine, including adding sheet styrene as a surface. 

Yes it is Ian (as far as I know). As long as it's not the messy 'expanded' stuff!

• Thanks 1