Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

It is interesting to note that the similar E class were used on London Bridge to Portsmouth trains in the 1930s (hauling LSWR stock by the looks of it, so that SECR locomotives were hauling LSWR stock over an LBSCR line): see here and here.

I wonder whether the D class ever hauled similar trains?

Edited by jamespetts
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Did Dapol indicate whether a D1 version COULD be forthcoming ?  (Much later of course).

No.  Nobody asked that question and there was no sort of hint.  (Presumably the chassis and later pattern tender would be suitable - maybe an opportunity for a 3-D print approach?)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I was really hoping Bachmann would produce this one. Every time Hornby or a retailer produces these things it kills off the chance of them being shrunk to N gauge. Oh well... Enjoy you lucky 00 mob! :)

Probably already been done to death on other 'duplicate' threads but if other parties are/were interested (and Hornby is one of them) and they're already far enough into development then they might still, and we'll have another Terrier situation on our hands.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack P said:

Probably already been done to death on other 'duplicate' threads but if other parties are/were interested (and Hornby is one of them) and they're already far enough into development then they might still, and we'll have another Terrier situation on our hands.

And that’s another question that was posed.....and indeed accepted as a possibility. ATM,Bachmann as we all accept are struggling to deliver anyway.I personally have the feeling that Hornby are in a similar position,so I can’t see another Terriergate looming.

I confess I didn’t see Dapol doing this one either and owned up to it to Joel.Proves how wrong you can be to make assumptions,because their team presented a masterclass in advance product marketing which gives confidence that in about a year,Rails order book will be massively healthy.I’m certain we’ll have much to relish with this model.

As an afterthought on the possible eventuality of competition and its consequences,look again at the images Edwardian has posted on the Rails Terrier thread and compare them with the Hornby competition.IMHO,there is no competition and these miniature jewels are here very soon.Those of us who own a Dapol B4 will know just how good their mechanism and running quality can be.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I was really hoping Bachmann would produce this one. Every time Hornby or a retailer produces these things it kills off the chance of them being shrunk to N gauge. Oh well... Enjoy you lucky 00 mob! :)

Well Dapol do N gauge as well so you never know. I always thought this would be sensible follow on for Bachmann when the C class came out. They never did. If they were too now, they are currently too slow to get all new items released (though they are addressing it) and the price point probably be higher too. In anycase, who knows, if Dapol do not follow up in N gauge, Bachmann may do one anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And that’s another question that was posed.....and indeed accepted as a possibility. ATM,Bachmann as we all accept are struggling to deliver anyway.I personally have the feeling that Hornby are in a similar position,so I can’t see another Terriergate looming.

I confess I didn’t see Dapol doing this one either and owned up to it to Joel.Proves how wrong you can be to make assumptions,because their team presented a masterclass in advance product marketing which gives confidence that in about a year,Rails order book will be massively healthy.I’m certain we’ll have much to relish with this model.

As an afterthought on the possible eventuality of competition and its consequences,look again at the images Edwardian has posted on the Rails Terrier thread and compare them with the Hornby competition.IMHO,there is no competition and these miniature jewels are here very soon.Those of us who own a Dapol B4 will know just how good their mechanism and running quality can be.

The Rails Terrier was announced quite early last year. Hornby accelerated their program, and announced it January this year when it was almost complete. The rush lead to several silly errors on their model and maybe even helped to push Rails/Dapol to improve theirs too. 

Now the D has been announced rather late in the year, so if Hornby have it in their 2020 program, it will be rather late to accelerate it to catch them up and beat them to it. Of course Hornby - if they are doing a D - could also already be at a very advanced stage too. Only we won't know their plans until either Warley or January 2020. Another duplication battle is going to open up another can of worms.

I love the SECR coming from the South East but I cannot see myself giving both makes a few orders for the same loco. It is amazing the SECR has become the number one pre-grouping region in RTR given that it was fairly small, stuck in a corner of the UK type railway with little chance of their locos appearing elsewhere. 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DavidH said:

Anyone else want to write an essay pointing out how they were invited to an exclusive presentation and the rest of us weren't?  :jester:

Glad you had fun people!

Essays from the respected and knowledgeable members of this community are very welcome.

Imagine the chaos and the arguments if we were all invited! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Hattons inclusion of a D Class with their generic coach graphics was suggestive.  The graphic looks like it could be derived from an engineering drawing, though I speculate as to that.  Hattons were not, I believe, tipped off about the D, which makes the use of it in their coach promotional material intriguing from our point of view.  Make of that what you will.

Lee Marsh's activity around the D was known, as I think it must have gone through official channels, but I don't think anyone is aware of anyone else engaged in a 4mm project. There is always a risk of duplication as projects are necessarily kept close to chests.  The Rails etc D is far advanced, with Q3 2020 delivery forecast, so we may simply never know of any cancelled plans or abortive duplicate projects.  

54 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The thing that most convinces me about this partnership is the genuine commitment of Rails, as partner with NRM, to "museum quality" models, as articulated and promoted by Brian Greenwood, as noted by Mike. Obviously, that still has to be within the constraints of what is commercially possible, but I find a preparedness to 'go the extra mile' at every turn. 

I am also a great believer in Dapol and the standards that it can deliver.  It must be remembered that Dapol's re-entry into the OO market was not that long ago. I think the reference to the B4 and its superb running qualities is very much on point here. I think the Rails/NRM partnership gives the opportunity for, and important impetus to, achieving Dapol's full potential. We have already seen this same partnership take the 4mm Terrier significantly beyond the relatively limited scope of the 7mm model from which it is derived.  With the D Class, the three partners start with a wholly blank sheet of paper for the first time, so this project will show what they are really capable of.  It's a privilege to be involved.  I think everyone who was at the launch on Tuesday will be of the view that the project is set to deliver a very high quality product.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Appears to be private :crazy:

Probably a knock-on from my monumental PITA PC day yesterday where it would do it's own thing irrespective of what settings I selected. Can you access it now?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest LU Standard Stock
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Probably a knock-on from my monumental PITA PC day yesterday where it would do it's own thing irrespective of what settings I selected. Can you access it now?

It's working now yes.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

It is amazing the SECR has become the number one pre-grouping region in RTR given that it was fairly small, stuck in a corner of the UK type railway with little chance of their locos appearing elsewhere. 

And only formed in 1901 from two warring railways determined to bankrupt each other. Several key towns still enjoy more rail travel options than might otherwise have been the case - Ashford, Maidstone, Canterbury, Dover, Ramsgate. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Please find attached photographs of D Class 1st shots. I must emphasise again that these are first shots (not an EP) which have been hand assembled. As such the fit and finish is not as per a final product, nor can it be expected to be (certainly not in the time Andy Forty had to assemble them)

1661166368_DClass1.jpg.e7c90b22c68175b3be696e3f1faf8372.jpg

580874403_DClass2.jpg.57572c11d58f1d1c5330fdcd8e003b9e.jpg

1356782856_DClass3.jpg.7433211288600096194d50c8b57fe56d.jpg

1554608066_DClass4.jpg.ee7b61e8074e00b6f39f34ea403d7a77.jpg1483428272_DClass5.jpg.aa04f545a1c3e5a00f6bf8f2ea74362e.jpg

2117275416_DClass6.jpg.88b19bf70e5c1916aff2554269e54a6c.jpg

191463842_DCLass7.jpg.ecd35930dc2a45dd72c25b207b7c847e.jpg

This is brilliant Rails. It is good to see the detailed variants.

May I ask, do you have a list of which loco will use which details in terms or Cab, chimney, buffers and tender etc?

Looking like it's going to be a stunning model! Are Rails able to give any sort of price estimate? Debating ordering two but as there is the deposit to pay I don't want to risk losing a deposit if I decide I can't afford two... "less than £200" could still very well be £199.99... 

8 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Looking like it's going to be a stunning model! Are Rails able to give any sort of price estimate? Debating ordering two but as there is the deposit to pay I don't want to risk losing a deposit if I decide I can't afford two... "less than £200" could still very well be £199.99... 

I think that's as good as you're going to get. As they noted, it will depend upon (such things as) exchange rates. And who can predict what will happen to the Great British drinking token post-B-word?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Watching the video I especially like the loco to tender close coupling plug together thingy

Coaches have had close coupling for years so it's nice to see it on a steam loco (I am not aware of it on any other loco previously?)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Well Dapol do N gauge as well so you never know. I always thought this would be sensible follow on for Bachmann when the C class came out. They never did. If they were too now, they are currently too slow to get all new items released (though they are addressing it) and the price point probably be higher too. In anycase, who knows, if Dapol do not follow up in N gauge, Bachmann may do one anyway.

Given the manufacturer is Dapol an N gauge version may not be outside the realms of possibility, depending on the terms of the arrangements between all of the interested parties and whether they felt the demand was there from the N gauge market. Have Dapol's own N Gauge pre-grouping Terriers sold well enough to convince Dapol there is a market? 

Bachmann are not adverse to producing models in N Gauge that are in others OO ranges, the Black 5 & forthcoming 8F being good examples but these are widespread common types. We have seen Bachmann dip their toe into the pre-grouping era in N Gauge with the Birdcage stock & C Class, but have sales of these done well enough to convince them the market is there for this period in the scale?

I hope Dapol can transfer some of the innovations and standards they are now incorporating with their OO range into any future N gauge Steam outline models they produce. I've been very impressed by what I've seen of both the Terrier and the D Class. The only problem is they are too big! 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

30 minutes ago, truffy said:

I think that's as good as you're going to get. As they noted, it will depend upon (such things as) exchange rates. And who can predict what will happen to the Great British drinking token post-B-word?

Even if they could guesstimate the lowest they'd be, which I reckon would be around the £180 mark. Which already makes me wonder if I can afford two, although , I'm probably going to end up doing it anyway haha. Not that I suspect there is any rush to pre order the Southern variants? 

To be clear I'm not one of *those* people that tend to populate every Facebook post whinging about how expensive accurate models are, it's worth every penny, just curious as to HOW expensive this one is going to be and to plan finances accordingly.... 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/10/2019 at 23:41, The Stationmaster said:

No.  Nobody asked that question and there was no sort of hint.  (Presumably the chassis and later pattern tender would be suitable - maybe an opportunity for a 3-D print approach?)

Ignoring the 1/8'' difference in wheelbase the 'D' chassis would require a deeper/angled ashpan for a D1 and cylinder bypass valves or the stubs where they were removed depending on date. The tender would need a new top extending the coal raves forward to a full height partition with a bank of three tool boxes ahead of this - and wider 'cabsides' & running plate to match the loco cab. ( Many 'D1's and 'E1's ran with mis-matched tenders - the 'E1' type having shallower running plate valance - so prototypes would have to be chosen carefully .... or options created ! ). In model railway terms, the 'D1' loco "body" had little in common with the 'D', of course. 

Edited by Wickham Green
addition
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well the Rails/ Bachmann Caley 812 is £199 (currently) , so that might be a guide . Similar complex pre grouping livery.  I've restricted myself to one model because of this.   Looks like the D might arrive before it though.  Well done Rails/ Dapol .  Clearly from posts on here there is a demand for a D and these test shots look exsquisite .  Hopefully this will be a roaring success and lead to other pre grouping locos being produced.   Dapol are certainly emerging as a good supplier of model railways . Their 68 is still the best diesel I've got .

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

As said, it is working now, thank you kindly for making this available.

• Thanks 1