Hybrid O gauge colliery wagon

Bassettblowke

Always on the lookout for an oddball bargain I found this wooden wagon body for £4, eventually I found the embossed card overlay was by a maker by the name of Domascelles. Produced in the postwar years in the dying days of popular O gauge.

fitted with modern ACE/Darstaed couplings, Brass buffers of unknown make, Bonds Brass axle boxes and Hornby axles and plastic wheels, it runs nicely and makes a nice alternative to the more often seen LMC overlay stock.

4BD25852-D193-439E-AD64-D6C4584DE6CD.png

• Like 5

Scratchbuilding for the hamfisted sounds right up my street, having reached an age where shaking hands, dodgy eyesight and sausage fingers are the norm I need all the help I can get.

Off on a tangent looking at the images that  I posted the white line at the end of the overlay is glaringly obvious much less so when you have it actually in your hand. It’s easily rectified with a fine line of black ink or a wash of dirty thinners but  I think in future an inspection by photographic imagery  might become the order of the day.

Edited by Bassettblowke

It wasn't copied from the Peco 4mm 'Wonderful Wagon' by any chance was it? It even has the same number!

https://peco-uk.com/products/baddesley-coal-7-plank

I didn't know they were still available!

I'm on my second one of these. The first was stolen by gremlins or vanished into hyperspace or something in about 1964  :scratchhead:

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

When I first started researching it I had the same thought, it was a query on the Classic O forum that came up with information about Domascelles  from a far more knowledgeable contributor than myself. I have another different unused one stashed somewhere safe, sadly  so safe I can’t find it, I am sure one day when I am looking for something else it will turn up.

• Friendly/supportive 3

20 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Are they still there?

I was there at about 3.30pm this afternoon so they are probably still there - they are in a glass cabinet  with some other 'O' gauge bits and bobs in the front of the pay desk at the back of the shop.

Edited by CKPR
  • Thanks 1

Ah the joy of a proper model shop, if it was in range I would hop on the old three speed and hurtle off down there.  Sadly Hatton’s which was once a treasure trove of items that had been traded in is now predominantly a stack it high and flog it cheap internet retailer, situated on an out of town industrial estate at the end of the  M57 highway to hell.

• Agree 1

CKPR

Seven sets of sides secured at a sensible price ......, many thanks for the top.

I’m unlikely to want to make all seven, and will probably select a few that match my area of interest, so will post details of any surplus ones.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2019 at 13:34, Il Grifone said:

It wasn't copied from the Peco 4mm 'Wonderful Wagon' by any chance was it? It even has the same number!

https://peco-uk.com/products/baddesley-coal-7-plank

I didn't know they were still available!

I'm on my second one of these. The first was stolen by gremlins or vanished into hyperspace or something in about 1964  :scratchhead:

Surprised that they're still available (the overlays and the underframe). The only things they don't seem to do are the actual body shells; suppose one could knock them up from plasticard or the like. I quite liked the Wonderful Wagons, added a bit of variety. From memory I had the Bass and Worthington beer wagons, and the Mendip Quarries and Pwllheli Granite opens. Intend to dig this stuff out over the winter and take some snaps.

Nearholmer

It would be handy if you could list the ones you have and if anyone could add any information as to what the whole range of Domascelles sides consisted of.

Any pics would be a bonus and much appreciated.

Edited by Bassettblowke
Afterthought

Finally joined this Forum . We do the bodies for the Domascelles open wagon ...aka the standard leeds 7 plank ...just got 15 more on order !

We were sorting out the lithos last week and remembered that 3 of the designs have been copied already ...but the second one is new to me ! Cant reproduce the embossing though . I reckon there were about 7 but Id have to look at my collection to remember them all ...most we haven't got masters for .

Of course you cant have too many wooden wagons and Im getting together another mould of bits for them these will include white metal copies of those Bonds axleguards and also their diamond frame bogies . The BL buffers are already in our range .Any suggestions for other bits we could include at the same time ?  Bruce

Here’s what I bagged thanks to CKPR’s intelligence.

Some look a bit tatty, but the vital parts of the cards are actually all in very good condition.

They seem to focus largely around Birmingham, so maybe the designer was a Brummie.

I’ve got two wooden bodies and sets of bits in stock, so will attack probably the gas board one and Clee hill first. Whether I let any go is open to question now - I rather like them all!

As to bits, Bruce, the slimmer (Bonds?) style drop-link couplers, and turned brass buffers are my preferences over Ace couplers and Leeds WM wide buffers.

8F418AA2-393A-49F3-9081-D4D09A89B2E1.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to see you here Bruce, now this is just an idle thought on my part something my wife reckons I excel at (dreaming up things for other people to do). Is it possible to scan and then by computer wizardry change the running number so that it becomes possible to run a rake of one company’s wagons all with different numbers.

i seem to have struck lucky in that the BADDESLEY wagon which I have is the one that most appeals to me and I would like to add a couple more and a variety of different  numbers would be a bonus.