Class 92 Three Circle "O's" - Function?

Sir TophamHatt

20 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

What are the three donut O's on the side of a 92 for?

And, following on from Mark above,

I believe it was to 'symbolise' looking along the Channel Tunnel

i.e.

the diminishing diameters of the 'circles'

Brian R

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, br2975 said:

And, following on from Mark above,

I believe it was to 'symbolise' looking along the Channel Tunnel

i.e.

the diminishing diameters of the 'circles'

Brian R

It was indeed intended to symbolise the connection with the Channel Tunnel hence they were originally intended to be on the entire Class 92 fleet as the original intention was that locos could be cross-working between any of the book 'owners' .  In the 92s  were all diagrammed internally by each 'owner' but some cross working would have been inevitable due to maintenance being based on Crewe for the whole fleet.  So basically it was a Channel Tunnel working branding - not an EPS branding as such.  In Eurostar they were often irreverently referred to as 'the Morris 8 hubcaps'. (although the resemblance was in reality pretty slight).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pheaton said:

Im sure ive read somewhere they are extremely difficult to remove which is why they have persisted for so long.

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I was told by a traction engineer that on the 92s they were fixed in such a manner as to avoid offering an easy target for 'souvenir hunters'

29 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

Its often said they are welded on.

I thought they were the sprue from when they injection moulded the sides of the locomotives.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

I thought the 3 circles symbolise: 1) the third attempt in history to construct a channel tunnel, 2) the 3 tunnel bores in total , 2 running bores and the service access bore, 3) the three French workers killed during construction.

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

I thought the 3 circles symbolise: 1) the third attempt in history to construct a channel tunnel, 2) the 3 tunnel bores in total , 2 running bores and the service access bore, 3) the three French workers killed during construction.

You'll have to ask the consultancy who designed them.   But I think that if you are right in one respect there should have been two larger ones of the same size with a smaller one between them for the most common arrangement of the running tunnels and the service tunnel ;)