Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

On 03/08/2020 at 22:34, drt7uk said:

Hello @Oliver Rails hope you're keeping well - just wondered if there was an update on the project? I'm guessing Covid has delayed things a bit, is Q4 more likely at the moment? Cheers, David

Picked up the September edition of Hornby magazine on Friday and the full page Dapol advert has the D Class as well as the GWR Mogul as 'coming soon ' which normally means they are in production  or being shipped.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Picked up the September edition of Hornby magazine on Friday and the full page Dapol advert has the D Class as well as the GWR Mogul as 'coming soon ' which normally means they are in production  or being shipped.

I can't imagine they're in production just yet as they haven't even had decorated samples yet? 

9 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I can't imagine they're in production just yet as they haven't even had decorated samples yet? 

That's what surprised me, as the adverts normally show items that are imminent. The photo used for the Ds is of the artwork and acknowledged as such, other models shown as 'coming' are the 2-6-0 GWR moguls in 'oo' and the Class 122s in 'O' and Conflats with containers in 'O'

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely to think that something so elegant ran only a small field away from the house where I was born, albeit 25 years after Grouping! Fortunately there is photographic evidence of a D at my local station, Betchworth, in the mid-50s. 

• Like 5

Good lord.. That looks fantastic. Everything has an air of fidelity to it too, all exceedingly well proportioned.

Is that an etched plate on the rear of the tender?

I might be reaching, but is there an update on the estimated release date, or price?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

That does look very nice, but I hope that coal load is removable as it lets the model down, not looking very authentic. 

Roy

I understand why they come with plastic coal loads but I tend to agree with you about their look. 

Other than that I think that's a really lovely looking model. Not sure about the all the handrails being silver but that's easily changed. 

I also prefer the slightly tarnished look to the dome and safety valve cover, looking at this and then the Hornby H, the H looks a bit tacky, and they didn't do the safety valve cover in chrome. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I understand why they come with plastic coal loads but I tend to agree with you about their look. 

Other than that I think that's a really lovely looking model. Not sure about the all the handrails being silver but that's easily changed. 

I also prefer the slightly tarnished look to the dome and safety valve cover, looking at this and then the Hornby H, the H looks a bit tacky, and they didn't do the safety valve cover in chrome. 

The rest is stunning, but a coal load won't look that even within minutes of leaving the yard, if it was ever that flat. Which is, of course, highly unlikely as it would most probably have been mounded in the middle to avoid having to coal too often. Yes, the coal will be levelled by the fireman, but still, not looking like that.

Roy

4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

The rest is stunning, but a coal load won't look that even within minutes of leaving the yard, if it was ever that flat. Which is, of course, highly unlikely as it would most probably have been mounded in the middle to avoid having to coal too often. Yes, the coal will be levelled by the fireman, but still, not looking like that.

Roy

Slight minor issue.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I guess that all depends on what is underneath the paint. Presumably not a silver/ steel colour or why paint?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

That does look very nice, but I hope that coal load is removable as it lets the model down, not looking very authentic. 

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

yes but neither will the footplate look that spotless either.

A bit of perspective, the footplate is fantastic, I wouldn’t change it, the coal is fine, unless your planning to weather it, make the cab filthy, then yes adjust the coal.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

yes but neither will the footplate look that spotless either.

A bit of perspective, the footplate is fantastic, I wouldn’t change it, the coal is fine, unless your planning to weather it, make the cab filthy, then yes adjust the coal.

Does nobody read what I actually say? Yes, I have said that the rest is stunning, I just get frustrated that moulded coal often looks nothing like real coal (in terms of shape) at any point in a loco's daily life. As soon as I looked at those pictures (and started top-down so the 3/4 view first), my eye was drawn to that flat coal load. Pitty.

Roy 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does nobody read what I actually say?

Yep ;) that’s why I looked to see if there were clues it was removable. 

Anyway pointless exercises like raking the coal almost level were required by some shedmasters in the early days as were white overalls on some companies! I agree it looks very manicured but it’s easy to add a bit of crushed coal with pva on top to look like a freshly coaled loco and it should be easy to remove it to model a partially empty tender whether they’ve modelled the coal space under it or not. 

5 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yep ;) that’s why I looked to see if there were clues it was removable. 

Anyway pointless exercises like raking the coal almost level were required by some shedmasters in the early days as were white overalls on some companies! 

I also saw the gap between the load and the tender, and surmised that the load is removable.

The mould will also probably be used for the other (SR/BR) models, when the punctilious shed masters were, presumably, a thing of the past.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1