Dundas Hudson V tipper

steve howe

Can anyone advise if the Dundas Hudson V skip can be made to tip? I want to try to get some to unload sand  into a loading chute ideally using a similar device to Giles Flavell's 'End of the Line' layout.

Steve

• Like 1

yes, the body is seperate to the chassis and is made to tip as prototype

EDIT, for some reason i replied thinking you were asking about the 16mm binnie skips but your talking 009, a quick look at the kit in image search,  I would still say yes

Edited by sir douglas

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering the same question just recently. My conclusion was yes, but not well.

If you build the kit as instructed, but dont glue the skip to the body. It will tip, and if filled with a load of sand it runs precariously but stable over a simple short length of track and will then dump the load fairly nicely if you push it in just the right way. But, once they are empty, the skip wobbles around all over the place and easily rattles out of alignment. Repeated tests showed skip to be inclined to fall off with the slightest knock or bump. They dont have the mass to hold the skip in place properly, Weight doesnt scale well. It was also very easy to knock the skip off if I didnt push it exactly right when tipping and they tended to try and right themselves awkwardly once empty.

I then tried kitbashing, using the chassis and skip but building new support ends based on the arched top frame style. I scaled the dimensions from the Robert Hudson catalogue, republished by the narrow gauge railway society.

With the higher structures around the flat support plate of this design, the skip stays in place when running and when tipping. It also has a little friction which keeps the rattle under control. 

The first one seems to work well so I am going to try a small rake and then see if I can get the tipper mechanism to work.

See below. 

_20191025_205856.JPG.4b2146770b613d726c801d68cdcd87af.JPG

Std version on the right. Modified version on the left.

Please excuse the paint job, the next experiment was an excersise in trialling new rust painting techniques. 

Hope that helps

• Like 2

Thanks indeed, that looks like a way forward. I only intend running three in a rake, but lightness was an issue I was concerned about. 

I was also thinking about the Snailbeach type side tipping wagons but I am not sure if anyone makes a kit for them in 4mm?

Steve

5 hours ago, steve howe said:

I see that Peco also do their own tipper GR-330 OO-9 V-Skips Hudson Rugga, anyone any experience of these?

Steve

I've got a couple packs of the rugga skips and the tipper bit is a separate piece of plastic to the chassis but they snap in place to hold them in place so probably quite difficult to modify them to tip. 

I've been doing a bit more digging around on this matter and there is a thread on just this subject:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120156-009-working-tippers/&tab=comments#comment-2625482

and following SVRLad's suggestion am looking at the ROCO vee skip as an option. They tip as required (apparently) and run well, 

skips.png.16c74bdbc7ca2a61f9f1b5d375a57c60.png

They are higher in the body than the Hudson version but as these things were produced in a wide range of sizes and shapes, I can live with that for my modest needs! I would be interested to hear how the Peco ones perform though.