Puzzel Yard - O gauge in 2.745m x 0.5m

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

A quick update.

I have now completed all the track laying on the centre board. That leaves 3 sidings on one end board and 1 siding on the other end board to do. All being well they'll get done tomorrow. Then I can make a start on the wiring.

Part of the delay in getting thus far has been the assessment of what modifications I'll need to do if having tried out restricting the access to one of the two sector plate tracks to just two out of the three scenic board tracks I decide to restore the access from the third track.

The Mk. 1 version used 5mm plywood as the support framework. This allowed me to mount the point switches and the push buttons for the uncoupling magnets through holes drilled through said support framework, The 9mm thick plywood of Mk. 2 is too thick to do this again so I'm wondering whether to mount the switches and push buttons in a box that can then be fixed to either the front or back of the layout so that I have the flexibility to operate the layout from either side should I wish. At least I don't have to make that decision until I've made a start on the wiring!

• RMweb Premium

090320_1.jpg.441bc5b5b57559ffd8dfaec28b16f129.jpg

Well, the Mk. 2 version of the layout has now completed the track (re)laying phase, is all wired up and has been operational tested to see whether the sector plate needs to be modified to allow the left hand track on the sector plate to be able to access all three tracks leading off the sector plate. The one complete run through of the puzzle certainly makes me think more than I did when I had both sector plate tracks able to link to any of the three tracks on the main board.

I need to do some more experimentation with the coils that I'm using for the uncoupling electromagnets. The coils have been (hot) glued to the underside of the baseboard under a hole that allows a 10mm long bolt to be pushed through the baseboard above the coil. The coils are wired in parallel whereas they were previously wired in series. However, previously the end of the bolt physically made contact with the end of the coil because the bolt was added after the coil had been (hot) glued to the baseboard. This time I inserted the bolt first and then glued the coil to the baseboard. Consequently I suspect that there is now a glue layer between the end of the coil and the end of the bolt which maybe impairing the performance of the "magnet". I may also experiment with using a higher voltage for the coils.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The magnets seem to be working well, so well in fact that they've made me look a bit more carefully at the Dingham couplings and vehicle buffers to improve the relationship between the two. I should perhaps add that the magnets are now powered from an 18v power supply which has helped to make the difference.

I've also realised a major benefit with the restricted access to/off the sector plate. It will mean that the space between the siding in front of the sector plate and the sector plate is increased which should make disguising the sector plate a bit easier.

There's also an addition to the loco fleet. I now have an aged 15" Hunslet as a result of a recent purchase. Its movements are a little noisy but I think that's gradually improving.

That now gives me seven locos which I can rotate for use.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The layout has been dismantled and put on the trolley with board end protectors added using some of the bits of the  baseboards used for the MK 1 version of the layout.

The backscene boards for Mk 2 layout have been cut from the less holey pieces of the Mk1 baseboards and any holes filled with No More Nails which was then rubbed down when dry. These boards have now had their first coat of blue emulsion and have been left to dry whilst I spend a bit of time on the computer.

The first building - a Peco lineside hut - has been assembled. This will cover one of the servos which this time have been placed fairly close to the point they operate. They will be covered by a (removable) structure should I need to get to the servo.

The backscene boards will get a second coat of emulsion after lunch and I may then make a start on the next structure.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The layout is still on its trolley so that I can work on the bench over which the centre board lies when the layout is fully erected.

I've taken the opportunity to assemble the signal box, lineside hut, grounded van body and crane kits whilst I have access to the bench. I also took my life in my hands yesterday and applied primer to all four using rattle cans - my confidence with spraying isn't too great. I then made a start on brush painting the signal box, something I hope to do more of today.

I've also been considering ways to operate the layout from either the front or back. I will need to repeat the switches for the points on both sides. Alas, those two switches also switch the frog polarities as well as operate the servos so straight duplication isn't possible.

Instead I plan to add some relays to do the work of the switches and simply use the switches to work the relays. As long as I leave the switches on one side in the off position, the switches on the other side can be used normally.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I appear to have overlooked to show a picture of the latest addition to the loco fleet. She's a relatively aged 85A model Hunslet. She's had Dingham couplings plus a sound decoder and speaker fitted since she arrived. She will, in due course, become adorned with a nameplate as she is being named after our daughter. She - the loco, not our daughter - is a little noisy when running but that noise doesn't really become noticeable until she's running at or above a dcc speed step setting of 15/28. Luckily, I tend to shunt at slightly slower speeds!

120420_1.jpg.04cbdbfd819e1d4f3c435b44cd3452ba.jpg

One of the reasons for temporarily storing the layout was so that I could work on the bench over which the middle baseboard goes when the layout is operational. So here are some images of what I've been doing on the bench.

120420_2.jpg.fe0c64368b9b1b97ef5ecaec2b9b5b92.jpg

120420_3.jpg.d4759a21195984b56a51c0ee5906ec6a.jpg

120420_4.jpg.54f2e1cc60e8b89b87bcbe49b7e41749.jpg

All are Peco models. The signal box, small hut and van body will each sit over and hide one of the servos that operate the 3 points. The crane is just something to embellish the yard and will have to be removed before the layout can go on the trolley.

I still have one other building to make/add. That's the (low relief) goods shed/factory/warehouse adjacent to the siding in front of the sector plate. However, I've still got to identify one as its height will be a bit restricted if it is to stay on the layout when the baseboards are in their trolley.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

We have been busy.... Haven't we ?????:lol:

Leave you in a bit of self isolating and you start building lots of things (and none for me....hehehe).....

Looking good though

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd have been fitting Dingham couplings to another six wagons recently bought via eBay as well but the postman didn't seem to think that I was that keen to receive them.    :jester:

Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow or I might have to put the layout back up temporarily and either make a start on some further scenery or do a bit more shunting..

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I'd have been fitting Dingham couplings to another six wagons recently bought via eBay as well but the postman didn't seem to think that I was that keen to receive them.    :jester:

Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow or I might have to put the layout back up temporarily and either make a start on some further scenery or do a bit more shunting..

No post on Easter Monday here.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The six wagons finally arrived last week. They've now had Dingham couplings fitted and those that needed them have had vehicle numbers added. In one case I had to add buffers as well. There were two PO wagons in the pack. The transfers on one aren't the neatest and the other PO wagon (Burtt, Gloucester) is a duplicate of one already on the layout so I have renumbered to most recent arrival. It would appear that the firm had several wagons but only two of the type that I've now got so there was little scope in the range of numbers for me to use! The hardest thing was to try to get a font/colour match.

All being well the layout will go back up today. I may even fit the back scene boards. That will be temporary so that the sky stays blue when I start lobbing the green stuff around.

I also want to see how the puzzle goes with a further 6 wagons in use. There must come a time when adding just one wagon makes puzzle resolution almost impossible.

More anon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Ray

I have a set of white metal wagon small buffers, not sure if they are exactly what you are after but I can drop them off ..... of course from a distance.

Thanks Jim.

I managed to get a set for the wagon that was devoid of any. However, since then I've discovered that one of the other wagons has some fairly fragile nylon/plastic ones. They're holding at the moment but I may take you up on your offer if I find they don't survive any rough handling.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The layout's back up and has its backscene boards in situ.

I realised a few days ago that I had an off-cut of bendy MDF which would enable me to curve the backscene board end nearest the middle of the layout to slightly increase the space available for scenery at that end of the siding in front of the sector plate. I'd like to incorporate at least a short section of the backscene at the back of the of the fiddle yard but I can't do that conventionally as the sector plate swings out slightly over the edge of the layout.

Writing that previous sentence has made me wonder if fixing a short length of backscene board to the sector plate's aluminium angle might work instead. I just think that the step between the two backscene boards shown in the picture below is too great to leave it as it is especially as I don't currently have any idea how I'm going to disguise the entrance to the sector plate. Tunnels and bridges don't really fit with the idea of a rural backwater.

230420_1.jpg.42e954438cf50d0f88dcc23efba4c3e4.jpg

The picture also shows the various kits that I've recently built. These - other than the crane - cover the surface mounted servos.

I've still not come up with an idea for the area alongside the siding in front of the sector plate. It can't be any higher than the top of the backscene board because it wold exceed the storage space available and I already have to remove the crane at the far end of the layout for the same reason (and find it a safe home) when storing the layout.

I spent yesterday afternoon running through the revised puzzle. The recently added six extra wagons have certainly extended the resolution time frame as I guessed they would. However, my fear that they might make resolution impossible is currently unfounded. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

The layout's back up and has its backscene boards in situ.

I realised a few days ago that I had an off-cut of bendy MDF which would enable me to curve the backscene board end nearest the middle of the layout to slightly increase the space available for scenery at that end of the siding in front of the sector plate. I'd like to incorporate at least a short section of the backscene at the back of the of the fiddle yard but I can't do that conventionally as the sector plate swings out slightly over the edge of the layout.

Writing that previous sentence has made me wonder if fixing a short length of backscene board to the sector plate's aluminium angle might work instead. I just think that the step between the two backscene boards shown in the picture below is too great to leave it as it is especially as I don't currently have any idea how I'm going to disguise the entrance to the sector plate. Tunnels and bridges don't really fit with the idea of a rural backwater.

230420_1.jpg.42e954438cf50d0f88dcc23efba4c3e4.jpg

The picture also shows the various kits that I've recently built. These - other than the crane - cover the surface mounted servos.

I've still not come up with an idea for the area alongside the siding in front of the sector plate. It can't be any higher than the top of the backscene board because it wold exceed the storage space available and I already have to remove the crane at the far end of the layout for the same reason (and find it a safe home) when storing the layout.

I spent yesterday afternoon running through the revised puzzle. The recently added six extra wagons have certainly extended the resolution time frame as I guessed they would. However, my fear that they might make resolution impossible is currently unfounded. 

Bridges can be Rural as well Ray, as we see here on St Budoc, set in Cornwall.

B5.jpg.281dc856564d0f8cbb38eac1d12ff98c.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg.e2aa526889d77ce13dc4c541d322d757.jpgDSCF1125.jpg.749ce19971e8dfdf699988b299ebe48b.jpgDSCF1111.jpg.80837ad892e871d06355c078aa9bd539.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg.4d70fd4250ccb8091dfce45db9ba28ae.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the suggestion Andy.

I've been mulling over how much height I have and thought there was enough if I had a low wall alongside the road/track over the bridge - a bit like a few accommodation bridges over canals. Then I went and measure the height   :mad:

260420_2.jpg.9842a4db2ce89a27edf4d44c7a8faa73.jpg

There's probably less than 10mm between the top of the chimney and the top of the backscene - which is determining the maximum height of any structure on the layout.

The other (probably) non-prototypical aspect is the closeness of the three tracks leaving the scenic area. I doubt any brick or stonework to support a bridge arch can be more than a house brick wide. I could have something more substantial either side of the three tracks if I use a girder style bridge. I just wonder if that's a realistic option in a rural area.

260420_1.jpg.b4e4eadd92022520b26decc20c74e3e1.jpg

I suppose one advantage of a girder style construction is that I could leave the bridge supports in situ when stowing the layout, simply lifting off the bridge deck and laying that on the baseboard before putting the layout on its trolley.

Decisions, decisions.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

Yes, I can't see that I have any other option than a bridge and then no option other than a girder style whereby I can leave the abutments on the layout and just remove the decking.

46 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Thanks Andy.

Yes, I can't see that I have any other option than a bridge and then no option other than a girder style whereby I can leave the abutments on the layout and just remove the decking.

Does it have to be a Road, what about another Line, out of use, covered in weeds and now used as a footpath.

Exhibit ''A'' = Deesdale Road.

DSCF1027.jpg.0c1e7b162ab6dbbd84c5632aaa868864.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. I'd actually been thinking latterly along the same lines - excuse the pun - as Andy. The footbridge whilst not so deep would probably still need to be removed when the layout's stored and I reckon that might be the same with the pipe.

At least using the redundant railway idea would add extra strength to the decking when its being manipulated on and off the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of ideas strike me.

I wonder if a canal & aqueduct might make a change from a railway/road?

Looking at Andy's recent blasts from the past I wondered if a pipeline might also work.

A possible problem with the canal idea is the unsupported span across three tracks towards the back of the baseboard. An advantage would be that the width would nicely cover one of the servos, something the pipeline wouldn't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A rare visitor to Puzzel Yard. In fact it is probably its only visit as the layout is designed purely for freight. This shows the siding in front of the sector plate which has been ballasted and been visited by the flock brigade. The static grass team will be along soon!

290520_2.jpg.b1dbb7308e15489f374cd47303d81ac0.jpg

Much of the rest of the layout has also seen the flock brigade as shewn in this equally rare view of the main scenic boards with the viewers side facing the operating space of my OO layout - the layout is usually the other way round.

290520_1.jpg.7748ff9ee0d3c9b18675de2a60393999.jpg

I'm trying to decide whether the two un-flocked (still brown) areas should remain grass-less or whether they too should receive a visit from the flocking brigade.

My original thinking was that the smaller (still brown) area would be grassed over whilst the other (still brown) area would remain grass-less and provide an area where wagons could be loaded/unloaded. That would require the removal of part of the grassed bank nearest the camera to allow road vehicles access to the loading/unloading area.

My more recent thinking is to grass everywhere on the basis that the sidings are purely temporary (rolling stock) storage areas not requiring loading/unloading.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well that's the ballasting and base coat of grass (flock) added albeit that some of the glue still needs to dry off..

060620_2.jpg.b8cbe7604492de22507c2d92492a4b4f.jpg

The next job is to tackle the bridge which will provide the break between the scenic section and the sector plate.

But first the layout's probably going to be put back in store for a while as I will need access to the bench beneath it to assemble some electronic bits for my mate Jim.

That said, the layout is (designed to be) portable and I have a sneaky plan to assemble it in the back garden and use it there so that I can invite one friend at a time around and the layout's long enough for both operators to stay socially distanced. Mind you, we'll need to return of some guaranteed warm dry weather before that will happen.

• Like 5