Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Given the fluctuations in currency exchange rates and many uncertainties in world markets in the last 3 months any pricing that could be construed as a a firm offer might not be too wise.  Pricing could be very uncertain until the actual landed cost in the UK is determined.  Recent forward foreign exchange contracts have large uncertainty factors priced in for all currencies for both short and long term. The previous practice has been to price agreements for Chinese produced model trains for the UK markets in the US dollar has recently plummeted and the value of the USD has become an unstable benchmark since late last year.

Edited by autocoach
clarity
  • Agree 1

On 28/02/2021 at 02:53, Oliver Rails said:

The Wainwright D Class is one of them. Production is in the final stages and as factories slowly return to full speed after CNY we are expecting a new update really soon. 

EXCITING! Really looking forward to this.

19 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Is it me, or has it disappeared off their website?

The website is a bit odd. It was a while until I noticed a very discrete link “Rails Special Editions”. All of them (not just the Ds) are there. If I were at Rails, I would have made it a lot more prominent. It’s curious that the D is still marked as “aimed” to be under £200 whereas Rails has committed to a price on the Caley 812 Class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

According an interview with Rails of Sheffield on 5 March they expect end of March begin of 2nd quarter.

This is the interview with all the new to expect releases

the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJ2SRRJln4

It appears that was filmed before remembrance day last year as it mentions the class 66 so bit out of date I think so not sure why they uploaded it again last weekend.

Probably be another update at the weekend for the virtual exhibition. 

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

SR green livery - looks more like LNER apple green to me!

Like it says, they're the livery samples (which were first seen some time ago and are discussed upthread) and changes are being made, they say. So suspend judgement! To relieve boredom while you're waiting, read through this topic from the top.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

SR green livery - looks more like LNER apple green to me!

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3178/wainwright-d-class

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Like it says, they're the livery samples (which were first seen some time ago and are discussed upthread) and changes are being made, they say. So suspend judgement! To relieve boredom while you're waiting, read through this topic from the top.

For the benefit of Fittersnoop, and others who have not read thus far, as Stephen says, Rails has stated that the livery will be updated to a Maunsell olive green. 

I have the advantage of having been at the meeting where these livery samples were reviewed and discussed.  While some Ds were said to have received a 'sickly' green in early Southern days, this model is in the 1931 numbering scheme, so by that stage nothing but lined Maunsell olive green would be used, which was still being applied to repaints of the class in 1939, IIRC.  While Maunsell green covers a multitude of sins, it is certainly not the light shade depicted in the sample.  That is fully understood, so prospective purchasers should not be put off by that. 

Edited by Edwardian
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I know it has been noted that prices are confirmed (I had an email yesterday, I find), but for any not in receipt of this email it says:

4S-027-001 SECR Green No.488 £199.99

4S-027-002 Southern Lined Maunsell Olive Green No.1730 £199.99

4S-027-003 BR Sunshine Black No.31731 £189.99

4S-027-004 BR Lined Black Early Crest  No.31574 £199.99

4S-027-005 SECR Grey (Scraped Beading) No.726 £189.99

4S-027-006  Southern Sunshine  No.1734 £189.99

Delivery is expected in mid-2021

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you've pre-ordered through Rails, you may need to actively "accept" the price - when I logged in to Rails' website last night to look at my orders I was confronted by a window insisting I either "Accept new Price" or "Cancel this Pre-order", and couldn't find a way round it... 

Confusingly, said window stated that the price had increased by £229.99 - from the -£30 currently listed on my account (as I'd paid the deposit) to £199.99.  It might be correct in accountancy terms, but "increased by £229.99" could be (mis)interpreted that I need to pay a further £229.99...  

I've "Accepted", and await the models with patient anticipation!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I saw this and checked my account and got the accept new price thing but no email to prompt me to look. I’d advise checking your account if you ordered online. 
I’m a little concerned that this lack of notification email again as I never had one for the Rocket coach cancellation either. 
I’ll pm this to Oliver. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes I saw this and checked my account and got the accept new price thing but no email to prompt me to look. I’d advise checking your account if you ordered online. 
I’m a little concerned that this lack of notification email again as I never had one for the Rocket coach cancellation either. 
I’ll pm this to Oliver. 

Thanks for the heads up. I have now logged on and agreed to the price.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have now logged on and agreed to the price.

Yes I echo the thanks and have logged on and accepted the price. Would perhaps have been nice if Rails had actually emailed those that a pre order in to confirm rather than finding out via a forum! Whilst accepting the locos are not complete updating the livery sample photos may have perhaps convinced some who are on the fence. That said I am very much looking forward to getting my SE&CR pair. :)

• Agree 1

Mmm, I had one on order. Given the length of time since I ordered my initial enthusiasm for a SECR Livery loco has waned a bit now especially seeing the one pictured, it does not pop like the photos of the real thing. Could it be the Satin finish?

I think I will give this a miss now. order has been cancelled.

• Agree 1