I have chosen the slate quarry mining industry for my cakebox challenge. The cakebox will have a low relief quarry building, a length of 009 Peco track and a slate quarry wagons. There will be foliage and ground cover with the cakebox.:)

Edited by OOman
  • Like 2

Forgive me for being pedantic here, but as I live surrounded by hundreds of thousands of tons of the stuff, we call them quarries!!

Good luck with your project. More often than not its just a quick trip up the road to see the real thing!!  

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the likes, I hope to start on my cakebox next week. I’m collecting all the items I need before laying down the ground work.

On 10/10/2019 at 16:21, MartinWales said:

Forgive me for being pedantic here, but as I live surrounded by hundreds of thousands of tons of the stuff, we call them quarries!!

Good luck with your project. More often than not its just a quick trip up the road to see the real thing!!  

Ha, nice one Martin!

A lot of people think 'mine' = tunnelled, sub surface working  - while a 'quarry' is open cast.  However I believe they originate, and so the 'proper' use of the terms, are mining minerals (eg coal, iron ore, etc) and quarrying rock/stone.  However there are plenty of historical records, and companies, which confused the two.

• Like 1

And, slate was/is won by both tunnelling and by blasting great pits out of mountains, sometimes in the same general location, so the distinction is either important or not, depending upon how you look at it.

And of course local rivalry said that Blaenau Ffestiniog had the largest slate mine in the world, and Bethesda claimed the largest slate quarry in the world.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, MartinWales said:

Think Dinorwic too, Merfyn!

Yes you're right Martin. Dinorwic claimed they were the largest, Bethesda claims it now ! :rolleyes:

• Like 1