The sequel to Distillery Yard - Finlarig halt.

Bit of a strange one this and an end to the layout for me. The second day was very good, again no problems what so ever. I was operating with my good friend Henry who brought some stock with him. Cut a long story short and we had traded his 24 (a model I'd been after for years now!) For Finlarig. This will be converted to a north eastern region halt as part of a roundy layout. I hadn't planned to move on from this layout so fast but seems like I now have some free space and another invitation to the same show next year.

• Like 4

On 23/02/2020 at 19:13, luke the train spotter said:

Bit of a strange one this and an end to the layout for me. The second day was very good, again no problems what so ever. I was operating with my good friend Henry who brought some stock with him. Cut a long story short and we had traded his 24 (a model I'd been after for years now!) For Finlarig. This will be converted to a north eastern region halt as part of a roundy layout. I hadn't planned to move on from this layout so fast but seems like I now have some free space and another invitation to the same show next year.

Wow fair enough.
Onto the next project then, any plans?

• Like 1

Hope you had a fantastic weekend mate, it was a great show. 

it’s a shame I won’t be able to get the RC van onto the platform again , Maybe next layout .

great little layout mate and it’s going on to a great home. 

im looking forward you the next layout all ready. 

jamie 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Wow fair enough.
Onto the next project then, any plans?

I don't have any solid plans yet but I'm pretty sure that I'll downsize as finlairg felt a little big. We'll see though. I can't decide whether to go branch line again or build another industrial layout that could take the form of a Colliery. 

14 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

I don't have any solid plans yet but I'm pretty sure that I'll downsize as finlairg felt a little big. We'll see though. I can't decide whether to go branch line again or build another industrial layout that could take the form of a Colliery. 

I'm a big advocate of industrial layouts, more so than passenger workings and stations.
So my vote would always go to industrial.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

A colliery sounds quite nice. I loved the distillery model you built. Maybe same track plan with another siding for the screens would not go amiss!

(Here I go planning layouts for other people before finishing mine!)

Cheers,

Will

Edited by AireValley1962
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AireValley1962 said:

A colliery sounds quite nice. I loved the distillery model you built. Maybe same track plan with another siding for the screens would not go amiss!

(Here I go planning layouts for other people before finishing mine!)

Cheers,

Will

Hahaha we'll see what happens. I quite like the idea of rebuilding and extending cronton colliery sheds. 

• Like 4

Just looking back on this layout and thinking about what I'd do next time. The biggest thing is change is the use of foamboard as the fascia. This was a very easy material to work with as you can cut it with large scissors, it takes pretty much any non solvent based glue, is lightweight and cheap. The downside of this is that it is in fact quite an easy surface to damage when moving the layout. During transportation the layout experienced a few bumps and bruises that I'm sure wouldn't have mattered had I used a plywood fascia. An advantage of having a pretty fast turn over of layouts is that I can correct this error for next time! Ive also realised that I've not got round to posting any pictures of stock running at the exhibition by being rather occupied with my A level mocks. I'm aware that my real A levels are just around the corner but the run up to my GCSE exams 2 years ago were some of my most productive modelling times ever so I'm gonna keep modelling options open, after all I do need to sort a uni layout out at some point. IMG_20200223_132417398.jpg.97e4e484cf174d9a660836e9ca799b96.jpgIMG_20200223_103625144.jpg.1a4397a9f03ac74a5726a564f5e938da.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 months later...