Farnham and district 45th model railway Exhibition

richard brown

The Farnham club's exhibition in Aldershot is always a good show and this year was no exception. It's spread over five 'halls' with plenty of variety of layouts and traders including tools (Squires) which I understand was an issue at the Hornby magazine's GETS. One of the layouts, Uden - a simple Dutch HO all around type, was packed with animations. Not the generally absurd and implausible types (volcanoes erupting in the English countryside, giant aliens invading, etc.,) that feature in the GMRC TV programme but rather more restrained, natural and realistic types (such as a man climbing a ladder, another opening a lorry bonnet, a woman fetching water from a well and even a peacock opening it's tail feathers). Most of the gentile style working cameos involved animated limbs on figures which in HO (3.5mm scale) was very impressive.  

Unfortunately I didn't get much time to have a good look around as I had to keep an eye on a small static display stand of my scratch-built buildings based on real structures. I was quite surprised that there was a fair bit of interest in my stand including by a great many kids which kept me busy talking. And it was the girls (rather than the boys) who showed greatest interest in the modelling aspects of making buildings using cardboard and wanted to know more. The buildings can be seen in my thread elsewhere on RMweb - 

Edited by grahame
grammar, spelling and English