The sequel to Distillery Yard - Finlarig halt.

18 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Luke that's an ingenious way of transporting your stock, I may have to nick it haha.
In all seriousness I do need a way to store my locos and rolling stock so its not just in boxes round my room, I cannot just get what I want easily and run it.

It's a much more affordable way to do it to compared to the products from 10 commandment models. The other box uses a grey foam camping mat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke the train spotter said:

It's a much more affordable way to do it to compared to the products from 10 commandment models. The other box uses a grey foam camping mat. 

I've had a look and I can get a box that suits my needs for about £6 and i've got some foam left from other projects.

Thanks for the great idea

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 18:11, luke the train spotter said:

IMG_20191028_220801452.jpg.c2def8bb2cb3bcdb3bb7f2c68105a925.jpg .....All in all very happy with how it's all come out. 

Luke, 

Just had a complete read through of both this thread and your distillery thread. Excellent work! I love the amount of atmosphere that you have in such a smallish area. 

I'm actually planning on starting a micro layout not dissimilar to your distillery one.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

William

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AireValley1962 said:

Luke, 

Just had a complete read through of both this thread and your distillery thread. Excellent work! I love the amount of atmosphere that you have in such a smallish area. 

I'm actually planning on starting a micro layout not dissimilar to your distillery one.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

William

Thanks William! Let us know how you get on with modelling the Distillery and if you need any help with pictures of prototypes let us know, I've built up a photo bank whilst researching for distillery yard. 

For those that don't know I go by the name of Lukes_micro_layouts on Instagram. I post quite a lot of pictures of my layouts along with the updates on my story. Also on a Monday there is the "Train Crash" podcast live stream with me and my mate Oliver which is a laugh as well as live streamed running sessions (with requests) for anyone interested. Screenshot_20200114-191713.png.f1ac9b4ca140f6571b26066cad3c0402.png

• Like 5

More exhibition prep on Finlarig today. Spurred on by the arrival of a custom made layout sign I've finished off the fascia on the fiddle yard board and are currently waiting for the fascia paint to finish drying on the back of the layout as a write this now. IMG_20200116_185926407.jpg.c088e30ad80b9b7a7519fe43742e7680.jpgI decided to get one of the smaller name boards since one double that size would just dominate the fascia a bit too much for my liking. I think it looks quite crisp and trim so big thumbs up from me. I ordered it from a seller on eBay for £10 and it feels pretty solid being made of aluminum and some mdf. As well as that I have tidied up the wires to the lighting rig in the fascia using some wooden clothing pegs, hot glue and a terminal block. IMG_20200116_190729965.jpg.49312f36f7d3ca169ae1f315e9b6aeef.jpgThis is a tip I picked up from Hornby magazine a couple years back and it works great, just running out of wooden pegs now! I reckon the next jobs will be sorting out a curtain/skirt , lining the fiddle yards with foam (to protect the stocks flanges) and blending in the road extension with the rest of the grass scenery. 

• Like 9

On 16/01/2020 at 14:41, luke the train spotter said:

. . . . I ordered it from a seller on eBay for £10 and it feels pretty solid being made of aluminum and some mdf. . . . .

Looks terrific, Luke. May I ask where exactly you got the sign board, as I'd like to order one for my layout?

Cheers,

Will

1 hour ago, AireValley1962 said:

Looks terrific, Luke. May I ask where exactly you got the sign board, as I'd like to order one for my layout?

Cheers,

Will

No problem Will. Here's a link to the exact one I bought. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-LNER-GWR-Railway-Totem-Sign-any-text-you-want/182955604496?hash=item2a9900fa10:m:mgSP6ORPfbEN3c9zee-88HQ

Something to not is the small one (the one I got) is small and there are some dimensions in the product info to help you decide what size you want. 

• Thanks 1

What's the plan for the section of white fascia where your little road is - the one your (seriously awesome) RC van is going to use to access the fiddle yard?

Have you considered wrapping that part of the fascia with an ultra low relief structure, like a post office or a pub to go with your little house?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielB said:

What's the plan for the section of white fascia where your little road is - the one your (seriously awesome) RC van is going to use to access the fiddle yard?

Have you considered wrapping that part of the fascia with an ultra low relief structure, like a post office or a pub to go with your little house?

So the plan was to simply add a tree or something but a pub sounds pretty good! I mean it can't be a Scottish layout without somewhere to buy whisky from!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

No problem Will. Here's a link to the exact one I bought. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-LNER-GWR-Railway-Totem-Sign-any-text-you-want/182955604496?hash=item2a9900fa10:m:mgSP6ORPfbEN3c9zee-88HQ

Something to not is the small one (the one I got) is small and there are some dimensions in the product info to help you decide what size you want. 

Thanks ever so much, Luke. Much appreciated. 

Will

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well only one week to the exhibition and it's all hands on deck. With revision for mocks and work set up for half term it's gonna be interesting to find time to finish a couple bits of the layout off. But today Ive managed to find a few spare moments after work to start on the skirt for the layout. I'm using distillery yard's skirt plus an extra bit of black fabric on the end to wrap around the whole layout. IMG_20200215_172640816.jpg.fd1475233fac765eb4f41dbdda32152a.jpgStill need to finish and tidy up some scenery as well as cover up some damage to the fascia before it'll be ready for Saturday. 

• Like 8

Seems that the pressure of the exhibition has increased my rate of work! This afternoon's efforts have seen a mock set up of the layout. I've taken the layout out of the train room (aka a walk in wardrobe minus the shelves) and set it up with completed skirt on trestles. Then I lined the fiddle yards with 5mm foamboard with the top layer of paper removed. This just protects the flanges from any damage that can occur over time. IMG_20200216_200124680.jpg.b6bc2bd6119ac5aac8fe8a6efa852660.jpg Here's a picture of what the layout looks like set up from the back. IMG_20200216_200415593.jpg.1aab2a1c0df11b729670508c6e970abd.jpg Just thinking what to take as well as stock etc and I think it would be a good test to take my super compact boxfile work bench and show it off to the world and see how well it stands to transportion etc. I'll keep you all posted as the exhibition draws nearer. 

• Like 3