Steam Train Britain

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Another railway programme starts on UK Yesterday Channel on Thursday 17th October at 2000

"Steam Train Britain" will be exploring the preserved railways, large and small.

6 episodes in all.

It comes up as a Radio Times choice programme

EDIT:

Link  https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/steam-train-britain/

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Foot got raised towards TV on that 8F but was lowered when realised it was a pasty on the manifold 

I want a railway program to demonstrate the shovels main use other than shoveling coal........and you certainly wouldn't want to eat that!

On the whole wasn't too bad a program 

• RMweb Gold

Good to see "my" 8F on the GCR (I have a few shares in it.) On the whole a very enjoyable programme without the Channel 5 false jeopardy element - will the buffet car run out of tea!!

• Like 2

My first thought was, what hasn't been covered already by other programs, honestly I was impressed with what I saw. When it comes any railway programs one of my pet hates is when the presenters are to join in with the activity. I mentioned something like this on another forum when 'Train Spotting Live' came out and back then I said something to the likes of 'Railway Roundabout' would be prefect in the 21st century. After watching 'Steam Train Britain' I'd say it's a close second to 'Railway Roundabout', as it's a nice torch for the volunteer's / apprentice to talk to the camera, a little commentary to what is happening and being 45 minutes long.

I'll stay turned in for the next few episodes. 

• Agree 1

I've just watched the recording I made.

The first episode was impressive, they actually told you stuff without a gurning presenter getting in the way and let the volunteers talk without inane feeder questions.

And, as mentioned above, unlike many other programmes NO false jeopardy so far!

Excellent!

On 26/10/2019 at 10:44, StueyG said:

I am enjoying the programme as well but why do they keep showing shots of a double Fairley when talking about the Welsh Highland? It seems the production team haven't grasped the fact that although they both use Porthmadoc they are seperate railways. Other than that, very good with some interesting details.

Errr...taken at Rhyd Ddu, WHR on 4 May 2019...….TWO Fairlies. 

Edited by Edthefolkie
Replaced shot

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2019 at 10:44, StueyG said:

I am enjoying the programme as well but why do they keep showing shots of a double Fairley when talking about the Welsh Highland? It seems the production team haven't grasped the fact that although they both use Porthmadoc they are seperate railways. Other than that, very good with some interesting details.

The Ffestiniog markets them together as one:

https://www.festrail.co.uk/

On Countryfile Autumn Diaries BBC1 Tuesday last, Jules Hudson was reporting from Boston Lodge about the shortage of train crew on heritage railways ( Garratts and Double Fairlies were seen together) and he took part in a driver training programme.

It's about 10mins and should be on iPlayer

Edited by melmerby

• 2 weeks later...

I like its approach, there's a lot less concentrating on the "characters" on the railway that tend to get front and centre in most programmes because they allegedly make good TV, and more on the Joe/ Josephine ordinary. Its also a lot better at explaining things too, technical but not so much that its unintelligible to the layman.

If I've one very minor bug bear with it its whoever scripted the voiceover, the 3rd episode with the wedding on P3/4 at Bolton Street, the station was constantly referred to as "Bury St" despite the camera constantly panning to the running in boards!  This week the commentary constantly referred to Braunton as "The Braunton" which grated after a while.  Some of the continuity is a bit suspect as well but we will gloss over that!

Not complaining though, we have had some good publicity out of it for the weddings and the dining trains. The crew filmed me operating the crossing gate wheel at Rammy from the platform, so I await with interest to see if its the cutting room floor or my 15 seconds of infamy.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen 3 episodes and thought it was very good. Particularly liked where they showed how a new tyre is fitted on a loco driving wheel, and laying a new section of track, was that on the Festiniog?

In the last episode I saw they finally got the station name correct, Bury Bolton Street!

• Like 1

I really appreciated the latest episode where they showed the Autocoach train including how the controls work as I've always wondered exactly what the firmen does when the driver is in the autocoach. Although it was a bit embarrassing for the firemen when the train ran out of steam a few hundred yards from the station!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I really appreciated the latest episode where they showed the Autocoach train including how the controls work as I've always wondered exactly what the firmen does when the driver is in the autocoach. Although it was a bit embarrassing for the firemen when the train ran out of steam a few hundred yards from the station!

I must admit i did wonder whether they really did run out of steam, or whether it was another bit of 'false drama'/

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, rab said:

I must admit i did wonder whether they really did run out of steam, or whether it was another bit of 'false drama'/

Possibly an over-egged bit of drama, but it illustrated a point, that the driver and fireman work as a team and that each has to concentrate on their job and be aware of where they are.  On the whole, Steam Train Britain is a series that has been mercifully devoid of end of segment dramas and more interesting for that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...