• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Here is 16440 in 1977 - predates the Triang-Hornby model apparantely

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsteam/ee687403e

Paul

16440 was that locos original number, according to this list. So the livery is the only thing wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Fowler_Class_3F#Details

On 13/10/2019 at 05:53, PatB said:

I don't have a proper, scientific method for checking motor magnets, but this looks OK. 

Incidentally, can anyone reassure me that the fibrous wadding in Synchrosmoke units isn't the asbestos it so closely resembles?

Missed this first time round  :(

That's the method I use to check magnets. (If I do it....  :)  )

As to the asbestos? It probably is. Nobody cared about it then (One could buy asbestos pan stands in Woolworth's). It could be why they stopped manufacture.

On 03/05/2020 at 13:34, Sarahagain said:

As far as I know the wadding in Synchrosmoke units is not asbestos.

It can char and burn if left to dry out.

I believe that there is no wadding in the Seuthe type brass cylinder units.

There is indeed no wadding in the Seuthe units, just a wretched wire thingy that falls out and looses itself. I bought a Tri-ang Britannia a few years ago (the price was right  :)  ). On testing, she set off smoothly and to my surprise produced the pathetic wisp of smoke that passes for the  clouds of steam that real locomotives emit. The unit was soon disconnected. I suspect the wire thingy has long since disappeared!

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 21:34, Sarahagain said:

As far as I know the wadding in Synchrosmoke units is not asbestos.

It can char and burn if left to dry out.

I have no idea what it is, but I'm certain it isn't asbestos.  I have handled both the wadding in Synchrosmoke units (I can't remember why, but I think I was modifying a B12 chassis to fit a whitemetal kit) and (thankfully not much) asbestos, back in the days when it was freely available and wasn't publicly known to be hazardous.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wolseley said:

I have no idea what it is, but I'm certain it isn't asbestos.  I have handled both the wadding in Synchrosmoke units (I can't remember why, but I think I was modifying a B12 chassis to fit a whitemetal kit) and (thankfully not much) asbestos, back in the days when it was freely available and wasn't publicly known to be hazardous.

Publicly! - I've seen a document dated 1910 stating its toxicity (and one from even earlier to the effect that continuing to burn coal would cause global warming). No notice was taken of either.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

There is indeed no wadding in the Seuthe units, just a wretched wire thingy that falls out and looses itself. I bought a Tri-ang Britannia a few years ago (the price was right  :)  ). On testing, she set off smoothly and to my surprise produced the pathetic wisp of smoke that passes for the  clouds of steam that real locomotives emit. The unit was soon disconnected. I suspect the wire thingy has long since disappeared!

Ah, the dreaded Smoke Tube. I have a couple of working early Seuthe/Triang smoke generators and am careful not to turn the locos over. They are more for demonstration purposes as the 'smoke' effect is indeed both rather pathetic and requires ludicrously fast running. I would suggest though that where you find a smoke generator you don't need, remove the whole thing and sell it as there is market for them!

• Like 2

I wonder if the smoke tubes could be replaced with, possibly cut down in length (I don't have any to hand), hypodermic  needles.

The proper smoke tubes are narrow bore, with an angled end...

Which reminds me of the needles used to extract blood from my arm!

Edited by Sarahagain
auto error!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Ah, the dreaded Smoke Tube. I have a couple of working early Seuthe/Triang smoke generators and am careful not to turn the locos over. They are more for demonstration purposes as the 'smoke' effect is indeed both rather pathetic and requires ludicrously fast running. I would suggest though that where you find a smoke generator you don't need, remove the whole thing and sell it as there is market for them!

One of the reasons there is a market for them is DCC.   This enables them to be able to draw enough current even when stationery through the use of an auxiliary output on the locomotive's Chip. 

If my memory is correct, there was a similar facility with Zero One, and other systems around at the same time.  The series of four Grouping 4-4-0's, which appeared at about the same time had a smoke generator (this may have been optional). 

1 hour ago, crackedmember said:

One of the reasons there is a market for them is DCC.   This enables them to be able to draw enough current even when stationery through the use of an auxiliary output on the locomotive's Chip. 

If my memory is correct, there was a similar facility with Zero One, and other systems around at the same time.  The series of four Grouping 4-4-0's, which appeared at about the same time had a smoke generator (this may have been optional). 

Your right re DCC but for Zero 1 the official advice was to disconnect the smoke generator - Zero 1 didn't have proper function control so the generator would have been live all the time - great until it melted the boiler!

The first releases of the four 1981 4-4-0s all came with fitted smoke generators; subsequent releases omitted them but it was available as an accessory to fit. A number of other early 1980s models were tooled to allow it to be fitted without modification.

• Agree 2