Tarmac

Milano

Paint the surface of your road in neat undiluted Humbrol dark admiralty grey gloss no 5.

Then sprinkle talcum powder on top immediately through a sieve until the paint can’t dissolve anymore.

Leave to dry for 24 hrs. 

Use a shoe brush or similar, to brush off excess talc before toning down with a dark grey/black weathering powder.

The pic shows the result..

34E4B962-2F2F-406F-8B31-5CC07B13AB2E.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

My understanding is that tarmac is generally used for driveways, forecourts, paths, car parks, playground and outdoor sports courts rather than roads which are usually surfaced in asphalt (aka asphalt concrete pavement) which consists of a mix of aggregates, stone dust, sand and bitumen. But I also get the impression there is quite a crossover in term use.

Also roads tend to be a lot lighter in colour than often seen on model railway layouts. It lightens with age and use, as well as reflecting the sky although when wet/damp it appears darker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2019 at 20:43, grahame said:

My understanding is that tarmac is generally used for driveways, forecourts, paths, car parks, playground and outdoor sports courts rather than roads which are usually surfaced in asphalt (aka asphalt concrete pavement) which consists of a mix of aggregates, stone dust, sand and bitumen. But I also get the impression there is quite a crossover in term use.

Tarmac is a shortened form of Tarmacadam, which is a registered trade mark in much the same way as Hoover is for vacuum cleaners and Biro is for ball-point pens. The proper name of the material is asphalt but, like so many other words in the English language, usage and meaning change over time.