Hybrid O gauge colliery wagon

Bassettblowke

The 'naff' is not so much the plastic as what Hornby have done with it. I think the Union would had something to say about that 7 plank door for a start....

Tri-ang  bought in a better moulding when they started!

One for sale:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-O-GAUGE-OPEN-WAGON-BADDESLEY-WITH-PAPER-SIDES-/303251163408

And a bit of prototype information:- (The Garratt looks interesting!)

https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/11/william_francis.htm

https://warwickshirerailways.com/misc/Baddesley Colliery.htm

• Informative/Useful 1

Re missing sides ...the two Ive found quickly are Edinburgh of Wallyford ...that's black , and Wm C Adams Camp Hill Wharf Birmingham ,in grey .

Re Buffers ..we have done a couple of *brass * ones already and Ive two jars full of various different types we could reproduce but there must be dozens of different ones  and moulds are expensive , as is stock !

Re *Leeds * couplings Paul Lumsdon is following up a contact for a cheaper source of supply ..£6 a pair as per Walsall ...is beyond my budget .My own default for these sort of wagons are brass 3 link hooks ..mainly out of junk boxes /scrappy wagons at meets or our own cast hook with Bonds  3 links to the inch brass chain from a personal lifetimes supply ..... Buffers , anything I can get my hands on although my colleague John Davies decided we needed more of these Leeds Non Loks  as the existing mould only produces a few per spin and I'm not allowed to pinch any more out of our stock for sale . 3 links and Non LoKs mean you can push wagons round 2 ft radius curves . Bruce

11 hours ago, bruce palmer said:

Re *Leeds * couplings Paul Lumsdon is following up a contact for a cheaper source of supply ..£6 a pair as per Walsall ...is beyond my budget.

Replica LMC pattern single link couplings are available from The Leeds Stedman Trust for £4.50 a pair.

• Thanks 1

....as are Non Lok buffers from Cliff Maddock and of course the Leeds Stedman Trust ..ie David Peacock .

Just that if the new bodies are costing about a fiver ,the lithos and  axleguards a couple of quid ,the couplings could also be budget priced  . Several people seem to sell them ..Walsall being the most expensive .  Bruce

26 minutes ago, bruce palmer said:

....as are Non Lok buffers from Cliff Maddock and of course the Leeds Stedman Trust ..ie David Peacock .

Just that if the new bodies are costing about a fiver ,the lithos and  axleguards a couple of quid ,the couplings could also be budget priced  . Several people seem to sell them ..Walsall being the most expensive .  Bruce

The most expensive items are going to be the wheels, unless you are recycling old ones you have on hand.

Not quite .....brand new plastic Hornby repro wheels are available from Stuart Metcalfe @40p each and suitable axles from Tony Funnell at about the same price .....and both are very good ,producing smooth and free running vehicles . I buy both by the 100s for my own use ..hence being a bit vague on current prices.

Wooden ,litho covered wagons is *coarse modelling * at its best/cheapest/most fun !

If you want to go for 3 links, Amberley Services supply sets which are not too fine scale and well made , I think their price is about £4 50 a set .

Tony also makes new Hornby tinplate wheels as well ..but says nobody seems to buy them .....Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Recently acquired from Bruce Palmer and John Davies a 7plk wagon body and four body kits and from the Leeds Stedman Trust reproduction Litho’s for Manchester Collieries wagons. Shown below is progress so far, why five ? Well I fancied a rake of wagons and I also figured that by the time I got to number 5 I might have reached an acceptable standard. 

I am still pondering which axle boxes and buffers to use but the wheels and axles will be Hornby plastic of which I have a good supply and the couplings look to be Mills of which I’ve also got a good few stashed.

1766D859-91A7-47DE-9217-2D82F9B63236.jpeg

2068DC53-5AAF-4EA8-B4BA-8FAEF9B8B1EF.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 1

Yes the fiddly little screws are a pain also where on earth do you find them, whilst nut, bolts and screws preferably in brass definitely float my boat I now use araldite which can be unsightly but painted black on the underside acceptable, to me at least. The other reason is “old Arthur” in my hands makes little screws and the like torturous.

Edited by Bassettblowke

It must have spread to the midlands my dad in his twilight years used the same phrase. Maybe this thread should be renamed Uncle Tom Cobley’s Here we have three Leeds wagons with differing chassis and fittings , two wooden and a Bakelite you should be able to see the dollops of Araldite quite clearly on two of them. The one with the Hornby Chassis has the Michael Whitaker body. The Stedman I am not sure about the buffers or the couplings or come to think of it the axle boxes. The unliveried Bakelite wagon has Progress fittings with Ace/Darstaed couplings and buffers.

6FC008F6-FD33-42B4-8A20-1B97D018B11B.jpeg

8E83BEE1-A2E1-4FEF-8C31-D523F5C46989.jpeg

AF9E9D1A-5ABB-47B0-A444-AF5950AB1C3F.jpeg

• Like 1

The Michael Whitaker one was probably the most complicated as it involved a fair bit of fettling to both the wooden body and the Hornby chassis,  that said it was probably the cheapest to do as both donor body and chassis came from the scrap box and the only real expense was the couplings which are Darstaed bought in a job lot some time ago from Wonersh Trains when they were still dealing Darstaed products.

Well done guys ! Re the Hornby chassis , you ought to be able to fit it behind the solebars as shown ..just then cut the ends off with tin snips so its the correct length and you are done .

I usually glue cast axleguards in place with contact adhesive rather than screws ...much to John Davies disgust ...but it works fine and theres no need to overdue the glue ..just a thin coat on the flat area of the casting where it meets the sole bar. I then line them up by eye .I would say use Tony Funnels repro axles rather than the progress products sleeves , but Im still waiting for my next delivery from him ..hes working 100% on the Bluebell Railways 12in to the foot repro LBSCR Atlantic at the moment ...like many others I cant wait to see it in steam , so not too worried !

A slight commercial ...if anyones going to the Guildford 0 Gauge groups Reading Trade Show in a weeks time on the 7th we will have a stall with all the Leeds bodies , lithos and castings .

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just to add that rather than use the complete Hornby under frame ,buffers and couplings  I'm talking about just the axleguard pressing ...so you don't have to cut the wooden wagon buffer beams off or solebars , if they are already fixed . Cast buffers can then be added and a slot cut in the beam for a Hornby/Darstead type coupling . My Darstead ones came from Bruce Coleman of Wonersh trains too ..I think John and I cleaned him out eventually !   Bruce

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yes the sleeves on the progress wheel sets are unsightly, they would’ve been better in Black and the Araldite was definitely overkill but in my own defence this was my first stab at a Bakelite body and was very much done with what I had to hand The  undersides will get a coat of black while the current paint shop is in session. I had bought the Progress fittings with another project in mind but in the end opted not to use them so they ended up surplus. I agree with your comments about fitting the Hornby Chassis to the Leeds body again my first stab and very much a learning curve. If you look closely at the Michael Whitaker one end has a overhang due to the slight mismatch in size between the Hornby chassis and the LMC body. The answer to that is as you rightly suggest removing the Hornby buffer beams and retaining the Leeds body unadulterated that will give a perfect fit.

Time to buy a new blade for the mini hacksaw or taking my life in my hands flash up the Dremel. There’s a healthy stash of Hornby wrecks in the scrap/future projects bin it could be time to put them to use.

i wish you hadn’t mentioned tinsnips I will probably spend the rest of the day searching for my pair.

Edited by Bassettblowke

The Bakelite bodies are worth saving until you have found a set of Leeds axle guards on the tinplate carrier  as they slot straight in ....cast axle boxes don't work due to the shape of the solebar ...but of course are fine for the wooden stock . That means the body dosnt have to be sliced ..although you will need to fit 3 link couplings .My stash of rusty Hornby has been somewhat depleted by the discovery that a former workmate owned a sandblaster ...so most of it has now been stripped and immediately wire brushed and given a coat of Wilkinson Enamel primer aerosol...far, far easier than the paint stripper method !

Next on the project list are a couple of vans to use the c1954  Douglass litho sides and our own *short *Metropolitan cattle truck artwork .Just finished  is a repro Mills   *oil* tanker ..again the rare short version , and on repo Mills plate frame bogies . Also 3 or 4 leeds coaches to  add bogies, buffers and couplings when I can clear space on the work bench !

All good fun !      Bruce

I would  be delighted to see some pictures it’s a lot easier (for me at least) posting on this forum rather than the other two I frequent. I fully admit this is down to my own failings but it is what it is.

should you wish if you have difficulty I would happily post some for you just email them to me and Bobs your Uncle or in this case Phil.

Back to the subject In hand a quick ferret about in the scrap box turned up a left over from some previous dabbling, judging by the yellow on the solebars I reckon it came from a Hornby cement wagon. Much to my surprise it fitted the the ready made body nice and snugly and could be described as press fit it fits that well,.

however on the four kit built bodies it would need the ends trimming with the newly found snips.

A6139866-2AB9-430C-9E10-A6444ABDB239.jpeg

12079967-8148-4985-827F-D1B5E78F3732.jpeg

3C32C643-0079-457F-9676-A51C119ED0F2.jpeg

BA3A38C7-15C8-4681-8EE2-4115D880574C.jpeg

• Like 2