Scalescenes Hornby magazine free kit

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Excellent kit in the latest October Hornby magazine. It says additional elements can be downloaded from the scalescenes site to make a half relief building.  But I can't find these on the site.  Which additional kit is it?

On 12/10/2019 at 09:31, ikcdab said:

Excellent kit in the latest October Hornby magazine. It says additional elements can be downloaded from the scalescenes site to make a half relief building.  But I can't find these on the site.  Which additional kit is it?

Here you go:

https://scalescenes.com/Hornby-magazine-low-relief-railway-works/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

It would be awesome if John made this available generally like he did with the bus garage kit. I have mine but nothing to build it for as yet so it's being put aside for now.

I don't know John's plans for this kit, but generally speaking, the Hornby Magazine kits appear in retail form a couple of months after the magazine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not a criticism of Hornby magazine or Scalescenes, but getting the colours of the downloaded extra elements to match the printed version is, well...

Well, I haven't managed it!!

In the past, Hornby magazine has published full kits over several issues (for example, the small engine shed over three issues). I can understand the "model" of printing a standalone low relief facade such as the Loco Works or the Creamery, and John providing downloads for additional bits to further enhance the freebies, as not everyone buying the magazine wants either the original freebie or the extra bits. But colour matching is a pain! I even went as far as getting colour photocopies done of the Loco Works facade, at different print densities, to try to match the downloads but the results aren't perfect (plus, I should buy shares in Rymans stationers!)

Point I am Making? Do I have a point to make?

Roll on the complete kit available from Scalescenes! I am hoping that he will make the width adjustable to two roads as well as one. Oh, and that standard "bays" have different elements available to insert at will (large sliding doors, personnel doors, office windows, lean to office, large windows, blank wall etc) like for his factory/warehouse kit! Yes, I could kitbash but John does it all so much better!

Steve S

• Like 1