A1X Terriers - How far did they roam?

JST

I know I saw a number of these locos back in the late 50s and early 60s (I still have my Ian Allen "Combined Volumes" from that era) but the question is where? I just can't remember. I lived in Exeter but travelled  (trainspotting) over the south of the country as far as Bournemouth, Southhampton and Eastleigh but I am sure I saw one standing in one of the centre roads of Devonport Kings Road station when travelling from Exeter to Plymouth on the old SR route. Is this possible or did I dream it?

The reason I ask is although my layout is not very prototypical I have a rule about locos - if it didn't, at some point run through Exeter St Davids, I can't have one - and I rather like the new Terriers!

Not  in  the  50's or 60's but the LSWR had 2 second hand (A1 not A1X) for  the  Lyme  Regis  line, one of these spent some a period as station pilot at Exeter (LSWR).  This  may  well have  banked  trains  from  St  Davids  and  the  LSWR  livery  is  an  available  option.

I doubt  if any  Terriers found there way around there in later years.

The admiralty had some in  WW1,  these I believe were used in Scotland, but again not in  years.

The  GWR  inherited  2  from  the  WC&P  Rly,  where  these  were  used  I  dont  know  (1  at  Taunton  for  a while?),  these  were  gone  by  early  50's.

What  you  may  have seen  is  an  E1R,  the  E1  was  a larger  loco  than  a  Terrier  but  looked very  similar,  several  were  modified   by  the  SR  with  a  larger  bunker  and  a  rear  pony  truck  as  class  E1R.  These  were  used  throughout  the  West  Country.

Peter

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Pics and info at SEMG Online:

A1X: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/a1x_01.html (go to Data page for loco listing inc. dates etc)

E1/R: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e1r_class.html (includes pics of locos at Exeter St. Davids)

Feature index for loco classes etc. http://www.semgonline.com/photoind.html?LMCL=PNhp9i (scroll down for locos)

The one from Butlitz came back off holiday and is now on holiday on the Isle of Wight. Some went to Scotland according to a Terrier thread on a railway staff page on FB, others went abroad during WW1, one is in Canada. I think there was 1 in stock on the SNCB after WW2.

Edited by roythebus

2 minutes ago, roythebus said:

The one from Butlitz came back off holiday and is now on holiday on the Isle of Wight. Some went to Scotland according to a Terrier thread on a railway staff page on FB, others went abroad during WW1, one is in Canada. I think there was 1 in stock on the SNCB after WW2.

Butlins had three of them. :D

Brighton, Martello and Knowle. Brighton was the one that went to Paris and won the Gold Medal.

I think the furthest they got was Argentina.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2019 at 12:37, IWCR said:

Not  in  the  50's or 60's but the LSWR had 2 second hand (A1 not A1X) for  the  Lyme  Regis  line, one of these spent some a period as station pilot at Exeter (LSWR).  This  may  well have  banked  trains  from  St  Davids  and  the  LSWR  livery  is  an  available  option.

I doubt  if any  Terriers found there way around there in later years.

The admiralty had some in  WW1,  these I believe were used in Scotland, but again not in  years.

The  GWR  inherited  2  from  the  WC&P  Rly,  where  these  were  used  I  dont  know  (1  at  Taunton  for  a while?),  these  were  gone  by  early  50's.

What  you  may  have seen  is  an  E1R,  the  E1  was  a larger  loco  than  a  Terrier  but  looked very  similar,  several  were  modified   by  the  SR  with  a  larger  bunker  and  a  rear  pony  truck  as  class  E1R.  These  were  used  throughout  the  West  Country.

Peter

I doubt the LSWR Terrier did any banking  - they probably had much more suitable locos. They bought 2 so that there was cover if one needed to go to Exmouth Jn - and I believe 2 were used double headed on occasion for heavy trains on the Lyme regis branch. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Butlins had three of them. :D

Brighton, Martello and Knowle. Brighton was the one that went to Paris and won the Gold Medal.

I think the furthest they got was Argentina.

Jason

Canada being about half the distance to Argentina so agreed! And I'm pretty sure the Canada one has never steamed there?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Canada being about half the distance to Argentina so agreed! And I'm pretty sure the Canada one has never steamed there?

This side of Canada is about half the distance to Argentina, but the other side is much further away...  

I went to Montreal from Heathrow once, a place I think of as 'this side'.  The Great Circle route took us in over Labrador, and it took an aircraft travelling at 600-odd mph 2 hours to reach Montreal from the coast.  Canada is BIG!!!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried googling Inverness terrier but the result was unhelpful. Am I dreaming that one was loaned to the Highland during the Great War - am I confusing this with the ones that went to the Admiralty?

Inverness was home to the three proto-Terriers Balnain, Lochgorm, and St Martin's.

Here's the former Shadwell looking very sorry up on the scarp of the Cotswolds.

• RMweb Gold

Bradley records that 3 A1s were sold to the Admiralty for use at Inverness, being 637, 681 and 683, while 1 A1, 638, and 1 A1X, 679, were similarly sold for Admiralty use at Invergordon. These sales took place in Jan and Feb of 1918, costing £1200 apiece. 

• Informative/Useful 2

No. 57 Thames Sold for £670 to Pauling & Co., May 1902. Used in the construction of the Northolt - High Wycombe extension of the Great Central Railway's Chiltern Line. Sold to La Plata Tramways, Argentina, 1909

No. 52 Surrey Sold for £670 to Pauling & Co., September 1902 . Used in the construction of the Northolt - High Wycombe extension of the Great Central Railway's Chiltern Line. Sold to La Plate Tramways, Argentina, 1909.

I guess that these terriers got the furthest away! I wonder how long they lasted  and if there are any photos of them in Argentina.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2019 at 22:44, JST said:

Jeez.... I didn't know the SR had a branch line that long! :D

And you thought the Withered Arm ended at Padstow.

• Funny 2