Hornby PALETHORPES VAN

paul 27

Looking at there last made model I see no difference than the first issue, only the later has blue

writing instead of yellow, which is correct for the BR period as I cannot find any period colour photos.

As to updating the chassis has any one used the 3D plastic ones available.

4 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

Looking at there last made model I see no difference than the first issue, only the later has blue

writing instead of yellow, which is correct for the BR period as I cannot find any period colour photos.

Yellow PALETHORPES for BR period; see Sheet BL153 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

I take it that you are aware of 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, paul 27 said:

I haven't used one, but they are made to fit the Hornby body so still a foot short of the prototype. 

I think John was being modest when he linked macgoerdie's post above, he's done quite a bit of butchering of Hornby's Palethorpes stock in the past.

5 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Hi Paul,

I have used three of these:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XRK2ZVVG7/00-lms-sausage-milk-van-chassis?optionId=59043521

and one if the GWR equivalent. They are nicely moulded and accept top hat bearings and Hornby wheelsets with no problem. They are provided with an NEM coupling socket. I used a smaller diameter wheelset on the centre axle and the vehicles ride well. The bodies are a nice snug fit on to the chassis.

The finish texture is a little rougher than usual, but all but disappears under a coat of 'grime'.

I will post some pictures of comleted moels later.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I got two of the chassis' off Shapeways.

The bars were bent out of whack so cut them off and replaced with brass.

Two of the brake blocks were deformed so they were all removed and cast whitemetal ones from Wizard Models fitted.

The Dynamo was a bit weedy and of a different type to the pic in Russell's GWR  coaches so they went as well.

Fitted some Lanarkshire Model buffers and "voilà"

(Might as well have scratchbuilt my own chassis) <sigh>

Screenshot_20191014-224542_Photos.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 2

As promised Paul, complementing Lofty's pic.

sausages_001.JPG.242c264fb9f63d2a71f65afd2350a37f.JPG

sausages_002.JPG.52bc23674e3b5d2ca5fead767b0ade7b.JPG

sausages_003.JPG.ce0c2506f162f02ea10c20d1dd33cbee.JPG

The first image uses John Isherwood's excellent transfers,(as do two other LM region examples). the second is the Hornby livery 'BR-ised', again usng CCT transfers from the sheet.

The third picture shows an insulated milk van for completeness, uses the LMS chassis with the battery box removed.

I would agree with Lofty regarding the brake hangers , if I was doing it again I would do the same, in fact still might, the bars were replaced on mine, using styrene sheet.

Hope this helps,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 4