Hornby 06 shunter

A few days ago I bought a s/hand  Hornby 06 shunter  very cheaply, simply because I liked the look of it.  I thought I could do some detail work on it and make it presentable. 

It wasn't very keen to run, but cleaning the wheels cured that . I just tried it to see how it would perform, and found to my delight it runs beautifully quietly , slowly , and smoothly. 

So my question is why do people criticise them for running like a jackrabbit ?   I know there are probably lots of detail and dimensions that are incorrect, and I am sure I can make improvements there, but runningwise  it is second to none.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think for many years they used a motor which was more of an off on switch whereas latterly they have employed a better one. Certainly the smokey jo of today is controllable at a crawl whereas 10 years ago it would have given a rocket ship a good run for its money. It also makes them brilliant and cost effective starting points for customisation, detailing etc.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RobMG said:

A few days ago I bought a s/hand  Hornby 06 shunter  very cheaply, simply because I liked the look of it.  I thought I could do some detail work on it and make it presentable. 

It wasn't very keen to run, but cleaning the wheels cured that . I just tried it to see how it would perform, and found to my delight it runs beautifully quietly , slowly , and smoothly. 

So my question is why do people criticise them for running like a jackrabbit ?   I know there are probably lots of detail and dimensions that are incorrect, and I am sure I can make improvements there, but runningwise  it is second to none.

Which version of the 06 is it?

A relative bought my son one (R2676), and that runs off like a hare. I think it dates from 2012. I wouldn't mind one with a newer chassis, especially as Peter's Spares sells a number of differently decorated bodies/cabs.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Does the  Hornby Bagnall shunter have a similar sweet performance?

Btw, I am also interested to discover which variant of 06 shunters are worth buying.

Cheers

JB

• RMweb Gold

A quick scan through the Hornby service sheets suggests the new motor X8966 came in from April 2001 and is still current on the class 06. So that would be all models from R2188, and possibly R2184 as well.

Hmm, I think I need to re-run mine with the new controller acquired since...

I assume the Bagnall's would all be the same chassis, as they only came out a few years ago?

13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think most of the comments are from those who had one as a child decades ago and hasn't seen a newer version run.

Jason

I'm not that young!  In my teenage days the 0-4-0T was Polly / Connie / Nellie. 

I did get some of the later 0-4-0s including Smokey Joe and the original 06.  I used high wattage low amperage resistors wired in series with the motor to slug it so that the locos ran reasonably.  OK this was last century.  So be also aware that with these older 0-4-0s, they have the old style Hornby wide wheel treads with a back to back that doesn't like modern point-work.   

Oh and I have seen the newer version of that chassis run; they don't need to be slugged.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, RobMG said:

Rob, don't let Hornby know or they will come round and take it off you. It must have been a reject that escaped into the big wide world. :secret:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Rob, don't let Hornby know or they will come round and take it off you. It must have been a reject that escaped into the big wide world. :secret:

A good controller will tame all of them, but since Tri-ang days they have all been capable of well over a scale ton! Maybe the 21st century has seen motors that don't have a top speed of 20.000 r.p.m.?

6 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

A good controller will tame all of them, but since Tri-ang days they have all been capable of well over a scale ton! Maybe the 21st century has seen motors that don't have a top speed of 20.000 r.p.m.?

Erm. That's what I meant.

When was the last time either of you seen a new one move? They aren't like that anymore.

Jason

12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Erm. That's what I meant.

When was the last time either of you seen a new one move? They aren't like that anymore.

Jason

I'm pleased to hear it. It was long overdue (about fifty years).  :)  I have to admit not having seen a modern one Hornby 06s are something I have always avoided. The nearest I have is the Hornby Dowlais Class D.

Edited by Il Grifone

My experience of these models. No Class 06s though.

Never had a Triang one. Got mine in 1978 in a GWR train set and yes, it was a bit sprightly.

My brother got a Caledonian 0-4-0ST when they came out. A bit less sprightly.

He bought his daughter one in the early 1990s and it was fine.

Last year I bought her son one from Hattons for about £17 and it was impeccable.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

Last time I looked, Hattons had one of the Collectors Club editions, new, for ~£14.50 a pop. A good opportunity to lay a few down for future bashing, perhaps. 

Edit: That's the Caley Pug, not the 06.

Edited by PatB

59 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

Have they changed the gear ratio as well? "Impeccable" from a Hornby Caley Pug seems too good to be true, even with a much better motor.

Okay. Maybe not finescale standards. But pretty adequate for a small, cheap model that is mainly going to be used by beginners or children as a gateway model.

Don't expect Peckett qualities, but they aren't like a Ferrari either.

Jason

18 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I have a H &M  duette, it runs very using that, as do all my other locos..   It obviously is a later model, it has a can motor , and was made in China.  

I bought it a week ago with a little pile of other bits including a couple of wagon kits, some lowmelt solder, a pack of static grass, and some white metal castings of workshop equipment. all for £20 at a fairly local model shop in Shropshire, I'd discovered a few days before.  So I was pleased with my rummage through a couple of bits boxes..

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1