Accurascale and the 'B' word

I know of UK companies opening branches in Ireland and elsewhere to cope like this.

I wonder how this works if no-deal happens, and someone on the continent orders a Deltic? Today if someone from the US orders one, it is VAT free. Now would the same happen here buying an item in Peterborough ? granted there would probably be import duties as soon as it crossed the chanel.

Or would continental based people order directly from the Irish branch? 

I understand that there may not be a clear answer to that right now. My firm is wondering whether or not it can still send and store EU data to London based servers if no deal happens as technically under GDPR rules we would not be allowed to. But in practice, we really still do not know.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I know of UK companies opening branches in Ireland and elsewhere to cope like this.

I wonder how this works if no-deal happens, and someone on the continent orders a Deltic? Today if someone from the US orders one, it is VAT free. Now would the same happen here buying an item in Peterborough ? granted there would probably be import duties as soon as it crossed the chanel.

I understand that there may not be a clear answer to that right now. My firm is wondering whether or not it can still send and store EU data to London based servers if no deal happens as technically under GDPR rules we would not be allowed to. But in practice, we really still do not know.

Hi John,

All our Accurascale stock will be dispatched from Peterborough and already is doing so. As I said in the video Accurascale has been registered as a British company so there is no issue there. We may not have to use such mechanisms of course as you say as nobody knows what is going to occur yet. We are explaining how we are working to prepare for October 31st to ensure our customers receive no disruption to service. That’s the most important aspect here. We have been advised legally and the Irish government services have also been fantastic help in advising us how to go about preparing for all eventualities.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I

As I understand it, at some stage after the UK leaves either with or without a deal, the EU VAT rules will end.  You will or should at least then be able to purchase models VAT free from the UK, but on arrival in France, the authorities can, and probably will, impose French VAT on your purchase, which will be collected on delivery with a pretty substantial handling fee.  Green customs stickers will be required showing the nature of the goods and their value - which will form the basis of your French VAT bill.  No duties apply however since toys are duty free under WTO rules.   In that scenario it would make sense to receive your models VAT paid from Ireland if that is an option. 

• Like 1

Well done for that, next time I'm in Dublin need to buy a pint in JW Sweetman for you.  (Nice micro brewer for those  who have never been to Dublin.)

At least some IRM models will be shipped from GB.

Sounds like a sensible and workable solution to me!

I wish I had the ability to ensure my own very small business can weather the tide so well.

I really like the point that our hobby is escapism from a rather sour real world at the moment, how I wish I could wake up and find it was all just a bad dream.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...