Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

On 14/10/2019 at 12:13, BMacdermott said:

Hello Martin

These are the specifics (vote count given first to put items in context):

From Top 50

338 - Class 91

270 - GT3

244 - SECR Van (Rails)

High Polling

217 - NER J27

212 - Mk4 Stock

198 - Mk5 Stock

183 - Mk5a Stock

182 - Princess 4-6-2

158 - Bulleid 59ft Stock

Middle Polling

136 - Plasser & Theurer Twin Jib Crane

127 - LMS Brake Van

126 - GWR Railcar No.17

125 - Tippler Wagon - British Steel etc

115 - Hopper - Coal - JMA

110 - Covered Steel -  JSA

Low Polling

106 - Container Flat - PFA

102 - Diesel Shunters - 12033-12138

91 - PWM 651-4 (12.50pm - edited to correct running numbers as PWM 650 is not being made)

Brian (on  behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

I see that no one has mentioned that our class 91 is well under way and is now open for pre order and the Mk4 set due to follow shortly?

909433014_91-1PreorderRender5.png.ecee5f3d3652ec0197d5bfddf98174fc.png1563918182_91-0PreorderRender4.png.f716165bd56576b2689a8888b1486201.png

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello RBE

Thanks for writing.

The 00 Poll Team was a tad uncertain about de-listing your Class 91 and Mk4 coaches right up to our close for press deadline as we weren't sure for a while that the project was 'a definite runner' or 'a runner subject to orders'. We had a similar situation with KR Models GT3. And we have had very similar decisions as to when is a crowd-funded project a 'sure starter' or 'expressions of interest'.

As you are probably aware, The 00 Team does its utmost to congratulate makers on announcements but we found ourselves between a rock and a hard place of what to do until the very last moment - and I did reference that fact in my posting of 24 March in our thread: Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018.

We wish you every success with the project. As you can see from the results that you copied over, they were way up high.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 2

On 17/10/2019 at 18:40, Big James said:

Just finished filling out the form. I honestly really look forward to the wish list as it shows how much of a broad church we really have. Wonder where the U class will

come though as it’s the only large class of SR locomotive that hasn’t been done. Everything is under 20 class members. 

big james 

Errrrrr ........

E Class  =  26

D1 Class  =  21

Q Class  =  20

L Class  =  21

AND, of course, hundreds of EMUs.

43 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Errrrrr ........

E Class  =  26

D1 Class  =  21

Q Class  =  20

L Class  =  21

AND, of course, hundreds of EMUs

I was actually meant to true SR designs other then Q class the ones you quoted was SECR designs. And the Q class numbered only 20 so was outnumbered by the C & Q1 class not to mention the the 700 and C2. I quoted the U class as it was designed by the SR and wasn’t inherited. But I’ll give you the EMU’s but how many actually got everywhere like the U-boats did. 

big james 

Edited by Big James
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/10/2019 at 18:40, Big James said:

Wonder where the U class will come though as it’s the only large class of SR locomotive that hasn’t been done. Everything is under 20 class members. 

54 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

E Class  =  26

D1 Class  =  21

Q Class  =  20

L Class  =  21

AND, of course, hundreds of EMUs.

Well, perhaps he meant 30. Or perhaps he meant, built by the Southern. If you're including locomotives built by Southern constituents - as is only appropriate, since owing to electrification, they far outnumbered post-grouping engines, even by Nationalisation, then of classes not represented in RTR form, one has at least:

Adams 395 70 built, 20 to SR, 18 to BR

Adams A12 90 built, all to SR, 4 to BR (just)

Billinton C2 / C2X 55 built, all to SR, 48 to BR

Stroudley D (D1) / D1X 125 built, 84 to SR, 17 to BR

Stirling F 88 built, 12 to SR, none to BR; F1 76 rebuilt, 75 to SR, 9 to BR

Stirling O 122 built, O1 59 rebuilt, 87 to SR, 55 to BR

Stirling Q 118 built, 32 to SR, none to BR; Q1 55 rebuilt, 46 to SR, none to BR

I think that's all the classes with over 50 members built and passed to SR.

Enthusiasts for the work of the Dugald the Great are hampered by his incremental approach to express passenger locomotive design; at least his two most numerous designs have been done RTR, along with his 0-6-0, albeit in rebuilt form only.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, perhaps he meant 30. Or perhaps he meant, built by the Southern. If you're including locomotives built by Southern constituents - as is only appropriate, since owing to electrification, they far outnumbered post-grouping engines, even by Nationalisation, then of classes not represented in RTR form, one has at least

That’s what I did mean. I wasn’t counting inherited designs. Because my personal favourite to pick to be modelled would be the L1 design. It was long lived and had multiple liveries. But it only numbered 15. The reason I singled out the U, was that it was long lived, had multiple liveries and had several notable differences between batches. They also got everywhere hence the nicknames U-boats so every SR layout has an excuse for one. 

big james 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello RBE

Thanks for writing.

The 00 Poll Team was a tad uncertain about de-listing your Class 91 and Mk4 coaches right up to our close for press deadline as we weren't sure for a while that the project was 'a definite runner' or 'a runner subject to orders'. We had a similar situation with KR Models GT3. And we have had very similar decisions as to when is a crowd-funded project a 'sure starter' or 'expressions of interest'.

As you are probably aware, The 00 Team does its utmost to congratulate makers on announcements but we found ourselves between a rock and a hard place of what to do until the very last moment - and I did reference that fact in my posting of 24 March in our thread: Results - The Wishlist Poll 2018.

We wish you every success with the project. As you can see from the results that you copied over, they were way up high.

Thanks Brian,

I understand your logic however not mentioning our model despite its 'runner subject to orders' status leads the public reading this thread to believe that there is not class 91 or Mk4s in the pipeline. Since we have been in this business it has become painfully clear that getting the word out to the masses despite posting news and threads all over the place in the media both social and printed is incredibly difficult. Polls such as this are a great place for those not in the know to realise that a model that they have wanted for a while is in fact available to order. Being 'subject to orders' isn't a problem for anyone if those orders get placed. Keeping people in the dark about its existence makes it more likely that such a model doesn't do well and as such fails to get produced.

As a small news update our class 91 is doing very well for orders so far but as with everything more would still be better. If anyone reading this voted for a class 91 and hasn't ordered one of ours please visit out website or drop us an email or PM and see if what we are offering fits your bill.

Regards

Cav

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just submitted my votes, not actually that many which I suppose shows how well served we are nowadays. However, could we please adopt the Eurovision system, so that I can score 12 for the Class 120 DMU - Surely it can't be far away now ?!!!

Anyway, many thanks to the team for organising the Poll, and to Brian for his prompt and informative replies to queries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1whitemoor said:

No prototypical Iron Ore hoppers of the wooden or steel variety - oh well never mind. The 13ton coal would apply but Peco are bringing a kit out shortly. 

Nothing for me to vote for this year sadly. 

Paul A. 

Hello Paul

Thanks for writing. We don't list the current Ore Hopper model as that was made by Dapol in 2005 (and is therefore outside our cut-off date).

We list Tippler Wagon - Slope-sided 16-ton Stewarts & Lloyds (1939) under Category 16 Freight Stock: 1923-1947.

As mentioned in the Advance Notice thread, we are happy to accept suggestions but request that they be made in The Guide format:

* a clear heading, with an idea of the relevant Diagram Numbers;

* about 200 words of text;

* and a couple of links. 

Note to all: Despite there having been a number of new listing requests and I have replied similarly to above, we have yet to receive any in the requested format. If they are not in the format, they are unlikley to be considered. (That does not affect the Class 172 as we are looking into some relevant matters there.)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

We don't list the current Ore Hopper model as that was made by Dapol in 2005 (and is therefore outside our cut-off date).

We list Tippler Wagon - Slope-sided 16-ton Stewarts & Lloyds (1939) under Category 16 Freight Stock: 1923-1947.

Thanks for the response Brian. For your interest S&L (and latterly BSC) used 16-ton slope sided minerals for coal only, not ore. 

The Dapol model of a Charles Roberts hopper actually uses a much older pre-2000's Mainline tooling, so happily can be included:

BR Diagram 1/161, 1/162 22-24 ton capacity Iron Ore hopper wagon Built by Charles Roberts, Cambrian, Cravens and Birmingham RC&W. 

Totaling around 4,000 vehicles constructed between the years of 1940 until late 1950's. Predominantly built for the private owner market before adoption by British Railways, minor detail differences exist between the diagrams and within them, though these are not significant and typically surround axle guards, boxes and minor sole bar fittings. These could be seen running in their intended flows from as low down as Oxfordshire up to the North East of England. A wagon difficult for a 1950-1970 East Midlands LMS/NE layout to overlook. They ran in block trains or assorted with other hopper wagons of varying types and their lives were further extended being used for sand and limestone and beyond the 1970's by adoption into industrial internal user fleets etc. One example was also used on the Isle of Wight for PW work before scrapping. Liveries include ornate private owner lettering, BR grey and PW/internal user. 9' Wheel base with a length of 16' 6'' over headstocks.

Only one example is preserved by the National Railway Museum currently on long term loan at Rocks by Rail Cottesmore which is B436275

Please see here for photograph: http://www.rocks-by-rail.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/NRM-support-lge.jpg

Please see here for further photographs: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brironorehoppersmall

Paul A. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul

Many thanks for the notes. Please give me a few days to look into this as I am temporarily chasing my tail on a family matter which is taking me away from the computer.

I can say that the Dapol model is listed as new tooling in 2005 in the Pat Hammond Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

I can say that the Dapol model is listed as new tooling in 2005 in the Pat Hammond Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

Thanks Brian.

It may well have been a new tooling for Dapol but in reality the model is the same tooling as Mainline plonked on a spurious 10' 0'' / 17' 6'' chassis.

The same goes for the Bachmann rendition which they happily corrected for the N gauge Graham Farish version which was released several years ago. Clearly Bachmann have done the homework for this model for their N gauge one, now I would suggest is the time to release it in 4mm as it would undoubtedly sell well. 

Paul A. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2019 at 20:21, centraltrains said:

No class 172?! 

Hello again centraltrains

As promised, The 00 Team has been looking into this matter since my 'holding response'.

Although we can't - with the best will in the world - give you a specific reason for the non-listing, we believe that this may date back to c.2011/2012 when we were tasked with 'rationalising' the Poll content and it all rather depends on how we saw things then. We were dealing with over 1400 items placed against a potential listing of over 30,000 items.

There are many locos, coaches, wagons, EMUs, DMUs etc that share 'family likenesses' and we often have to list items combined. We often have to take a view that if one family member has been made it might follow that the others get made in due course (or not!).

The upshot is that we believe there is a case for the Class 172 to be considered on the Agenda and we will do that without any further notes as we have some of our own.

And that brings me onto the subject of 'notes with suggestions'...

Can I make a small clarification?

If a pollster suggests something like an LNER A4, BR Clan Pacific or Drummond's Bug - in other words, something very clear and unambiguous - we wouldn't expect to receive notes and links etc.

It is where someone says "Why not list Ore Wagons" that we need to fully understand where they are coming from. We could work our keyboard fingers to the bone in listing every known 'ore wagon' only to be told "Ah, but you haven't listed the one that I was really meaning". (Paul, above, has shown a good example of how to avoid any confusion and our thanks have gone to him for that.)

We work on the basis that our 'core list' has been there for many years and evidence shows that many 'new entries' end up towards the bottom of the results - so, we need to take care with new listings lest we simply 'gum up the works'.

We are always happy to help. A quick email to us at The Poll Team email address setting out your general ideas will be met with suggestions of how best to proceed. We don't bite! All you need to do is ask.:)

thepollteam(at)gmail.com

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 10:58, BMacdermott said:

For this year, we decided to drop Industrial and Underground to concentrate on 'core content' of BR, its predecessors and successors. We had discussions with a number of RMwebbers about the deletion of Industrial and we spoke with the London Underground Railway Society (LURS) about Underground.

Thanks Brian for running the poll, it's appreciated by us all! Re the above, is there a place on this forum to discuss London Underground models, and what did LURS say about the above? Do you know if they are leading efforts to get more London Underground locos out there? I ask as I'm desperate for a Metropolitan E Class and I'm sure there are others out there who'd like to see it too (has it ever polled well btw?).

Thanks very much, David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello David

Many thanks for the comments which are much appreciated.

The Metropolitan E Class was in The Top 50 in 2014; was High Polling in 2015; and went back into The Top 50 for both 2016 and 2018. (The Poll didn't run in 2017.)

We have spoken with LURS - they have a 'Modelling Officer' - and have offered our Guide notes 'free, gratis and for nothing' with an offer to assist in as helpful a way as possible if any 'Undergrounders' wanted to set up their own Poll, but nothing has materialised that we are aware of.

May I suggest you contact LURS direct? Their link is: http://www.lurs.org.uk/index.htm . If you don't get any joy there, I will happily put you in direct contact with the Modelling Officer. The magazine editor is also interested, I believe.

If you search the home page of RMweb, I feel sure there is a dedicated forum for Underground.

I hope that helps.

Edited by BMacdermott
Missing word added.
  • Like 1

I wish for the London Underground

Vivarail Class 230

or

D78

LU stock seems to have passed many by perhaps because of it's troglodytic nature but the D78 rattled about on surface lines and offering it in Vivarail form makes a deal of sense for those operating the modellers standard short line aka Branch Line Terminus using the My Line rule.

Some may think that EMU's have appeared too often, but I feel there is something about the D78 that sets it apart from the usual EMU fodder.

I commend this wish to the house

• Like 1