Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

• RMweb Gold

Q&A – The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

The 00 Poll Team is delighted to say that The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 will run from about 0900 Monday 14 October to midnight on Saturday 2 November.

We thought you might like to have some questions answered before you take part.

What is the purpose of The Poll?  

To provide railway modellers and collectors with an easy and informed way of indicating to manufacturers and commissioners of 00 ready-to-run models which models they would realistically buy if made at some time in the future from all-new tooling (excluding models announced or made since 1 January 2005).

The ‘firm cut-off date and all new tooling’ basis gives us an agreed date of items for listing and precludes us making ‘quality judgments’. If voters feel that any pre-2005 model is fine – and many are – there is no need to vote for them.

We can’t expect makers to scrap their tooling and make a totally new model that might only be marginally better!

Who has been involved in putting The Poll and Guide together?

The 9-man Poll Team has thoroughly reviewed every item in The Poll and every word and link of The Guide.

For comments and help with various matters, we would like to thank Nick Evans. Our thanks also to The Bluebell Railway Archive for some links to photos (via Team member, Glen Woods).

Our grateful thanks also go to Andy York of RMweb for yet again preparing the computerised voting aspects. Andy neither has direct input to, nor ‘influence’ on, the actual content, but there wouldn’t be a Poll without him!

Are you ‘affiliated’ to any manufacturer or do you get paid?

No! The 9-man Poll Team is totally independent, but we are most grateful for the support with space and publicity we receive from RMweb as well as numerous magazines, clubs and retailers.

What’s new for The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019?

We have deleted the Industrial and Underground categories to give us more space for ‘core content’ and we now list many more items that voters have requested. We have also introduced a new Category 21 – Your Suggestions for Re-makes of Post-2005 00 Models. The ‘Top 3’ of each type will be reported in the Results. They will then be listed in the 2020 Poll – subject to them polling more votes than the overall-lowest voted item of 2019.

And…we have a fresh new look for the voting pages! 

Which companies/organisations do you see as manufacturers or commissioners of models?

Accurascale, Bachmann, BRM, C Rail Intermodal, Cavalex Models, Dapol, Drax Power Station, Heljan, Flangeway, Hattons, Hornby, Hornby Magazine, Ian Allan, Invicta, Kernow Model Centre, KR Models, Model Rail, National Railway Museum, Olivia’s Trains, Oxford Rail, Peco, RMweb, Rail Exclusives, Rail Express Modeller, Rails of Sheffield, Rapido, Real Track, RevolutioN Trains (00 models), STEAM Museum (Swindon) and TMC.

What is included in or specifically excluded from The Poll?

Our ‘core content’ is a wide selection of locos and rolling stock of British Railways, its predecessors and successors. Many items of a ‘heritage/preserved’ nature are included by default.

We could easily show over 30,000 items – there are over 450 types of GWR & Constituents coaches and 250 LMS wagons – so we have to ‘draw a line’ somewhere!

We specifically exclude any item that has been announced for production from all new tooling or actually produced from all new tooling since 1 January 2005.

Other examples excluded are: Channel Tunnel (apart from Eurostar); industrial, dock and military systems; airport inter-terminal systems; broad and narrow gauge; ‘Thomas the Tank’; and tram, tram-train, metro and underground systems. Additionally, we exclude brand new ‘full size’ locos, rolling stock, DMUs or EMUs unless they are at least on test in the UK.

What is the running order of categories for the 2019 Poll?

Each category below is a hyperlink to the relevant Guide page.

1    Locos: GWR & Constituents

2    Locos: SR & Constituents

3    Locos: LMS & Constituents

4    Locos: LNER & Constituents

5    Locos: BR Standard, WD & USATC

6    Locos: Gas Turbine, Diesel & Electric

7    Railbuses, Railcars & DMUs

8    EMUs

9   Coaches: GWR & Constituents

10  Coaches: SR & Constituents

11  Coaches: LMS & Constituents

12 Coaches: LNER & Constituents

13 Coaches: BR & Successors + Pullman Cars

14 Coaching Stock: Non-passenger-carrying

15  Freight Stock: Pre-1923 RCH & GWR + Pre-Grouping Railway Company Designs

16 Freight Stock: 1923-1947 Big Four Designs & Others inc some BR Descendants

17 Freight Stock: 1948-1963

18 Freight Stock: 1964-Current

19 General Railway Service Stock: Departmental (Steam Era)

20  General Railway Service Stock: On-Track Plant (Post-Steam Era)

21  Your Suggestions for Re-makes of Post-2005 00 Models

We now have four freight categories instead of three. Freight Stock: Pre-1923 and Freight Stock: 1923-1947 cover not only designs up to 1947 but also vehicles perpetuated to those or very similar designs by BR. So, if you want freight stock for the main BR steam era, please look at these before the 1948-1963 category. General Railway Service Stock has been split to more accurately reflect ‘old’ and ‘modern’ stock.

What will voters find when they first ‘click’ into the The Poll?

Voters will be taken to the opening category, it may be heplpful to read the Jargon Buster if you are unfamiliar with any nomenclature.

You will then find the 21 voting categories. If you are only interested in, say, EMUs, all you need do is go to that category, click the items you would realistically wish to buy in the future, scroll to the end and hit ‘submit’.

If you are an experienced modeller who knows what you want, you can ‘dive straight in’ via the links. However, whilst there is no actual need to access The Guide, we strongly urge you to do so, as we give you a summary of all the items in each category. You will be able to get an overall feel for what you want to vote for before going into the voting section – especially the Freight Stock categories.

The Poll Team has created The Guide in the same running order as you will find it in the voting categories. Each item has had some text written about it to help you put it in context. It is not designed as a ‘definitive history’.

Where possible, we have provided ‘links’ to further detail – but these should only be treated as a ‘general reference’. Locos and rolling stock often changed in appearance slightly over the years. All ‘links’ have been given in good faith and were working at the time of publication but we leave it to the discretion of voters whether they click on any. We cannot take responsibility for the information on those links or any subsequent impact on pollsters’ computers.

The Guide is particularly valuable if you are a less-experienced modeller who doesn’t know – for example –  the build-dates of the various BR Mk1 catering vehicles, or whether one particular 0-6-0 loco will suit your needs better than others. As noted above, The Guide is presented in exactly the same order as the votable items; you can print it out and use it as ‘a pre-planner’.

Why do you specify BR running numbers? Does this mean we can’t express a Pre-Grouping wish?

The addition of BR running numbers was made some years ago at the request of voters and we have had notes of appreciation for that. They are there simply to assist identification. It is impossible for us to take into account the vast array of variations within classes over the years.

The manufacturers will ‘get as much as they can’ from any model via the use of slip tools and so on. It seems to make commercial sense for them to produce models which span a number of decades and which appeal to a wide audience.

Do you say if kits are available?

We found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to keep that information up to date, so we haven’t since 2018. However, you will find a link in each category to take you to kit makers and other suppliers. This is – after all – a Poll for ready-to-run items!

Can voters vote for livery options?

We investigated the possibility, but the subject is so vast that it is impractical for us. However, companies such as Kernow, Oxford Rail and RevolutioN Trains announce models and seek customer views on liveries.

Is there any limit to what voters can vote for?

You can vote for whatever you would realistically wish to buy at any time in the future. Please note that The Team reserves the right to delete without query any entry that it feels is not based on that premise. Please note: Only one entry per voter is permitted.

Do you ask voters for email addresses to enter The Poll?

No. Entry in The 00 Poll will not generate any email correspondence whatsoever. We will only contact you in response to valid queries as below.

Can voters print out what they have voted for?

Yes, but please note that you will get the entire list including what you haven’t voted for. We’re sorry but we are unable to change that. A way round is to ‘pre-plan’ your voting:

·          Go to The Guide

·          Print out the summaries of the categories you want to vote in

·          Highlight the items you want to vote for

·          Use this to help ensure you don’t miss anything when you actually vote.

What if voters have any technical difficulties while voting?

Please email Andy York: info@rmweb.co.uk.

What if voters have: difficulty accessing The Guide; have comments on it; have any suggestions for 2020; or need impartial help or advice?

Please email The 00 Poll Team: thepollteam@gmail.com. An acknowledgment will normally be sent within 24 hours, but a full answer might take a few days. We will also answer queries on RMweb.

When will the results be published?

We aim to publish the results by early November. Many printed magazines will carry an abridged summary.

Does The Poll Team expect ‘the top items’ to be made?

We would ask voters to appreciate that manufacturers lay plans anything up to three years or more in advance and have to continually balance requests against their current models and proposed portfolios – as well as those of their competitors. To us, it’s a hobby; to them, it’s a commercial decision.

We make no claim that models have been or will be made specifically as a result of The Poll. The makers and commissioners certainly take other market research data into account and do not rely on our results alone. New announcements have been fairly slow in coming, but you may find it interesting to see how those 00 models announced since the 2018 Poll fared up to early October 2019 below – notice the bias towards the upper half of The Poll content.

·          3           Top 50                       

·          6           High Polling (exc Top 50)                                   

·          6           Middle Polling (and two of these were higher than the overall half-way mark)

·          3           Low Polling

We hope you enjoy taking part in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019! We are hoping to get a record number of voters this year, but we can’t do that without your help. Please drop an email about The Poll to your friends – they might vote for the items you want! Thanks!

The Poll Team

Neil Burgess, Robert Carroll, Chris Knowles-Thomas, John Lewis, Jeff Lynn, Brian Macdermott, Nick Stanbury, Ian Taylor and Glen Woods

Link to OO Wishlist Poll 2019

2. Poll A4 Poster 2019.pdf3. Poll A5 Mini-poster 2019.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Accurascale on the announcement of the JSA/VTG Steel Carriers - we wish them every success with the project. 

The announcement comes too late for us to delete from The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 I'm sorry to say. We will log the item with our results for the forthcoming  year. They were Middle Polling in the Results 2018.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Thanks 1

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Paul

I am querying with Andy as to what has happened to The Guide. Bear with me.

As noted in the Advance Notice below:

Extract

Additionally – in response to requests – we have moved the ‘cut-off date’ to 1 January 2005 but please bear in mind that many items now listed will be ‘perfectly adequate’ in current model form and you should only vote if you would realistically wish to buy ‘an improved model’.

2. Locos: SR & Constituents

The following are new entries this year (because they now fall within our 1 January 2005 cut-off):

·       SR Q1 0-6-0 (33001-33040)

·       SR West Country/Battle of Britain 4-6-2 – Air Smooth (34001-34110)

·       SR Merchant Navy 4-6-2 – Rebuilt (35001-35030)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Fenman said:

I’m almost certainly being thick, but I can’t find a link to the Guide?

(I’m curious why the Q1 is listed when there’s already a delightful super-detail model available which is regularly re-run.)

Paul

The links are now added, they hadn't copied across in Brian's OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Brian, there doesn't seem to be a category for PO/LMS/LNER hopper wagons for iron ore - such as LMS diagrams D1669 or D1893/4 or the various PO types. Also the Dapol/Bachmann Charles Roberts/BR 24T iron ore hopper is very dimensionally challenged. This kind of leads on to a more general comment. There doesn't seem to be anywhere where you can add omissions to the list (or did I miss it?). 

The reason I mention specifically the hopper wagons is twofold. Firstly, there are a number of existing prototypes (particularly the LMS ones) at the Rutland Railway museum and secondly, if manufactured accurately, they would sell in numbers as part of a hopper rake so commonly seen in the 1950s. They are very time consuming to scratch build (although I'm prepared to go down that road if needs must (already have one completed))

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Brian, there doesn't seem to be a category for PO/LMS/LNER hopper wagons for iron ore - such as LMS diagrams D1669 or D1893/4 or the various PO types. Also the Dapol/Bachmann Charles Roberts/BR 24T iron ore hopper is very dimensionally challenged. This kind of leads on to a more general comment. There doesn't seem to be anywhere where you can add omissions to the list (or did I miss it?). 

The reason I mention specifically the hopper wagons is twofold. Firstly, there are a number of existing prototypes (particularly the LMS ones) at the Rutland Railway museum and secondly, if manufactured accurately, they would sell in numbers as part of a hopper rake so commonly seen in the 1950s. They are very time consuming to scratch build (although I'm prepared to go down that road if needs must (already have one completed))

Hello Clem

Good to hear from you. Can I refer you to the extract from the Advance Notice below,  please?

Can we still add any items for 2019?

It’s too late for 2019 but you are welcome to suggest items for 2020 – after we ‘go live’ please – either on RMweb or directly to The 00 Poll Team at the email address below.

To be considered, your individual suggestions must follow the style of The Guide:

·       A clear heading

·       About 200 words of explanatory text

·       One or two links

We’re sorry if this sounds a tad over-bearing but The Poll is running very close to ‘maximum permitted load’. The 2018 new entries panned out as:

·       0             Top 50

·       16           High Polling

·       23           Middle Polling

·       50           Low Polling (with 25 in the overall bottom 50)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Why no Adams LSWR T1 0-4-4T ?

Hello JohnR

I can't give you a specific answer other than to say that there is potential for 30,000+ items that could be listed in The Poll. Your Poll Team has run this since 2012 and I can't recall having had a suggestion for this loco.

If you would like to suggest it in accordance with the details in the posting immediately above, it will certainly go on The 2020 Agenda.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, A Murphy said:

Could I suggest a GWR Armstrong/Standard 0-6-0 goods and a GCR J10.

Thanks Alastair M

Thanks Alistair

Could you have a look at the details in the posting to Clem above as to how make suggestions?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hello Alistair

It was in the Q&A OP...relevant section repeated below. Look forward to hearing from you.

What if voters have: difficulty accessing The Guide; have comments on it; have any suggestions for 2020; or need impartial help or advice?

Please email The 00 Poll Team: thepollteam@gmail.com. An acknowledgment will normally be sent within 24 hours, but a full answer might take a few days. We will also answer queries on RMweb.

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Paul

I am querying with Andy as to what has happened to The Guide. Bear with me.

As noted in the Advance Notice below:

Extract

Additionally – in response to requests – we have moved the ‘cut-off date’ to 1 January 2005 but please bear in mind that many items now listed will be ‘perfectly adequate’ in current model form and you should only vote if you would realistically wish to buy ‘an improved model’.

2. Locos: SR & Constituents

The following are new entries this year (because they now fall within our 1 January 2005 cut-off):

·       SR Q1 0-6-0 (33001-33040)

·       SR West Country/Battle of Britain 4-6-2 – Air Smooth (34001-34110)

·       SR Merchant Navy 4-6-2 – Rebuilt (35001-35030)

First, good luck with, and best wishes to, your mother-in-law.

Second, "yes" that extract re the Q1, WC/BoB and Merchant Navy is well written and very sensible.  Why "waste" production design and production slots if the end result would be so similar.

Anyway, my votes are done so you may close the vote now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all your hard work in getting this wishlist up and running once more. I have made my choices!

I was amazed by the sheer numbers and variety of items that have been listed.

One thing that has perplexed and disappointed me, however, is the absence of industrial types. Given the extremely high popularity of recent Hornby, Hattons and Oxford releases, I am very surprised that there is no 'Industrial' sub-section to the wish list.

As such, I have ticked all the cute little 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 types I could find, when I made my choices, even LNER stuff.

• Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1