Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

48 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

On the first sample it looked like the boiler  and smokebox was metal. This time it looks like only the boiler is metal now and all the grey parts are plastic which would make sense as they were keen to get the weight over the drivers to improve traction. 

My first interpretation was that most of it is now grey-primed metal and the boiler self-coloured black plastic ..... but I trust you're right !

Looking good - whatever - but shame about that horror sticking out from under the buffer beam ! ( maybe they'll leave that in the goodie bag - a 4-4-0 shouldn't have much use for a front coupling.)

12 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looking good - whatever - but shame about that horror sticking out from under the buffer beam ! ( maybe they'll leave that in the goodie bag - a 4-4-0 shouldn't have much use for a front coupling.)

IIRC, there was talk of a blanking plate that you could insert into the NEM pocket, having removed the front coupling.  This would result in something a little closer to the prototype. 

1646414646_DSCN8567-Copy.JPG.3572bbb70c6187d10c4b76ec9d2c9eb5.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

My first interpretation was that but shame about that horror sticking out from under the buffer beam ! ( maybe they'll leave that in the goodie bag - a 4-4-0 shouldn't have much use for a front coupling.)

Prototype for everything! Exhibit A

SECR Wainwright 'D' class 4-4-0, a Guildford engine, with a shunter's truck as its companion, stands at the edge of the carriage sidings at Clapham junction on 31/8/56.

Don't forget 00 RTR is for everyone, there's bound to be some owners running a layout with a terminus where the only viable option is to have it run around and pull the train out backwards! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Well having spent some time looking at it, I am rather impressed with the look of this model, it's absolutely beautiful!! (even if this is the wrong tooling for the one I want, I trust the earlier tooling to be just as beautiful!)

I shall continue to not pre-order, at least until we see the livery samples (I'm picky like that), partly because I already have D Class, and I only need one, but more would be nice (£200 is a lot of money for nice though, so it needs to be really nice)

One of the things I have noticed from my model is that in 4mm the space under the boiler is very visible up close, and with the lighting in the photos here I can see something in that space, but no detail on it, so just wondering is there an interpretation of the valve gear in there? I think I know the answer, just after a confirmation. I think I'm going to have to up my game and make the valve gear on mine working!

Wishing all the best to the team at Rails / Dapol, and looking forward to seeing more!!

Gary

PS. The couplings don't bother me, I'll take them off anyway, as long as there is space for me to fit some Smiths sprung screw links I'll be happy!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

My first interpretation was that most of it is now grey-primed metal and the boiler self-coloured black plastic ..... but I trust you're right !

from Dapol on fasebook 

Dapol Ltd Hi Matthew Lander The Footplate is plastic, chassis, boiler and smokebox are diecast. it has been done this way to get the centre of gravity correct on the model

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Dapol have posted a further image on FB with the PCB board sticking half out of the smokebox to show how easy it is to fit a next 18 chip (did they test for the bigger sound versions  because it barely comes out the smokebox door?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Dapol have posted a further image on FB with the PCB board sticking half out of the smokebox to show how easy it is to fit a next 18 chip (did they test for the bigger sound versions  because it barely comes out the smokebox door?).

The Zimo Next18 sound decoder fits in the Bachmann 009 Baldwin so I assume they’ve taken advantage of the tech as it is truly tiny ;) 

mx658n18 with the low current draw it’s 0.8 average, 1.5amp Max should be plenty. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Prototype for everything! Exhibit A

SECR Wainwright 'D' class 4-4-0, a Guildford engine, with a shunter's truck as its companion, stands at the edge of the carriage sidings at Clapham junction on 31/8/56.

Don't forget 00 RTR is for everyone, there's bound to be some owners running a layout with a terminus where the only viable option is to have it run around and pull the train out backwards! 

I have an exhibition layout of Hawkhurst and have been waiting for an 4-4-0 to complete the required stud of locomotives. I have pre-ordered two of these which will be used to haul the hop pickers specials into the station. Of course there was no turntable, so they will have to draw the trains out tender first as per the prototype.

The pre-production pictures look very good, so the models should be well up to the standard of those already available and in service of Hawkhurst. 

I do have South Eastern Finecast kits for the D and E in my maturing cupboard, (and a C), which are very good kits with nice etched chassis.  However, I could never paint and line them in full Wainwright livery to the standard of these models, so those can either be finished in unlined green or battleship grey, much more achievable,  at a later date.

Now looking forward to their arrival, hopefully not too far in the future.

Ray

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The original's elegance appears to have been successfully captured.

Just a thought for the photos of the forthcoming livery samples. Put the model on some code 75 bullhead and take a couple of pictures from a normal eye level...

... by which I take it you mean normal early 20th century camera level, about footplate level?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

... by which I take it you mean normal early 20th century camera level, about footplate level?

:laughclear:Is this on ground at sleeper level or from a convenient coal dock? etc etc

Cameramen stood on other things in the 20th century too ;) 

Sorry but there are already so many variables without starting on ground level ;) 

GG’s post above has a good angle to mimic directly for comparison.  

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

:laughclear:Is this on ground at sleeper level or from a convenient coal dock? etc etc

Sorry but there are already so many variables without starting on ground level ;) 

Without overcomplicating, a substantially side on view rather than from well above; to better show the proportions and form, and the daylight coming through where it should (hopefully).

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

GG’s post above has a good angle to mimic directly for comparison.  

I had in mind the classic posed on-shed view, so yes, sleeper level. GG's photo is 1950s, I think, rather later in the 20th century than I had in mind, by which time smaller, cheaper cameras were available for those quick enthusiast shots from the station platform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2019 at 10:40, GNR Dave said:

They already have the 'first engineering prototype' (does this mean 3D print ?) so work is obviously well advanced.

Would that be a 4D print?

As in a 3D D.  

OK I'll go now ;)

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, paulcornish said:

Does anybody know of a sound decoder that would be suitable for this model please?

So far I haven't managed to find one for D class.

Paul C. 

Looking back at the first post from this thread it needs to be a Next18 type chip.

There wont be an exact match obviously for sound. Youchoos do some SECR loco chips but not a D Class and cant vouch for the quality/accuracy of their sounds. I think it will be a case of wait until its released for someone to do a sound decoder tuned to the loco.

• Agree 1

On 31/05/2020 at 12:36, Pre Grouping fan said:

Looking back at the first post from this thread it needs to be a Next18 type chip.

There wont be an exact match obviously for sound. Youchoos do some SECR loco chips but not a D Class and cant vouch for the quality/accuracy of their sounds. I think it will be a case of wait until its released for someone to do a sound decoder tuned to the loco.

At the rush the best bet would be a SECR C class sound file, as they have the same designer and nearly same size cylinders. I’m sure the manufacturers of sound files will create one by combining the sound files for the N, H and C classes (which of course have all been taken from live recordings).

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

Hi there, has anyone had any opportunitunities to measure the Dapol D class?

Length of the loco in either cm or mm = buffer to buffer (from the front to the back)?

Appreciate it may/may not be possible due to situation of coronavirus.

Straightforward. The NRM website gives, for the preserved example, length over buffers as 57 ft (probably a bit of rounding there), so the model will be 228 mm over buffers - or add a millimetre or two more, depending on how you set the engine / tender coupling to cope with your minimum radius.