Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And given the provenance of the model - the NRM - that seems reasonable. As for realism in such a model, how far do we go? Certainly the cab footplate is never clean once men get on board and light a fire, but from that moment various other parts of the loco start to get a bit grimy, too. As a memento of the showpiece in the NRM, any weathering would seem wrong. As a working model on a layout we each have our own ideas of how much looks right, and I want less than most. In fact less than almost anyone else. 

I  ASSUME  that, at least for a time, these would have been the premiere loco of the line and used for such things as special trains for foreign royalty and dignitaries travelling up to London from the Channel.

So a "perfect" condition loco is not really un-prototypical.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

, one could conclude that for similar quality in 4 mm scale one should not de-rate by the linear dimensions but maybe by surface area, given the complexity of the livery - £850 - or maybe by volume - £485. So I think one can conclude that whatever price Rails settle on, it'll be a bargain!

Yeah linear wet dream for the manufacturers owned by investment banks :diablo_mini: 

Dapol and Rails have done some fantastic models at keen prices but I doubt anyone will call it a bargain ;) even compared to the exquisite Lee Marsh ones which will last a lot longer because of the materials used being more stable, not that I suspect most of us will see modern plastics suffer ;) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I  ASSUME  that, at least for a time, these would have been the premiere loco of the line and used for such things as special trains for foreign royalty and dignitaries travelling up to London from the Channel.

Depends on what we mean by "perfect" and I assume you know that hence your use of quotes.

Smokeboxes will look used, bufferheads be greased etc, however much the loco is looked after.

As soon as a loco has been moved, it will start to get dirty. We can clean and polish a loco before going off shed, but there will be marks on it before we even couple up to the stock.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I so nearly bought one of those back when they came out. But quickly told myself realistically it would only really be a display model, and the price although fair for the quality of the model was high. 

I've kind of come to the same conclusion . The "Oooh shiny , want one" side of me says buy buy buy , but, on the other hand ,theres my Hornby Rocket experience , where I ran it on layout for all of 20 mins and its now in the bookcase!

It does look nice though . Seriously tempted . If only it had been a Caley Dunalastair .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

I might also add that the crews probably enjoyed working on these engines and appreciated them enough to clean and polish them on quite a regular basis. I make this point because of the 'scrapped back' wartime livery where crews removed the grey paint to reveal the brass on the wheel arches, demonstrating that even in wartime the SECR cared about the looks of their machinery. Not that surprising when you think that they also painted and lined out every inch of their freight locos! 

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yeah linear wet dream for the manufacturers owned by investment banks :diablo_mini: 

Dapol and Rails have done some fantastic models at keen prices but I doubt anyone will call it a bargain ;) even compared to the exquisite Lee Marsh ones which will last a lot longer because of the materials used being more stable, not that I suspect most of us will see modern plastics suffer ;) 

Interesting that you've said that, I thought modern plastic was the solution to all our prayers about the deterioration of models from by-gone companies. I have Mainline wagons from 30+ years ago that still look the part, do models have an unspoken, expected lifespan then? 

18 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

Interesting that you've said that, I thought modern plastic was the solution to all our prayers about the deterioration of models from by-gone companies. I have Mainline wagons from 30+ years ago that still look the part, do models have an unspoken, expected lifespan then? 

I hope that they are not bi-degradable !!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Otis JB said:

I have Mainline wagons from 30+ years ago that still look the part, do models have an unspoken, expected lifespan then? 

Yes, they will still mostly be ok like my Hornby stuff from the 70’s but the plastic is degrading and will be more brittle than new. I’ve had to repair old models that have cracked and some start to crumble as you repair it. 

As I hinted they will generally outlive us but after 100yrs most will have degraded and become very fragile even if they look mint. Plastic just degrades in a different way and it is harder to control its degradation than metal. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes, they will still mostly be ok like my Hornby stuff from the 70’s but the plastic is degrading and will be more brittle than new. I’ve had to repair old models that have cracked and some start to crumble as you repair it. 

As I hinted they will generally outlive us but after 100yrs most will have degraded and become very fragile even if they look mint. Plastic just degrades in a different way and it is harder to control its degradation than metal. 

Bloomin' heck - don't tell my missus that because she usually accepts my point that all these things I buy will be heirlooms left to the offspring:blink::rolleyes:

• Funny 10

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

Presumably the Southern olive colour won't be accepted for production :o

I have already gone back with that directly and it's already been noted. It looks like a Drummond or Urie shade but I wouldn't know how that reconciles with lettering/number styles/colouration without more digging.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have already gone back with that directly and it's already been noted. It looks like a Drummond or Urie shade but I wouldn't know how that reconciles with lettering/number styles/colouration without more digging.

Must have got the liveries mixed up with the T3 they will be doing next :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

I'm not much of an expert on BR lining but isn't there normally some grey and white involved on the cab sides and tender? 

Hi,

Correct, again this has already been identified and will be included on the final production models

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

That is not even "olive". It's LSWR green. How weird!

Edit: I also have my doubts about the lining of the splashers on the BR version and consequent odd placing of the number. But I will need to find some photos to confirm that.

Re-edit: I have found photos that show the number in different locations on the cabside. Some have the splasher lining as shown on the livery sample. Others have the lining carried up from the splasher around the cabside and the number lower down (less pretty). All of them seem to show no lining on the boiler but that may just be down to a lack of cleaning.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Agree 1

The sunshine lettering looks a bit thick, particularly the numbers but perhaps it's just the angle?

An undated view of Southern Railway, Wainwright 'D' class 4-4-0 No 1057 in unlined black livery and sporting Bulleid 'sunshine' style markings is depicted here in the company of an SR horse box at Ashford atation. Mike Morant collection

As has been stated, they very obviously managed to stick the wrong green on the SR one. I presumed it'll be the same shade as the SR Terrier? 

Edit: it does look sexy in wartime black though. 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Edit: I also have my doubts about the lining of the splashers on the BR version and consequent odd placing of the number. But I will need to find some photos to confirm that.

Re-edit: I have found photos that show the number in different locations on the cabside. Some have the splasher lining as shown on the livery sample. Others have the lining carried up from the splasher around the cabside and the number lower down (less pretty). All of them seem to show no lining on the boiler but that may just be down to a lack of cleaning.

Presumably the lining on 31574 is supposed to be the lining on 31574.

It's easy to see how the omission of the grey/cream lines on the tender happened, since there is no grey/cream lining on the engine, except along the bottom of the valence. (Shouldn't the red line on the valence be closer up to the grey/cream?) Rails have chosen well here - there is such a variety of ways in which the lining was applied to splashers and cabside to keep them and the collectors going for years...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That is not even "olive". It's LSWR green. How weird!

The love child of a Southern Green and Khaki ROD loco sprung to mind when I saw that.

Edit: I do like the SECR versions.

Roy  

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Funny 1