Motorised GWR Junction Semaphore Signal - How to?

I would like to install a GWR junction signal but (unless you guys know better) there do not seem to be any ready motorised units on the market. So my question is what make is easiest to to motorise and are there any hints on how to do this?  I am using 00 scale.

Thanks for any ideas.

John

Edited by JST

Hi again,

I actually know Lizant quite well, since when we lived in France our son went to school there! In fact we still have a property in the area.

Signals: Depends a lot on your budget and how fastidious you are. If you are OK with plastic then Ratio do a limited range of pre-built single post signals, not electircally operated. Dapol of course do some but you may feel they are not quite "right" and would need some modification. Not sure on the availability of the bracket signals, but again the choice is limited. Alternatively you could go for a metal bespoke version to your own specification but of course they cost more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Plus of course there is the range of signal parts at MSE now being sold by Wizard models: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/product-category/signals/ 

It would then be a case of adding servos underneath, or indeed the old fashioned Ratio system with wires and a lever etc.

Richard at Buckingham West has used servos and electronic circuitry to power it all from MERG  https://www.merg.org.uk

Hope that helps

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered two working GWR square post stop signals from Andrew at Wizard on Wednesday afternoon, they arrived today. I also need a split stop signal but Andrew advised I should not attempt to bodge one of his pre-assembled one and instead gave me a list of parts needed to construct one from his range. Albeit a fiddly job, I am sure it is do-able for me but I fear the linkage necessary to operated the minor route's arm.
As an aside, one of the pre-built signals has a black band and a white AWS diamond, the other does not so when would these diamonds have been installed (indicating AWS rather than ATC I believe) given my era is 1930?

13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A white diamond indicates that the signal is protectedby track circuits.

Not so - nothing to do with 'protecting the signal' at all. In any case, why would you want to 'protect' a signal? - it's (usually) a train or some obstruction of the line which needs protection.

The provision of a white diamond (actually a hexagon in a 'lozenge' shape) indicates to the crew of a train held at that signal that they are exempt from certain parts of Rule 55 under certain circumstances. These /may/ include the provision of a track-circuit in rear of that signal. but might also be 'cos of the provision of a treadle, a depression bar or some other form of 'reminder device'.

Edited by RailWest
  • Agree 1

I find servo operation best for signals as ou can adjust speed and travel to suit. This is a similar signal made from MSE components. it is upper quadrant, but the principal is the same. The servo mechanisms (on another signal) are shown in the other photo.They are driven using MERG circuits, interlocking by JMRI,

DSC_4969mod.jpg

DSC_5822mod.jpg

• Like 1