The BRM Christmas 2019 layout project

Howard Smith

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh lor....  Christmas?

He's got less than a week to finish it for the pre-Xmas issue! I think it will be called 'Much Cussing in the Maltings'.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh lor....  Christmas?

16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Erm. They've got Christmas train sets in the shops.  :P

https://www.xmasclock.com/

Currently 74 days and counting.....

15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

He's got less than a week to finish it for the pre-Xmas issue! I think it will be called 'Much Cussing in the Maltings'.

For some people building layouts, I could imagine it being called "Much Cussing with a Bottle of Single Malt". Anyway, that's more than enough about soft drinks.

Joking aside, I was wondering about publication / print deadlines. Presumably, the expectation is for this issue to be ready for sale in time for "Warley" - hopefully at "Warley" - to provide some suitably timed inspiration for any people, new to the hobby, who visit the show.

Edit:. In case anyone's wondering about my reference to "for sale" ... "at Warley", I haven't gone completely mad. The vast majority of people who post on this site have a pretty good idea what to expect from BRM - but this might not necessarily be the case for people whose only previous taste of our hobby comes from watching one episode of GMRC. I can't see many of these people taking kindly to suggestions of instantly taking out subscriptions to a magazine they might not even have been aware of before this, their first visit to a model railway show.

Anyway, returning to the layout, I'd be even more interested in seeing what Howard (or the rest of the team, for that matter) might achieve in 3 days, with a 3 section MDF baseboard kit, 10 feet by 5 feet - to a crazy theme, with a tight budget and a requirement to form appropriate model trains from a desperate disparate selection of mismatched locos and stock.

Still, with this being a "festive" layout, I'd expect the track to be to a gauge of 16.5 mm (that's right - 1:87 scale - so no prizes for guessing what that's called ...).

Now, where did I put that "festive" pack of mints - sorry, "bah, humbugs"?

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Funny 1