Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Now that the excitement of a recent house move is over with I have now got my BR early crest D class pre-order in.

I’m half tempted to save up and get the version with British Railways on the tender. I’m excited for this as the wainwright classes are my favourite family of locomotives. 

Big James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

According to rails on Facebook they on the boat. So not to far away now. 

quick question for those more knowledgeable then me how long did the british railways lettering on the D class last before repainted? As I run my layout from 51-61.

Big James

They can take their time arriving, I just had to pay out two D Classes worth of repairs (pair of brake discs, pads and a caliper) on my car =( thank goodness my pay day is coming before the Ds do! 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

They can take their time arriving, I just had to pay out two D Classes worth of repairs (pair of brake discs, pads and a caliper) on my car =( thank goodness my pay day is coming before the Ds do! 

The new international unit of currency - The "D"

Shopping for the week = 1/2 D

Shopping for the week with the wife = 2 D

and so on.

:D

• Funny 5

16 hours ago, Big James said:

According to rails on Facebook they on the boat. So not to far away now. 

Big James

Truly exciting e-mail from Rails setting out the estimated times of all the exclusives, starting with the D. Each month, something new. Rails is really going it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I have two on order and have just had to order a new washing machine, which is coming Monday morning.

My car is in for its annual service and MOT on Wednesday as well !

Its going to be a lean couple of months.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I have 3 of these on order with Rails plus a sound fitted one with the NRM.

Now these 4 locos, plus the SECR vans, pus the SECR genisis coaches, plus the BEP, plus the full APT, plus a Accurscale Deltic, plus a Victory tank, plus......

Briefly 2022 is going to be a peaceful year.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I have two on order and have just had to order a new washing machine, which is coming Monday morning.

My car is in for its annual service and MOT on Wednesday as well !

Its going to be a lean couple of months.

Ray

Buying locomotives seems to lend itself to buying matching coaches. I have a rather large pile of Birdcage coaches in various liveries that I didn't have before the D samples were shown a few months ago! What with the genesis coaches arriving in a few months I'm sort of hoping 2022 is one of those years there's nothing that takes my fancy but then I wouldn't say no to an E class :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Venator said:

Buying locomotives seems to lend itself to buying matching coaches. I have a rather large pile of Birdcage coaches in various liveries that I didn't have before 

I'm waiting / hoping for a malachite set to enter a sale to accompany my black D, I have an olive set for my olive D from when the birdcages were first released.

I always seem to couple black locos with malachite coaches and olive with olive on my layout, I'm sure olive locos pulled malachite carriages in real life but the colours clash horribly :p black locos on olive carriages look alright 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'm waiting / hoping for a malachite set to enter a sale to accompany my black D, I have an olive set for my olive D from when the birdcages were first released.

I always seem to couple black locos with malachite coaches and olive with olive on my layout, I'm sure olive locos pulled malachite carriages in real life but the colours clash horribly :p black locos on olive carriages look alright 

I managed to get a malachite set on ebay the other day for £172, which I thought was a good price considering new it would have been £219. I have the SE&CR dark lake set to acompany the D in SE&CR full, the SE&CR brown set to acompany the D in wartime grey, the Maunsell green set to acompany the D in olive green and the BR red set to acompany the D in BR black. My budget didn't quite extend to getting the Sunshine southern D but you never know!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Venator said:

I managed to get a malachite set on ebay the other day for £172, which I thought was a good price considering new it would have been £219. I have the SE&CR dark lake set to acompany the D in SE&CR full, the SE&CR brown set to acompany the D in wartime grey, the Maunsell green set to acompany the D in olive green and the BR red set to acompany the D in BR black. My budget didn't quite extend to getting the Sunshine southern D but you never know!

Gosh that's about 2ks worth of birdcages and Ds, that's dedicated collecting! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

He is not alone.

I have ordered both the SECR D in full Wainwright ordered (one sound fitted), plus the grey D, plus a BR black D. To go with them are all 16 Hattons SECR Genisis coaches, 2 sets of 3 Dark lake birdcages, 1 set of Wellington Brown coaches and a set of Crimson BR coaches. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Well I am born and bred Ashford!  What's left of the works is about 10 minutes cycle from home. I get deeply irritated that so many 'southern' dvds and books really mean the ex LSWR territory, almost as though the eastern and central sections didn't exist. So in a small way trying to put that right on my layout.

17 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

He is not alone.

I have ordered both the SECR D in full Wainwright ordered (one sound fitted), plus the grey D, plus a BR black D. To go with them are all 16 Hattons SECR Genisis coaches, 2 sets of 3 Dark lake birdcages, 1 set of Wellington Brown coaches and a set of Crimson BR coaches. 

Glad I'm not the only one who ordered the entire selection of Hattons genesis coaches in SE&CR....... :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Might your layout be set in the first half of the 20th century by any chance ??

My current layout no. But the next one will be or at least be Sheffield Park in early 20th century colours (I know its slightly outside the SECR, but I have a choice of preservation or early 20th century setting).

This year we should have rolling stock for the following SECR trains:

1/ 2 sets of Dark lake birdcages

2/ 1 set of Wellington Brown birdcages

3/ a rake of 6 6 wheeler coaches

4/ a rake of 6 4 wheeler coaches

5/ a mixed rake of 4  4 & 6  wheeler coaches

6/ an LCDR train (4&6 wheelers) kits to be built, rake of 3

7/ a military train WWI

8/ a private owner train (kentish, various RTR items)

9/ a Maunsel SECR goods train (mix of RTR and Cambrian kits)

10/ Early goods train, mix of LCDR, SER, SECR Wainwright items (kits and RTR)

Locos for these:

DCC

Wainwright D class sound fitted

Wainwright C class sound fitted

Wainwright simplified C class plain DCC fitted

Wainwright H class sound fitted

Wainwright H class plain DCC fitted

Wainwright P class sound fitted

Wainwright P class plain DCC fitted

Wainwright Terrier plain DCC fitted

Non DCC - all Wainwright

Wainwright D class

Wainwright C class

Wainwright H class

Wainwright P class

Wainwright Terrier

Non DCC - all grey

N class

D class

C class

J class (kit)

P class

There are a couple of old Wrenn R1 class laying around but we'll doubtless add additional locos over time.

Edited by JSpencer

1 hour ago, Venator said:

Well I am born and bred Ashford!  What's left of the works is about 10 minutes cycle from home. I get deeply irritated that so many 'southern' dvds and books really mean the ex LSWR territory, almost as though the eastern and central sections didn't exist. 

I can relate, I am born and bred Brighton and have noticed the LSWR section seems to be a bit over represented in RTR  compared with other regions but slowly more Central and Eastern stock is emerging

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Well I am born and bred Ashford!  What's left of the works is about 10 minutes cycle from home. I get deeply irritated that so many 'southern' dvds and books really mean the ex LSWR territory, almost as though the eastern and central sections didn't exist. 

I am the same as you. I grew up on the Romney marsh. I used to listen to the older generation talk about the now vanished stations at Lydd and new Romney. The next layout is gonna be a fictional layout based on the kent coast line with a branch that connects with the marsh link line. 
Back to the D class though they look amazing. And can’t come soon enough. 

big James 

• Like 2