JSA, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 33052 said:

Hello Fran,just an idea,seeing as you will have a Large Volumn of Products coming to Market this year,and there are some exeptional Modellers around and on here,have you considered a 'Bargain Basement' section on your website where Rejects,Damaged Returns,and Faulty Items could be offered for sale,sold as seen  ?  tia Paul.

Hi Paul,

In time it might happen as our range does grow, but at the moment we actually have very few returns overall. Maybe it's something we can do at shows or something when they open up again. Certainly one to consider!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 07:33, McC said:

To be fair to our warehouse team there is little point in putting deflated bubbles in a parcel :) drop support a line and they can show you the CCTV snap we take of every single outbound package before it’s sealed. 

To be fair to the warehouse team, they have improved their packaging skills. The air pockets are a big improvement on previously putting a piece of folded brown paper in the box!

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Trouble is that today's "seconds/rejects" from the manufacturer then become tomorrow's bargains on e-bay sold as genuine it's with no reference to seconds/rejects.  Unfortunately, by the time the product has gone through e-bay/amazon market place or other auction site, the end buyer doesn't see a 'reject' and it's inevitably the reputation of the manufacturer that takes a hit for sub-standard goods. That's why fashion labels and other manufacturer's insist that seconds/rejects are physically destroyed (they still make it to market via the backdoor of factories) or marked in such a way as being obvious.  

Surely a label on the box with the fault on that item or just mention to it being sold as a second like another company with blue boxes does with their returns stand at exhibitions should suffice?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

(if you are squeamish look away now!) 

1930614999_smashedJSA.JPG.8cad381b12e29da228fd60c986bf59fe.JPG

Fran,

My morbid curiosity would love to see the wagons inside and potential damage having seen the outer packaging, that would be one unboxing video I’m sure many would be keen to see!  :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Surely a label on the box with the fault on that item or just mention to it being sold as a second like another company with blue boxes does with their returns stand at exhibitions should suffice?

For sale: excellent wagon / coach / loco, sorry, original box misplaced.

• Agree 1

Just spent a little time attaching a buffer, x3 handrails and part of a bogie detail.  These are very nice wagons, but in my mind these details are too fine.  The problem is when I decide to take these off the layout and possibly put another train on there is a real risk that bits will fall off and be lost. 
To my mind all these bits that I glued on to the wagon, should be made a little thicker and be part of the wagon moulding and not attached as a separate parts attached at the factory.  

433A91D7-C429-4014-AC27-28B7F18FC3AB.jpeg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Just spent a little time attaching a buffer, x3 handrails and part of a bogie detail.  These are very nice wagons, but in my mind these details are too fine.  The problem is when I decide to take these off the layout and possibly put another train on there is a real risk that bits will fall off and be lost. 
To my mind all these bits that I glued on to the wagon, should be made a little thicker and be part of the wagon moulding and not attached as a separate parts attached at the factory.  

A retrograde step in my opinion, it is the detail that makes them so good.

Not had any parts fall from any of my Accurascale wagons - HUOs and PCVs which also have fine details. 

Roy

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello everyone,

I would agree with what Roy says, as a kid in the 80’s when all we had were plastic moulded wagons and chunky parts compared to the fine separate parts and amazing detail offered today I certainly wouldn’t want to go back. 

We should all be happy and appreciate the amount of effort being put in by the manufactures today pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved. I accept that this will inevitably create a few loose bits after they have travelled thousands of miles and then more likely the final journey where the odd issue arises. 

The bit I don’t get is why come on a forum and moan when politely contacting the retailer or manufacture will get your issue resolved. I know Fran, Patrick and Stephen are great friendly guys who are always happy to help and we’ve all seen how often they post on here, late at night and weekends to keep everyone happy which is way above what anyone would expect.

As a birthday treat I’ve added a pair of VTG silver hoods for a mixed steel train and the number of seperate details is very well done. 

keep up the good work guys.

thanks

Mark

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to applaud the level of detail on our models.  Accurascale are offering us superb renditions of popular stock at affordable prices.  If we have to fix small items that come loose in transit, this is a small price to pay.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hello everyone,

I would agree with what Roy says, as a kid in the 80’s when all we had were plastic moulded wagons and chunky parts compared to the fine separate parts and amazing detail offered today I certainly wouldn’t want to go back. 

We should all be happy and appreciate the amount of effort being put in by the manufactures today pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved. I accept that this will inevitably create a few loose bits after they have travelled thousands of miles and then more likely the final journey where the odd issue arises. 

The bit I don’t get is why come on a forum and moan when politely contacting the retailer or manufacture will get your issue resolved. I know Fran, Patrick and Stephen are great friendly guys who are always happy to help and we’ve all seen how often they post on here, late at night and weekends to keep everyone happy which is way above what anyone would expect.

As a birthday treat I’ve added a pair of VTG silver hoods for a mixed steel train and the number of seperate details is very well done. 

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I agree with your first two paragraphs. 

I too like some of the posters, have had issues with my open JSA wagons. Mine arrived with the guard rails and a buffer all lieing in the centre of the wagons. The box was perfect as were the internal wraps, tissue and all. The wagons hadn't moved in the packing that I could see. My first point of contact was Accurascale as this was my second box with the exact same items lieing loose inside the wagons. As usual the lads were on the ball in replying. An offer of repair was politely declined as I could repair the wagons myself. My point being this was my second time of having to do so.

Seeing other people comment on here lets me know that it just wasn't myself that had an issue. I fully trust the lads at Accurascale when they say my comments will be brought up at the next production meeting and the issues will be dealt with.

Knowning about the problem, be it one way or another, stops things from spiralling and also shows that Accurascale by their replies and actions are what you want from a manufacturer when dealing with said issues. It certainly wont deter me from buying in the future.

Happy Birthday by the way . 

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hello everyone,

thanks

Mark

I don’t think that you are getting my point. I am not suggesting that we go back to the 1980’s with chunky mouldings.  What I am saying is that I think the finer details should be moulded to the wagon as opposed to separate parts that are fitted by the factory. I have about 200 wagons in my fleet from Bachmann, Dapol, Kernow Models, Heljan, Revolution etc which all have fine parts moulded to the wagon.  You don’t open there boxes from new and find bits floating around the packaging.  I appreciate what Accurascale are producing and their models are fantastic.  All I am Trying to point out is that you should be able to pick a wagon up with your hands without bits dropping off.  

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Melangoose said:

I don’t think that you are getting my point. I am not suggesting that we go back to the 1980’s with chunky mouldings.  What I am saying is that I think the finer details should be moulded to the wagon as opposed to separate parts that are fitted by the factory. I have about 200 wagons in my fleet from Bachmann, Dapol, Kernow Models, Heljan, Revolution etc which all have fine parts moulded to the wagon.  You don’t open there boxes from new and find bits floating around the packaging.  I appreciate what Accurascale are producing and their models are fantastic.  All I am Trying to point out is that you should be able to pick a wagon up with your hands without bits dropping off.  

But you can’t have a modern level of detail with moulded on parts as you would not be able to release the parts from the mould.

Roy

• Agree 6

On 17/04/2021 at 00:00, Melangoose said:

So what youre asking for is for 'accurascale' to become 'lessaccuranottoscale'?

Not for me thanks, i like them as they are, fiddley bits included.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

I dont want this to degrade into an almost 'us' and 'them' thread where people who have received these models intact and those who havnt seem to be at odds with each other. 

I have said all along that these wagons are excellent in terms of detail and i would not want them to go backwards and remove fine detail either. That would be a backward step. My initial contact with the team was positive and always has been. I chose not to return the models i got but to repair them myself and Accurascale sent me two buffers that were completely missing from the package and indeed offered to repair the models that were damaged on receipt. I chose not to go this route and do what a few have done and repair them myself.

I certainly do not agree that we are 'moaning' either as has been suggested. None of the threads ive read are people 'moaning'. That need to be made quite clear. People are rightly highlighting the fact that some models are arriving damaged and some not so whats the problem ?.........is it the packages or is it the handling or is it that some are not packaged as well as others ??

Whether we like it or not, some of these models have been arriving at their final destination damaged...FACT. In my case, every single unit has parts loose on both the BS blue and VTG. The arguments as to whos fault it is are immaterial now but all i have ever suggested is that the packaging needs to be looked at. The boxes  the models are in, are first class and are an excellent presentation case as well as a protective wrap, the problem however seems to me to center around external package and infill material that prepares them for transport as well as the carriers who are trusted to deliver them.

previous wagons have all arrived at my home undamaged. In fact, every single order right from the very start of my association with Accurascale have all arrived undamaged. The only issues ive had are with these particular wagons. 

I have 37's on order and KUA's as well.....im looking forward to them arriving too!

What id like to finally say on this matter and then no more is that some members on here made sarcastic comments at some of my posts and others. Whatever your reasons for it were im not really interested but all i will say is that i hope that you never have wagons delivered in the condition that mine arrived in. Just have a little bit more respect for people less fortunate than perhaps yourselves and a little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss !! 

many thanks.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Krieghoff said:

I certainly do not agree that we are 'moaning' either as has been suggested. None of the threads ive read are people 'moaning'. That need to be made quite clear. People are rightly highlighting the fact that some models are arriving damaged and some not so whats the problem ?.........is it the packages or is it the handling or is it that some are not packaged as well as others ??

Whether we like it or not, some of these models have been arriving at their final destination damaged...FACT.

I completely agree, and mentioning it on here I don't think is unreasonable as long as it is done in a reasonable manner. As long as people's expectations are that they can return their items and be refunded/replaced in a timely manner then realistically the supplier has more reason to be upset as we are, it is costing them money whatever the reason for it. It is a minor inconvenience for the buyer, at most. It is also worth noting that you never know how good people are until something goes wrong and from what I have seen with the few cases on here there is nothing left wanting really.

Not specifically on this thread (a thread about a certain loco springs to mind) but some people when they start going on about how long they have been waiting for what is a completely non essential item and that (tongue in cheek) it would seem their life has been significantly disrupted by the purchasing experience, I do wonder what they are wanting out of their complaint. If it was AS would they want Fran knocking on their door within 24 hours with new wagons and a bouquet of flowers/box of chocolates in apology?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

If it was AS would they want Fran knocking on their door within 24 hours with new wagons and a bouquet of flowers/box of chocolates in apology?

9 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

And carrying beer, dont forget the beer!

If he had a Deltic in his hand, then i’d definitely invite him in.

i’d even layout the red rug to wipe his feet on (I dont do carpets).

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

I received my 3 packs (6 wagons) of the open JSA variant a few weeks ago, and I’m certainly glad I went for them!, there were a few small issues with a buffer and a bogie falling off the one waggon (wouldn’t be surprised if that was due to DPD’s shipping), but other than that I can’t fault them! Once the securing bars are in they really look the part!

9218F0B4-FC13-4816-9759-030D671A1C29.jpeg

AD970A18-BD3B-4699-A5F6-78B627925EDA.jpeg

C75B20A7-0D6C-4BB5-BCE2-908E4C14970D.jpeg

• Like 5

The route map below shows that the hooded coil carriers were used on EWS Enterprise services between Warrington Arpley and Carlisle Kingmoor Yard.  However, I note that the symbol for Carlisle Kingmoor Yard is a 'staging point', which implies that this wasn't the ultimate destination of the wagons on that service and therefore I can only assume that these must either have continued on another Enterprise service (not shown), or must have been tripped to a customer from Kingmoor Yard.  Does anyone know anything about the destination of the wagons on this part of the network?  I'm assuming they were loaded northbound and returned empty in the southbound direction.  I'm also assuming that this must have been finished steel for delivery to an end customer.

JSA_UK_Map.jpg?282

12 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

From memory the traffic to Kingmoor was for a distribution depot at Brunthill on the remains of the Waverley route.

I never knew that place existed, but I think you're probably correct.  Carlisle Warehousing Limited on the Kingstown Industrial Estate looks as though it's still in existence.  The website http://www.wwlgroup.co.uk/Carlisle_rail.html states:

"Having secured a contract for trans-shipping steel coil, it decided to cover the existing siding with a purpose built warehouse. This enabled products to be loaded or unloaded under cover in an extremely clean and controlled environment, free from the challenges of the weather.

The building comprises a galvanised, portal steel frame spanning 17 metres by 92 metres long with a height of 6 metres. This provides an enhanced floor slab of 12 metres wide alongside the rail track which can hold 6 or 7 wagons."

It therefore looks as though steel coil traffic may have been the origins of the current facility.

The photograph on that website is rather dated, as it doesn't show the adjacent building which has been there since at least 2010 (based on Google Streetview and a photograph on the Waverely Route Heritage Association website https://waverleyrouteha.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/a-visit-to-the-brunthill-branch-by-andy-laing/ which shows the facility from the railway side, albeit with Cargowaggons rather than JSAs.

Looking at the Spring 2004 edition of Freightmaster, I note that there were services between Brunthill and both Earles Sidings and Oxwellmains, which were Freightliner hauled, so I'm assuming the facility was receiving significant quantities of bagged cement at that time and the steel traffic had potentially ceased before then.

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

I never knew that place existed, but I think you're probably correct.  Carlisle Warehousing Limited on the Kingstown Industrial Estate looks as though it's still in existence. 

If you search Flickr for Brunthill and look at the photos from Adrian Nicholls and Dave McDigital in particular, will give a fair bit of info on the steel and cement traffic that went there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a brace of JSAs waiting for me when I came home from work today, my first Accurascale purchase (I'm mostly interested in transition era, so a bit early for most Accurascale wagons); anyway I'm seriously impressed. I'm not prone to fanboyism with regard to toy trains, or anything else, but wow what a quality product. Excellent packaging , nice sturdy box, really well detailed wagons. How they manage this level of all round quality for little more than the list price of a couple of 10 year old tooling Bachmann 12T vent vans (for example) intrigues me. Nice one guys!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1