Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Absolutely marvellous - I'm glad I ordered one from Locomotion.  Obviouly "488" is a good number for a loco -  Adams Radial!

Do you know if there weill be a spare front bogie included like City of Truro for those People whio don't want a front coupling?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

That does look very nice, but I hope that coal load is removable as it lets the model down, not looking very authentic. 

Roy

Looks like it will be with that big gap... I don't own any Dapol locos as yet though so I couldn't confirm it either way.

Otis

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does nobody read what I actually say? Yes, I have said that the rest is stunning, I just get frustrated that moulded coal often looks nothing like real coal (in terms of shape) at any point in a loco's daily life. As soon as I looked at those pictures (and started top-down so the 3/4 view first), my eye was drawn to that flat coal load. Pitty.

Roy 

I have de ja vu too.

If the coal bothers you change it. But without dirtying up the footplate, to me its nebulous changing it, just nit picking.

It would never come off shed with coal like that and a spotless footplate. But if displayed in a museum condition, it could. It looks more like museum condition than working condition.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Absolutely marvellous - I'm glad I ordered one from Locomotion.  Obviouly "488" is a good number for a loco -  Adams Radial!

Do you know if there weill be a spare front bogie included like City of Truro for those People whio don't want a front coupling?

I had a look at the video of the product launch at the NRM last year. One of the presenters informs us that there will be a blanking plate that will fit into the front NEM pocket to  give a more authentic appearance.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

These are the first “pressings “ for appraisal by Dapol & Rails.It would be inappropriate to draw definitive conclusions from what we see,courtesy of Edwardian.You can confirm zilch one way or the other with regard to current Dapol design and practice for the simple reason that their first tender locomotive model ,the GW mogul is not due for release until later this month. That is to say you have as yet no yardstick to use in judgement. I do understand Roy’s concern over the coal however.

Having ,like Mike,been in at its NRM launch way back last October and been allowed the rare privilege of cabbing 737 that morning,I am so looking forward to this .I believe we’re in for a treat.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

These are the first “pressings “ for appraisal by Dapol & Rails.It would be inappropriate to draw definitive conclusions from what we see,courtesy of Edwardian.You can confirm zilch one way or the other with regard to current Dapol design and practice for the simple reason that their first tender locomotive model ,the GW mogul is not due for release until later this month. That is to say you have as yet no yardstick to use in judgement. I do understand Roy’s concern over the coal however.

Having ,like Mike,been in at its NRM launch way back last October and been allowed the rare privilege of cabbing 737 that morning,I am so looking forward to this .I believe we’re in for a treat.

And one thing we learnt that day is that the engine/tender coupling on the D uses the same design of mechanism as the one on the GW mogul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I have de ja vu too.

If the coal bothers you change it. But without dirtying up the footplate, to me its nebulous changing it, just nit picking.

It would never come off shed with coal like that and a spotless footplate. But if displayed in a museum condition, it could. It looks more like museum condition than working condition.

Forgive me for trying to give feedback. Yes I could change it, but is it really so hard for it to look better in the first place?

Shall I shall go stand in the naughty corner and give up posting what I think can be improved?

Roy

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

And given the provenance of the model - the NRM - that seems reasonable. As for realism in such a model, how far do we go? Certainly the cab footplate is never clean once men get on board and light a fire, but from that moment various other parts of the loco start to get a bit grimy, too. As a memento of the showpiece in the NRM, any weathering would seem wrong. As a working model on a layout we each have our own ideas of how much looks right, and I want less than most. In fact less than almost anyone else. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

For commercial reasons I've removed the images posted yesterday for now; studio images will be available in due course.

I wondered what all the oohing and ahhing were about as I couldn't see what all the fuss was about:scratchhead:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Forgive me for trying to give feedback. Yes I could change it, but is it really so hard for it to look better in the first place?

Shall I shall go stand in the naughty corner and give up posting what I think can be improved?

Roy

I have de ja vu there too. Its usually my corner & my line.

we must have picked up the wrong scripts today.

:-)

Its a great looking model, if its intended to be museum finish, I think my request would be to gloss it up a little. Even on a dull day this loco is shiny.

I cant wait to see the final result, but as it stands I wont be changing anything on mine.. it looked superb.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

I have shown my commitment by ordering two.  The SE&CR ones, full Wainwright, not the museum one I did not want it too shiny, and the battleship grey one. Fingers crossed that they get the assembly right without anything being twisted. They will take pride of place on my Hawkhurst layout.

All the best

Ray

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I understand why they come with plastic coal loads but I tend to agree with you about their look. 

Other than that I think that's a really lovely looking model. Not sure about the all the handrails being silver but that's easily changed. 

I also prefer the slightly tarnished look to the dome and safety valve cover, looking at this and then the Hornby H, the H looks a bit tacky, and they didn't do the safety valve cover in chrome. 

I'm in the same boat as you, I understand why the coal loads are there but no matter how good they are they never match up to the real thing so it is a pain when they are not easily removable.

I think the handrails are a bit too shiny but at least they are actually silver in real life unlike those on the LSWR B4 and others so no problem there...

On the matter of the high shine chrome finish I actually don't mind it too much on this model; if you look at the real loco at the NRM (which is what the model is basing all its' looks on) you can see the brass is in a similar condition. I didn't particularly like Hornby's rendering of polished brass on the H as they chose to use a completely different and quite matte paint on the safety valve cover.

The only real gripe I have with the model at the moment is how matte the green is. As they have gone for the 'museum approach' for the brass I think it is a bit miss-matched and it actually makes the colour look darker and less yellow than it really is. If it was up to me I would use something similar to Rapido's Stirling Single paint that makes the model look like it's really metal without being overly shiny or overly plasticy - a Goldilocks paint if you will! 

All things considered though, she looks absolutely jaw-dropping and with just 3 photos the vast majority of my faith in Dapol has been restored! I should really wait until my terrier arrives before being so hopeful but I don't care, I have faith this time (touch wood)! 

Otis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I have de ja vu too.

So why does any pristine steam model come with a coal load in the first place if it's not prototypical? I am confused with your point, the coal is still very visible, dirty footplate or not.

The museum example doesn't have coal in the tender and as I assume all models, including those which aren't preserved, will have the same load isn't the museum point null? 

Just a thought,

Otis

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Otis JB said:

Oh if anyone was curious as to what the livery samples look like but missed the pictures I have a solution:

These are O gauge models made by the Lee Marsh Model Co. Just imagine them but roughly 1/2 the size! 

Cheers,

Otis

I so nearly bought one of those back when they came out. But quickly told myself realistically it would only really be a display model, and the price although fair for the quality of the model was high. 

Edited by AY Mod
Copyright images removed.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I so nearly bought one of those back when they came out. But quickly told myself realistically it would only really be a display model, and the price although fair for the quality of the model was high. 

They are in a class of their own... Working valve gear too I believe! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does nobody read what I actually say? Yes, I have said that the rest is stunning, I just get frustrated that moulded coal often looks nothing like real coal (in terms of shape) at any point in a loco's daily life. As soon as I looked at those pictures (and started top-down so the 3/4 view first), my eye was drawn to that flat coal load. Pitty.

Roy 

It won't put me off, because I'll be chucking it!

The plastic coal loads in r-t-r tenders are almost NEVER realistic. The only ones I find even vaguely tolerable are those on Hornby SR bogie and watercart tenders. I'll be (very pleasantly) surprised if that ever changes.

One of the first things I do to a new model being prepared for traffic (once satisfied I won't be sending it back), is remove it and add a helping from my jar of crushed real stuff.

In any case, the sample appears (appeared now the pics have gone) to portray the loco in its NRM "stuffed and mounted" condition, so the tender should strictly be empty....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:
  1. Yes the coal load is removable. The fit will be improved on final production models. Should the coal be removed it will reveal that the tender inner is fully modelled and detailed.

Perfect. Thanks Oliver, that makes me very happy.

Roy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:
  • Yes the coal load is removable. The fit will be improved on final production models. Should the coal be removed it will reveal that the tender inner is fully modelled and detailed.
  • No replacement bogie will be supplied (similar to City of Truro), however instead a unique plate will be supplied which plugs into the NEM socket to hide the socket should you wish to remove the coupling.
  • Various alterations will be made to the livery and application so livery samples shots should not be taken as final product.

All of that sounds excellent, the blanking plate is a smart solution, and i'm excited to hear that the tender inner is all there!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Lee Marsh 7 mm scale SECR full Wainwright D has been mentioned and questions have been asked about the price of the Rails model. Obviously there's no comparison, since the production methods are significantly different, but considering the £2,600 or so price, one could conclude that for similar quality in 4 mm scale one should not de-rate by the linear dimensions but maybe by surface area, given the complexity of the livery - £850 - or perhaps by volume - £485. So I think one can conclude that whatever price Rails settle on, it'll be a bargain!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1