Stairways

Been working for the last couple of weeks on making a scratch built Stairway for the descent from my bridge on Montgreenan down to the station forecourt below, and the steps in particular were giving me some challenges until I had a moment of inspiration at a local Model Rail show when I spotted the Peco LK-7 Subway staircase at a traders stand. By buying two packs and severely butchering them, I was able to form a staircase by using one set of stairs as intended and then inverting the other one to continue the descent. Glue in some strengthener's and some plasticard walkways, and surround this with a card based frame, and I had my Stairway.

I then covered the walls with the same stone paper which features on my bridge, plus some surplus wooden strips from the bridge kit for coping stones and the leftovers from the Peco kit for handrails, then finally I added some painted features courtesy of the fine tip brushes bought at the same Model Rail show...…..some fine detail still to complete, but I am really delighted with the finished article, which provides the feature that I originally envisaged but had struggled initially to see a pathway to make, and all for under a tenner !

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 1 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 2 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 3 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 4 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 5 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 6 (2).jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Been working for the last couple of weeks on making a scratch built Stairway for the descent from my bridge on Montgreenan down to the station forecourt below, and the steps in particular were giving me some challenges until I had a moment of inspiration at a local Model Rail show when I spotted the Peco LK-7 Subway staircase at a traders stand. By buying two packs and severely butchering them, I was able to form a staircase by using one set of stairs as intended and then inverting the other one to continue the descent. Glue in some strengthener's and some plasticard walkways, and surround this with a card based frame, and I had my Stairway.

I then covered the walls with the same stone paper which features on my bridge, plus some surplus wooden strips from the bridge kit for coping stones and the leftovers from the Peco kit for handrails, then finally I added some painted features courtesy of the fine tip brushes bought at the same Model Rail show...…..some fine detail still to complete, but I am really delighted with the finished article, which provides the feature that I originally envisaged but had struggled initially to see a pathway to make, and all for under a tenner !

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 1 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 2 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 3 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 4 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 5 (2).jpg

13th Oct 2019 - Montgreen Bridge Steps 6 (2).jpg

Some very nice modelling here...

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice.  I was looking for a way to model an internal stairwell in a building and found that stair pieces at a scale of 1:75 can be found on Ali Express.  I can't say how good they are, but I've ordered a few pieces, which are currently on their way to the UK.  For my purposes, I think they should be fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963856550.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.50df4c4dFxvJL6

I'm not sure how costs would compare to the approach that you have taken.