SHAPEWAYS

paul 27

• RMweb Gold

If you are in the UK, prices are quoted in US$ but the items will be manufactured in The Netherlands.  Price is converted from US$ to EUR then into sterling on your credit card.  Shipping has always been by UPS when I've oredred things, and they arrive in bomb-proof packing!

• RMweb Premium

You're charged in Euros though, so worth having a Monzo/Starling/Revolut/other card which doesn't shaft you on forex rates/fees.

Or, send a message to the designer, they may have another outlet which is far cheaper.

• RMweb Premium

But you can easily get a bank account that gives a better exchange rate and costs nothing. A lot of credit cards have a £2+ minimum transaction fee. Not mandatory, but I use Monzo for all my foreign transactions and it's markedly cheaper.

• RMweb Premium

Again, contact the designer, they may sell from the UK.

Shapeways is purely a marketplace for people to get their designs printed. With the growth in home printing and escalating costs from Shapeways there may be an alternative, but no, there is no "Shapeways UK".

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

But you can easily get a bank account that gives a better exchange rate and costs nothing. A lot of credit cards have a £2+ minimum transaction fee. Not mandatory, but I use Monzo for all my foreign transactions and it's markedly cheaper.

A new bank account just to save a few quid seems a bit excessive! Like I said savings for a few purchases a year would be far less than the hassle of a new bank account and I don't use credit cards so no problem there either. Probably makes sense though if you make a lot of foreign transactions.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

A new bank account just to save a few quid seems a bit excessive! Like I said savings for a few purchases a year would be far less than the hassle of a new bank account and I don't use credit cards so no problem there either. Probably makes sense though if you make a lot of foreign transactions.

Why? Set up online in 10 minutes, treat as a pre-pay card. Free foreign cash withdrawals, free forex transactions all at the Mastercard rate. The time involved in setting it up is repaid in one foreign trip. Like I said, not compulsory, but if you're planning on buying anything of note abroad (or going abroad) then I'd recommend it. But we digress.

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

Why? Set up online in 10 minutes, treat as a pre-pay card. Free foreign cash withdrawals, free forex transactions all at the Mastercard rate. The time involved in setting it up is repaid in one foreign trip. Like I said, not compulsory, but if you're planning on buying anything of note abroad (or going abroad) then I'd recommend it. But we digress.

On the basis my passport expired over 20 years ago and I've not been abroad for 30 a few quid here or there won't make any odds but, as you say, we digress ;)