Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Just now, locoholic said:

Excellent. I'm a bit surprised that the whole boiler including smokebox is metal whilst the cab and splashers are plastic, since this will push the centre of mass well forward of the driving wheels - I hope traction tyres aren't involved.

It might be hard to get the splashers thin enough if they were in metal. But agree, hopefully the weight is centred between the drivers. The Hattons 14XX and Hornby H are not and it really affects running and haulage power.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Excellent. I'm a bit surprised that the whole boiler including smokebox is metal whilst the cab and splashers are plastic, since this will push the centre of mass well forward of the driving wheels - I hope traction tyres aren't involved.

Surely, the prototype locomotive would suffer much the same problem. The issue for the model  is about how you fix and spring the pony so that is takes its fair share of the weight.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

SECR (and that part of the South-East) now very well served, perhaps the best pre-group era selection of locomotives and rolling stock.

The former SER had a number of compact modellable stations as well as "might-have-been" projects, so I think we may see quite a few defections of modellers to follow SECR/SR/BR(S) as their prototype.

8 minutes ago, locoholic said:

If you read the blurb you will see that for the first time in the UK it has a push together loco to tender coupling, or words like that.

If this is on the lines of continental models then a good portion of the tender weight will actually be going onto the rear of the cab.

I have confidence that the parties involved know what they are doing.

Bernard

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Surely, the prototype locomotive would suffer much the same problem. The issue for the model  is about how you fix and spring the pony so that is takes its fair share of the weight.

The issue is much more pronounced on a model, since the mass is proportional to the cube root of the scale. I would really be happier if the cab at least was a metal casting, instead of the smokebox.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

If you read the blurb you will see that for the first time in the UK it has a push together loco to tender coupling, or words like that.

If this is on the lines of continental models then a good portion of the tender weight will actually be going onto the rear of the cab.

I have confidence that the parties involved know what they are doing.

Bernard

I think that would worry me. The trick of having the tender weigh down the back of the loco works well enough on a layout with proper points and wide curves. I think it could be problematic for a 4-4-0 on trainset points and curves.

1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The prototype seeks to distribute weight as evenly as possible across all wheels and each wheel has suspension to help this and retain grip. A model chassis is rigid in comparison and we have no need to have weight distributed evenly to avoid damaging the rails etc. A 500 tonne train would equate to 1.13 kilos yet our model rolling stock will exceed that by some measure. Real trains are steel on steel (a fair degree of friction), our models are diecast wheels on nickel silver rail (less friction). At the same the model runs on track conditions (tighter radiuses, sharper gradient changes) that the real thing. So what weight the model has needs to be centred between the drivers to ensure best running and pulling.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1