Wagon wheels

I'm in the process of assembling some Ratio diamond framed wagon bogies and I would like to replace the plastic wheels with metal ones. They need to be spoked, around 10 or 11mm and with pinpoint axles. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Most commonly perhaps, but there are plenty of interesting bogie vehicle designs requiring 10mm for 2'6" or 11mm for 2'9".

Colin has 10.5 mm diameter too, spoked and disc, very handy for 0-16.5 narrow gauge as are the "ratio" bogies. 

Edited by Phil Traxson

• RMweb Gold

I think these are for the LMS bogie bolster kit, which IIRC needs 12mm spoked wheels.  These are available from Hornby and Bachmann; I standardise on Bachmanns on my layout.  Current Ratio and Parkside kits come with Gibson wheels suitable for the vehicle.  I've had some trouble with Parksides with axle length being too short.  It's definitely worth replacing the plastic kit wheels though; you'll get better running and much less crud distributed around the layout!

Depending on your period, reference to HMRS Paul's site might show that BR refurbished wagons had instanter couplers and 3-hole disc wheels.

I'm afraid Ratio don't do an LMS bogie bolster. They do a CR 50 Ton Bogie Iron Ore wagon which is disputed. Drawings exist but I believe they never built it or only built a prototype that quickly disappeared.

https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-bogie-iron-ore-wagon-kit?_pos=1&_sid=c4df3945a&_ss=r

The Ratio bogie bolster is a GWR Macaw (inherited from one of the Welsh railways - TVR?).

https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/gwr-bogie-a-flat-wagon-kit

Jason

It's an ex TVR MACAW G and, unusually for the GWR, has diamond frame bogies. They had already been banned for new construction in the States, but lingered on much longer in the UK.

Ideally one of the two bogies should be modified to rock sideways as well as fore and aft. My small fleet of GNR/LNER Bogie Brick Wagons run on them. A great improvement on the Tri-ang horrors they came with.

This one?  My Tri-ang one is lying around somewhere having been withdrawn in favour of the Mainline? version.

IIRC there were two Tri-ang bogie bolsters - an early fictitious one and a later version which bore a passing resemblance to a GWR MACAW B (the one above).