Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Q&A - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

20 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

.........    With the 'new style' of the voting pages, I have been able to follow votes literally as they happen. This has enabled me to prepare 'dummy results' as if we had closed at various points over the last three weeks and they are consistent.

Brian

IF ONLY there was a way to make money from "insider dealing" !   (Maybe you can get an online betting company interested.)

Thanks for running the poll, and good luck with all the moans ( probably including one from me, unless the 4-COR is in the top 5 ! )  after you announce the results, it really is appreciated.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil

We always get one or two will exclaim such as: "The LSDCRR Ventilated Donut Van got 30 more votes than last year - it must be a fiddle!"

There are numerous reasons why individual votes will fluctuate - to a modest degree - and I will allude to all those factors when we publish the results.

We put more store by whether items stay in High, Medium or Low over the years...and there is clear consistency.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

We put more store by whether items stay in High, Medium or Low over the years...and there is clear consistency.

(Eyes shut, wishing hard) U class please, with a cherry on top :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the message regarding the catenary. Whilst I accept that there is quite a bit of variety on the West Coast in terms of masts, its no different to the complexities of any other railway locomotive in terms of the differences between one and another, for example the buffer configuration on 90037 in RfD isnt the same as 90042 Powerhaul - this could equally be compared to the variable gantry form from those multi-track sections on sections of three, four or five tracks between major stations (like those found on the South Stafford to Lichfield section, like the below:

https://images.app.goo.gl/TMgkBe9n5q5ryQFQ7

for example) or in depot areas like Crewe or Wembley, in addition to this - there are the multi-track gantries seen north of Crewe and also on the ECML and GEML

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZZxgSg6VspVQNn3Y8

There is a growing movement for the advancement of electric traction in OO Gauge from Hornby's new tooling of the Class 87, the recently arrived Bachmann Class 90, Heljan's forthcoming Class 86, Cavalex's Class 91 and Accurascales' Class 92. There is also the emergence of the various EMUs on the market, the established Bachmann Desiro, not to mention the mainstream Hornby Pendelino and the Javelin and then the recently arrived IEP (which, ok, it can run without overhead power) so all these new electric offerings should have appropriate infrastructure to help depict their prototypical landscape, aside from the single mast gantries on offer from PECO and Dapol so far.

If the Europeans can have models made fit for their electric trains, why can't we ?

Kind Regards

Kat 

Johnson Street IEMD

• RMweb Gold

Hello Kat

Thanks for writing.

If there isn't one already, why not consider starting your own thread about catenary? That would be an ideal place to discuss different types and perhaps narrow the field.

As noted, this Poll Team is concentrating on 'core content'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 03/11/2019 at 20:48, DBC90024 said:

Thank you for the message regarding the catenary. Whilst I accept that there is quite a bit of variety on the West Coast in terms of masts, its no different to the complexities of any other railway locomotive in terms of the differences between one and another, for example the buffer configuration on 90037 in RfD isnt the same as 90042 Powerhaul - this could equally be compared to the variable gantry form from those multi-track sections on sections of three, four or five tracks between major stations

I think you have in a way proven the poll teams point with this.

While I am sure you are correct about the detail differences between those two locos, the poll doesn't get into that sort of detail.  If Bachmann hadn't released their new Class 90 all the poll would list would be a "generic" Class 90.

It really isn't in the scope of a poll like this to get into the intricate specifics of an item.

Which isn't to say, as has been suggested to those whose items have been dropped from the poll, that you (or someone else, or a group of people) can't put in the effort and create your own poll - though see my response below.

On 03/11/2019 at 20:48, DBC90024 said:

There is a growing movement for the advancement of electric traction in OO Gauge from Hornby's new tooling of the Class 87, the recently arrived Bachmann Class 90, Heljan's forthcoming Class 86, Cavalex's Class 91 and Accurascales' Class 92. There is also the emergence of the various EMUs on the market, the established Bachmann Desiro, not to mention the mainstream Hornby Pendelino and the Javelin and then the recently arrived IEP (which, ok, it can run without overhead power) so all these new electric offerings should have appropriate infrastructure to help depict their prototypical landscape, aside from the single mast gantries on offer from PECO and Dapol so far.

Should there be appropriate stuff?  Yes, with the caveat that the market is big enough - and in part that means those who want these items need to help and try and create the market.

I suspect for many people who may be interested in overhead based layouts the first problem is educating oneself on what everything is, and how to then apply that knowledge to a planned or existing layout.

So the first steps (and I am not judging, some of this may already be happening) is to get the information out there by answering questions on forums, providing examples of how certain track layouts would be dealt with, perhaps creating a wiki type page somewhere.  If there are enough interested with the current knowledge then perhaps create a little "contest" amongst at least 5 people to design a smallish layout that could be interesting to build and operate, and as part of the design show how the overhead should be done (even if at the moment that means scratchbuilding).

Perhaps approach the various magazines about doing a series of short articles on overhead?  They may decide it's too niche, but they may also feel it is worth an experiment.

If overhead enthusiasts can show there is a market for the products you want, you stand a better chance of someone being willing to spend the money on tooling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, mdvle said:

I think you have in a way proven the poll teams point with this.

While I am sure you are correct about the detail differences between those two locos, the poll doesn't get into that sort of detail.  If Bachmann hadn't released their new Class 90 all the poll would list would be a "generic" Class 90.

It really isn't in the scope of a poll like this to get into the intricate specifics of an item.

Hello mdvle

Thanks for this and it partly says what I would have said a day or so ago but ran out of time.

We do our best to reflect outline differences in classes - such as B16/1, B16/2, B16/3 and D49/1 and D49/2 etc - but that's about as far as we can go. If we really went into detail we would have a separate listing for S&D 7F No,53807, which had a unique smoke-box saddle after rebuilding. Merl Evans told me it would be a massive cost to tool up for that one loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just to let you know that this thread will be 'locked off' very shortly.

We are aiming to publish The Results tomorrow (Friday 8 November) under the title:

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic