Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

............ which brings us back to the question of the 'E' class !

With this announcement, the three most numerous classes of SECR-built locomotive are now available RTR: C (109), D (51) and H (66), representing 74% of locomotives built during Wainwright's tenure as Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Superintendent. However, for a balanced locomotive stud for the Edwardian (or later) SECR (SER section), one really needs some SER locomotives of the Stirling Classes F (88), O (122), and Q (118), which collectively outnumbered their Management Committee brethren by 45%.

If you bid the E (26), I'll raise you the Stirling B (29).

A model of a Stirling O in original condition could double up as his GSWR 13 Class or his nephew's Class B engines for the Hull & Barnsley - neither of which railways yet rejoices in a RTR model of one of its locomotive classes.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hugebits said:

Brilliant news!  I've pre-ordered 2 versions (along with suitable companion coaches from Hattons!)   Looking forward to seeing lots of pre-group layouts with shiny locomotives, gotta be better than the proliferation of sh*tty BR layouts currently doing the rounds.  BRAVO!

Unworthy.

Personally, having had a brief excursion into the exhibition circuit with horror of horrors a "modern image" layout and being involved in keeping the former Liverpool Model Railway Club "Dolgellau" layout going in the town following acquisition, which is firmly set in the 1960s just before closure, anyone who builds a layout for exhibition deserves praise whatever the subject, do describe their work as "sh*tty" just because you prefer some other era to post nationalisation is unhelpful and frankly offensive.

Excitement over the announcement of a pretty locomotive can never justify that sort of remark.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

With this announcement, the three most numerous classes of SECR-built locomotive are now available RTR: C (109), D (51) and H (66), representing 74% of locomotives built during Wainwright's tenure as Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Superintendent. However, for a balanced locomotive stud for the Edwardian (or later) SECR (SER section), one really needs some SER locomotives of the Stirling Classes F (88), O (122), and Q (118), which collectively outnumbered their Management Committee brethren by 45%.

A model of a Stirling O in original condition could double up as his GSWR 13 Class or his nephew's Class B engines for the Hull & Barnsley - neither of which railways yet rejoices in a RTR model of one of its locomotive classes.

With No.65 preserved at the Bluebell and available for scanning, I suggest an O1 would be far more likely.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Denbridge said:

With No.65 preserved at the Bluebell and available for scanning, I suggest an O1 would be far more likely.

With 58 rebuilt from Class O, and many surviving to BR black, I suppose you are right, but sadly none in SER black!

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As one who has contributed to the proliferation of sh*tty BR layouts I look forward to acquiring an example in sh*tty BR Lined black to run on my sh*tty BR layout. 

Rob. 

With lots of sh*tty weathering in the sh*tty weather so beloved of your favourite photographer.

Personally, I think grotty is a more more descriptive word for said layouts but it's only Mr/Ms Hugebits first couple of posts, youthful exuberance, first day in class and all that 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, locoholic said:

Excellent. I'm a bit surprised that the whole boiler including smokebox is metal whilst the cab and splashers are plastic, since this will push the centre of mass well forward of the driving wheels - I hope traction tyres aren't involved.

We were told it has been specifically done that way to ensure that the centre of mass IS in exactly the right place for maximum traction. (CJL)

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I do keep looking at this and thinking that I must check whether the dimensions are close enough for conversion to one of S.W. Johnson's later 4-4-0s for the Midland - 2203 Class maybe. The D1 rebuilds have a strong family likeness to the 483 Class rebuilds of the Johnson 4-4-0s!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves.....

Keith

NO WAY!

Some of us are restricted to 'trainset' curves and its snobbery of the highest order to say we should be denied beautiful models like this just so those fortunate enough to have lots of space can load it over the rest of us.

If it so upsets the purists that this model will have to cope with 2nd radius curves then I'm sue there are kits out there which can be used to demonstrate superiority.

• Like 2
  • Agree 15
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There is of course a loco to scan to get you a G class. Several liveries available there too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves...

Or there's the intelligent design approach, to confer (the vital) R2 capability and obtain maximum fidelity by provision of options for the owner to experiment with at whatever minimum radius they can accommodate. There's not many of us have the NRM/Rapido Stirling single to examine, but this is an exemplary example of this approach.  (I am hoping that the Accurascale class 55 design will match it in offering such alternative options.) 

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

With this announcement, the three most numerous classes of SECR-built locomotive are now available RTR: C (109), D (51) and H (66), representing 74% of locomotives built during Wainwright's tenure as Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Superintendent.

While I happy for you and glad that people are getting a model which they are interested in...  J21/ NER C1, alone, had a fleet total of 201... just saying... 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

While I happy for you and glad that people are getting a model which they are interested in...  J21/ NER C, alone, had a fleet total of 171... just saying... 

That argument won't work, or Electrostar EMUs would be widely available already.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3