Puzzel Yard - O gauge in 2.745m x 0.5m

Ray H

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Looking good Ray, have you got any further idea's for the bridge yet?

I'm hoping to spend some time this week on playing around with the Scalescenes one if I can extricate the various components and up scale them by 175% on my printer.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Puzzel Yard emerged from hibernation on its purpose built trolley recently and allowed Jim and me to practice some shunting for a couple of days interspersed between other appointments.

It also gave me the chance to see what the (still under construction) bridge looked like. The build of one side wall is "completed" as is the under-deck - which I'm sure has a proper name. That leaves the other side and the (top) deck upon which I've now decided will be a semi-derelict narrow gauge track.

One annoyance of the bridge is that it sits directly above three uncoupling electro-magnets. I could move two of them although that would leave a hole in the baseboard deck (which I'll admit could be covered). The third magnet is as close as it can be to the toe of the adjacent point so is stuck where it is - in more ways than one - and on that basis, I think I'll leave all three where they are.

051121_1.jpg.271d47373fe2fefb2e236f57eb8e5ed0.jpg

The layout didn't appreciate being dragged out and used so it has returned to hibernation so that I can gain access to my bench to some further work on the bridge and assemble a few things for Jim's layout.

I still struggle with the size of O gauge structures even though I have close encounters with them on Jim's layout and the one at the club. I suppose it maybe because my OO layout is a more or less permanent structure which I'm sat right next to when working at the bench.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not the 08 but I've managed to slow the 05 down a bit.

There's a couple of CVs that appear to affect the start-up. One builds a delay between the throttle wheel being turned/power applied and the start of movement. The other affects the acceleration. I adjusted the latter on the 05 and turned its top speed down and it seems a lot better.

I'll take another look at the 08 in due course.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

The "problem" is that Lazy Joe is driving the 08 (on 28 steps). It seems to take a few seconds after it's been told to move before it actually does so.

Maybe the driver is a bit tardy putting his newspaper down!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been busy doing all sorts of other things, some of which were O gauge but a lot weren't, well at least not for this layout.

Anyway my mate Jim did a bit of painting and weathering and then I ballasted the bridge. Unfortunately the photo doesn't do it justice because what is actually there are the places where the sleepers have been removed so you can see the two different levels in the ballast. I shall probably put a bit more greenery dotted around and eventually get to fix it "in place". Its place will be atop the brickwork when the layout's in use but laying on the track when the layout's in the trolley.

071220_1.jpg.2012b86467292909df0ff8cbdd3f031b.jpg

And there's just the matter of an 0-6-0T kit to build when I can get some of the other jobs done.

Thank goodness (in a way) for lockdown. I doubt I'd have had the time otherwise!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Puzzel Yard was brought out of hibernation last week as a fellow club member who we hadn't seen for many a month felt able to visit so he got an invite to try his hand with the layout - and although I'd planned to get everything set up at the start of last week so that I could have a play test it, it eventually only got put up the day before the visit.

However, I did manage to get some fencing put up along the front edge and also adjacent to part of the backscene.

I did manage an operating session this afternoon but I've already got a couple of things for which I need the bench (over which part of the layout sits) so I don't know how long it'll be before it goes back on its trolley.

As 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing I want to try before the layout gets put away again is adjusting the Dingham couplings/buffers. I didn't appreciate the reference to their relationship in the Dingham's instructions with the result that a number of the loops won't lift when the vehicle is being propelled because the end of the loop is all but wedged against the pivot point of the adjacent wagon.

Most of the wagons currently on the layout were bought second hand. Some have rigid/glued buffers that are not in the best position relative to the coupler. I shall try and move these buffers. Failing that I want to try shortening the loop.

The couplings are generally glued in so I reckon I might have to artificially shorten the loop by cutting off the cross piece at the front of the loop and solder a replacement a little further back. Watch this space.

Unfortunately I can't do the coupling modification with the layout up 'cos I have no bench to work on!! I do have a 2 yard test track atop the front of the OO layout so I can see Puzzel Yard going back into store a bit sooner than I had hoped.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Puzzel Yard has finally succumbed to the demands on the bench below the centre board and is now back on its trolley so I can make a start on some of the waiting bench reliant jobs.

I did take a look at the couplings on a few wagons - largely by moving them over one of the electro-magnets - only to find that the (electric) current capabilities of mini push-buttons that I've been using (and which had been playing up for a while) was not man enough for the job. I've since changed them to switches which seem to be working better and have a higher current rating.

Other things got in the way with the result that I didn't really get much further with the couplings. Luckily I've recently inherited a jig via a club member that should make the job easier (especially as that also needs the bench so that it could be used!

• Friendly/supportive 2