The sequel to Distillery Yard - Finlarig halt.

Hello Luke,

Quite remarkable! In the time you have taken to construct this layout I believe I may have achieved the quite unremarkable feat of gluing a few bits of kit together! You obviously have a talent for capturing an atmosphere and I hope you don't mind me saying but if I didn't know better I would say this was a Chris Nevard layout. Stunning observation and interpretation that deserves recognition. Anyway back to sticking another bit of kit together for me!

Woody

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, noctilux2 said:

Luke.  One thing I can’t find is the size of your excellent layout.  It looks a single point job, my kind of layout (!), but what space is given over to scenic and fiddle please. 

Ok so the scenic measures 67.5cm long by 25cm. There are 2 fiddle yards (one still to be built but I'll do that after the deadline as it isnt urgent. The to be built fiddle yard will be a copy of the current one which measures 48cm by 25cm. It is only one point (which is scenic) though I may add one in each fiddle yard later on like I did with distillery yard. 

2 hours ago, Woody C said:

Hello Luke,

Quite remarkable! In the time you have taken to construct this layout I believe I may have achieved the quite unremarkable feat of gluing a few bits of kit together! You obviously have a talent for capturing an atmosphere and I hope you don't mind me saying but if I didn't know better I would say this was a Chris Nevard layout. Stunning observation and interpretation that deserves recognition. Anyway back to sticking another bit of kit together for me!

Woody

Thank you very much Woody! Chris Nevard is a massive inspiration to me so it's very encouraging to hear your kind words. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can now confirm that this layout will be at the EBOR 2020 model railway exhibition in Heworth, York on the 22nd and 23rd February. This is the same exhibition that Distillery Yard (more about its 2020 appearance in a later post) made its debut exhibition at last year and it was a fantastic show! To any modeller young or old, amateur or pro in the hobby I’d recommend it. It was one of the first exhibitions i went to (now 4 years ago!) and I’ve been back every year since with it always proving an inspiration. Here is a link to a website with some more details on; when I get an official leaflet I will post a picture on it here. 

https://railwaymodels.uk/event-ebor-group-of-railway-modellers-model-railway-show-2020-02-22#.XffuhoGnyhA

To get the layout ready for the show I need to build the other fiddle yard, paint the fascia and get a curtain sorted for the layout. In other news, I ordered a very exciting bit of kit today which will take a while to get here since I’m having it custom built and it will need the roadway re-modelling properly, but more on that when it gets here after Christmas!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A quite exciting development with the layout today. A custom built, oo gauge RC van has arrived! I ordered this to add another depth to operating finlarig as halts weren't renown for busy train services so to have something else moving and railway related on the layout seemed very appealing. The van runs very well (hope to do a YouTube video on it) and was built by a guy called JP models, a seller on Facebook. Can't recommend this guy enough! Great prices, excellent customer service and product updates and a quick build time. IMG_20200103_132404474.jpg.271b0990c70c340e4f5a2e1d21845211.jpgIn other news I have got hold of an official leaflet for the exhibition where you can see finlarig halt and the RC van at. With the turn of the new year it doesn't seem that far away now!IMG_20200103_132934411.jpg.19871dd1154fb32b4615f1235ddf7fb7.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, one of @Pikey's amazing RC models! I've been following his thread in the Radio Control section (linked below) for some time, the things he gets up to is quite impressive and has inspired some of my own more mechanical efforts.

I can't wait to see the van in action around your layouts, I always find it interesting to see something other than the trains that moves.

• Like 2

After a busy shift at work happy to get some more done on Finlarig. After test driving the can around a bit, it confirmed my suspicions that the road surface was too rough for the van so I have sanded it down. I also need road access to the fiddle yard so I can drive the van on and off scene. This was done using some 5mm foambaord, hot glue and some strips of scored card. All this stuff will be blended into the current road way (which will be repainted to match the old colour but maybe a little lighter). I may have to tweak some bits like the gate to suit the turning circle of the van but that's no a big deal. I'm very excited to see where this van can take me and my next layout will definitely have better road access to accommodate it. IMG_20200104_230037271.jpg.3e25e1e5cbc03f78f9a5707c12c97c75.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A couple evenings worth of work and we have a through running layout! I've attached a fiddle yard made out of the baseboard of a false started ironstone layout. It's 1ft by 2ft long so brings the layout up to the total length of 6ft, my biggest layout in 2 years! It's attached with wing nuts and bolts so can be removed for transport. IMG_20200111_175243449.jpg.2e9b4d098be78e381fb5a6e2f1d6c870.jpg It's still to be clad in foamboard then I can paint the fascia so that everything matches. With the fiddle yard attached and some temporary track attached I've begun to work out an operating schedule using the van. IMG_20200111_175240178.jpg.c032acd915581085141aae778136e0f0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

55 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

That is really good luke.
Will you be putting any points in the fiddle yard? or just a single length?

That's something I still need to work out. I think I probably will put points in at some point but I don't think I will now. I'll have to give it more operating before any of that can happen. 

• Like 1

With the exhibition drawing ever closer (getting more and more excited for it!) I've built my second stock box. Used one of the same boxes as I've used for my stock box but one now just isn't enough. The box cost £3 plus a £2 yoga mat and there you go, a second stock box. I don't mind the pink colour for the box since it won't be on show but need to sort out some foam lining for the fiddle yards really. IMG_20200113_164216746.jpg.b4a41ba8d1c9c24ceaca69fcac9774d9.jpgWith the RC van and NCE power cab controller and power leads in I just fill the 2 boxes, double what I needed to take Distillery to it's exhibition last year!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1